+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fuel costs in General; ...
    theeldergeek

Fuel costs

Anyone here considering boycotting mainstream petrol retailers such as Esso or BP as per another campaign I just noted on Facebook? (this one is to boycott Esso and BP long term, not just for a day)

Should such campaigns work, or are they destined to fail from the outset for political or economical reasons?

Me personally, I'll boycott Esso as they are the most prevalent retailer in this area, but obviously it'll only work if 100's of 1000's of motorists all do the same thing.

I pay something like £90 a month on fuel at best, probably more if I scrutinised my expenditure closely enough which I don't see the point of doing because I'd still spend the same, I can't avoid it! Even a saving of £30 a month would benefit me - it'd cover my monthly cost of insurance for example.

Perhaps with the current political climate as it is, and the apparent feeling of 'enough is enough' that the politicians speak about the electorate having, has the British public got the fight left in them to actually do something to drive prices down, or is it just another hopeless 'chain' campaign surfacing to coincide in tandem with the forthcoming General Election?

Interested to learn what other 'geekers think of such campaigns and whether you would/will actually take an active part.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 19th April 2010 at 10:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It'll make no difference, even if you buy from independents, they all get their fuel from refineries owned and operated by the big companies anyway. They usually make more money from independent sales too, as they put extra markup on the fuel sold to them...

Thank Post
    ive come to terms with the cost of fuel now, its going to go up, take half of my wage and leave me sad for a moment, but having the ability to drive everywhere over-rules the sadness...

Thank Post
    Shouldn't the price come down now, due to supply and demand for oil, given that the airlines haven't been using much this week?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Shouldn't the price come down now, due to supply and demand for oil, given that the airlines haven't been using much this week?
    Unfortunately cars don't run on aviation fuel and, while that will be stockpiled, there has probably been higher than usual demand for petrol and diesel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Yeah right! Better start toning up my legs for the 37 mile each way bike journey I will soon have to make....

Thank Post
    I use tescos its £1.20 a litre seems to go up every week while the cost of a barrel comes down added to that road tax has gone up £15 quid it seems that the goverment want to stop the average man owning a car so the fat cats can have a clear road.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daz666 View Post
    I use tescos its £1.20 a litre seems to go up every week while the cost of a barrel comes down added to that road tax has gone up £15 quid it seems that the goverment want to stop the average man owning a car so the fat cats can have a clear road.
    The policy has always been the same - get individual drivers off the roads, and in to trains.

Thank Post
    Its not that the price of a barrel is going up - its the sodding tax on the fuel thats going up.. isnt about 80% of the pump price just tax anyway?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Anyone here considering boycotting mainstream petrol retailers such as Esso or BP as per another campaign I just noted on Facebook? (this one is to boycott Esso and BP long term, not just for a day)

Should such campaigns work, or are they destined to fail from the outset for political or economical reasons?
    Sadly with fuel they're destined to fail, as localzuk said.

The petrol will still be needed, and will still be sold. All it might do is hurt some of the large retailer companies who have the power to try and drive prices down a little because they purchase in such large amounts. A campaign like this would need people to stop driving, or reduce their driving for a time.

I'm looking at switching to a bike as soon as I can afford one worth having, and using the car only for longer trips. Hopefully the ever-increasing prices will lead more people to do the same (where they can), but no campaign is going to help as things stand. Not unless there's a change in approach to instead put pressure on the government over the issue, rather than try to attack the production companies via the retailers.

I'm not talking about a simple petition or facebook group, but more organised, consistent lobbying by experienced consumer groups with a record of successful campaigns.

Me personally, I'll boycott Esso as they are the most prevalent retailer in this area, but obviously it'll only work if 100's of 1000's of motorists all do the same thing.

I pay something like £90 a month on fuel at best, probably more if I scrutinised my expenditure closely enough which I don't see the point of doing because I'd still spend the same, I can't avoid it! Even a saving of £30 a month would benefit me - it'd cover my monthly cost of insurance for example.
    All you can do is look at any way that you can avoid it. Boycotting certain companies won't make a difference, only a reduction in the demand for petrol or properly applied political pressure will even start to bring about a change.

Perhaps with the current political climate as it is, and the apparent feeling of 'enough is enough' that the politicians speak about the electorate having, has the British public got the fight left in them to actually do something to drive prices down, or is it just another hopeless 'chain' campaign surfacing to coincide in tandem with the forthcoming General Election?
    Another hopeless chain. I honestly don't think (and I really, really hope I'm proved wrong on this) that anyone other than the extremist special interest groups have any energy for battles any more. The special interest groups themselves are just inneffective (I still chuckle over the ORG's failed protest - which genius came up with the idea of blank placards for a protest?).

Interested to learn what other 'geekers think of such campaigns and whether you would/will actually take an active part.
    I would love to take more part in effective protests and activism, but I simply don't have the time with work and other things. I have considered taking a stand for the council or similar, but again time, financial concerns, and the lack of a party I'd be willing to associate myself with to gain the required backing currently put these plans on hold.

I offer my full support to those who do such things though, particularly candidates who try to consider all of the issues rather than just standing on a single issue and having no idea about others (Pirate Party, I'm looking at you here).

Thank Post
    Like Gatt said, its the tax on petrol that furiates me more than anything!

They try to penalise people who need cars. I need my car to get to work. I cannot cycle as its too dangerous, I can't get a bus as it would take nearly two hours, and I can't car share as no-one lives near me. So what am I supposed to do? I have to pay whatever it costs.
    Last edited by sippo; 20th April 2010 at 08:48 AM.

12. Thanks to sippo from:

BatchFile (20th April 2010)

Thank Post
    My own feeling is the first thing people should do is lobby fuel companies to print a tax breakdown on all their receipts.

I suspect if they did this we'd see a return to the blockades within a few months.

But really most of the recent increases are down the value of the pound heading south.

14. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

BatchFile (20th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The policy has always been the same - get individual drivers off the roads, and in to trains.
    Not quite, the policy has been to encourage people to buy cars, but punish them from driving them

Also, in most rural areas of the UK, public transport is expensive & services are patchy or don't exist. Rural users are hit particularly hard by fuel costs, a significant proportion of which is duty payable to the Government.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Per litre of crude 8p
    Refining 2p
    Transport to uk 2p
    Transport to pumps 5p
    TAX!!! 80p - 90p
    approx.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Not quite, the policy has been to encourage people to buy cars, but punish them from driving them

Also, in most rural areas of the UK, public transport is expensive & services are patchy or don't exist. Rural users are hit particularly hard by fuel costs, a significant proportion of which is duty payable to the Government.
    I didn't say the policy was well implemented... The Labour government have done everything they can to mess up the rail network, and done nothing to improve the bus network since they've been in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast