Poll: iPhone 3GS or the HTC Desire, which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPhone 3GS vs. HTC Desire in General; Between the chavClone and HTC desire i'd go for the HTC. My ipod touch I have is almost useless without ...

Thank Post
    Between the chavClone and HTC desire i'd go for the HTC.

My ipod touch I have is almost useless without being rooted. Don't see the fuss.

BTW: I have a hero now. Awaiting android 2.1

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a VNC variant on my G1 called android-vnc-viewer which works okay & is free. The best RDP stuff is paid for, like RDP by Xtralogic Inc, although there are free ones available.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't used it but a friend has who reckons it works satisfactorily; Wooden SSH Downloader - it's free.

Thank Post
    I'm due an upgrade from my Iphone 3g about now, and frankly I find it hard to find one that matches it beats it.

It's horrible because it's made by apple; It's email client is buggy and doesn't work with NTL/Virgin, or Hotmail, It crashed every time i've ever run an update on it, the sync almost always crashes, taking 3-4 hours typically with all the reboots I have to do to get it work.
    Plus no flash support, no java support, no bluetooth that's actually useable, no file storage, bad battery life... I could go on a bit, but it'd come out like a random ranting.

The one thing I have to big up, is the app store.
    For Free, I have facebook, Calculators, unit conversions, game related apps (I play eve-online, so use one of their mini apps for ingame tracking), irc client, a vnc client, Mobile version of Photoshop, traffic advisory sponsored by the Highways authority, Skype, shazam.... Never paid for a single app.

It's got a lot of rubbish on there, most of which is related to age-restricted-to-death app-games, or pointless drivel that lasts about 9 minutes before your bored or frustrated with it. But those few priceless apps, I want to see and be sure they are all available for any other phone I buy.

I've been eying up the Blackberry storm 2 and the HTC's for a while, I just haven't seen that their app store has everything I want on it, yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @JoshJohnson: Obviously with Android having a close tie with Google, if you use Google stuff (this includes Maps), then it's all seamless. Google Maps does work great on Android phones, as long as you have a data connection.

Thank Post
    You can get useful apps on Android like Google Maps, Facebook etc I have to say compared to WinMo versions they are so much nicer. I ahve never used the iPhone versions though. I am glad to see someone porting SCUMMvm to Android using the native code SDK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ohhh, just got hatetweets on Twitter because I dared to say horrible things about the chavphone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Ohhh, just got hatetweets on Twitter because I dared to say horrible things about the chavphone.
    The truth hurts?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am sooooo tied to iTunes now it's unbelievable. I have approaching £900 worth of songs from the iTunes store and it'd cost me around £115 to convert the DRM tracks to DRM-Free tracks (around 520 DRM tracks). So, atleast for now, I'm stuck with Apple and the iPhone.

But to be honest I don't mind. The iPhone is the single best phone I've ever owned, I've not used any Palm Pre, Android or WinMo phones so I can't compare. My contracts up in July so I'll soon be looking for an upgrade. Unfortunately I doubt the iPhone 4G will be released in time so I'll be looking at a 32Gb iPhone 3GS as my next phone. Shame really as I need nearer 64Gb for all the songs, music videos and apps that I have.

I got the iPhone as a phone first, ipod seconf, e-mail client and basic web browser third and sat nav fourth. Everything else is just a bonus. I've never had any problems syncing on either Windows or Mac and the iPhone as never crashed on me.

Say what you will about Apple I still maintain they make the best OS's available even if some of their hardware is a bit shoody (MacBook Pro?).

Thank Post
    Their OS's are useable, and probably a little more userfriendly, but Horribly restrictive, and most of their products are, frankly, overpriced. Fix that, and remove the miscelaneous object that I believe they have stuck where the sun does not infact shine in regards to allowing access to pretty much anything, and I would struggle to beat apple in a lot of ways.

Until then, * > Apple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I am sooooo tied to iTunes now it's unbelievable. I have approaching £900 worth of songs from the iTunes store and it'd cost me around £115 to convert the DRM tracks to DRM-Free tracks (around 520 DRM tracks). So, atleast for now, I'm stuck with Apple and the iPhone.
    Ouch, Apple must love you. In Jobs's ecosystem your possessions own you. Its very direct interpretation of Buddhist viewpoints in a way. No surprises I voted for the HTC for the shear expandability and adaptability of it, the actual hardware of it blows the iPhone out of the water too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If there were ever a reason for not a) buying DRM media and b) buying into a vendor lock-in system; this is it. Ridiculous.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    OK, my mind is made up, and the clear winner in my view (and the vast majority of your views going by the poll) is the HTC Desire.

Can't wait to get hold of one now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    If there were ever a reason for not a) buying DRM media and b) buying into a vendor lock-in system; this is it. Ridiculous.
    100% agree - 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's actually stopping me from using a ubuntu desktop 24/7, crazy. I'm sure there are ways of converting the DRM tracks to non-DRM for free, I'm just worrid that doing so will wreck the associated metatag data

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I doubt the iPhone 4G will be released in time so I'll be looking at a 32Gb iPhone 3GS as my next phone
    Release date of new hardware is usually June/July so it's worth waiting. Remember just because your contract expires doesn't mean you have to upgrade instantly.

It remains to be seen if this leak This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo makes Apple delay the product. I wouldn't put it past Steve Jobs to act like a spoilt child.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast