Poll: iPhone 3GS or the HTC Desire, which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
General Chat Thread, iPhone 3GS vs. HTC Desire in General; i would have to say the desire in low light as it has a flash...
  1. #16
    gibbo_ap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Staffs, UK
    Posts
    937
    Thank Post
    233
    Thanked 81 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    i would have to say the desire in low light as it has a flash

  2. Thanks to gibbo_ap from:

    LosOjos (20th April 2010)

  3. #17

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,498
    Thank Post
    1,456
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Rep Power
    712
    How about video? I've seen iPhone's video and was very impressed, does the HTC live up? (this one's not so important, I rarely video things)

  4. #18
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,138
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 230 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    If it is any help, as a previous iPhone user I bought a HTC Hero thinking it would be a good change... and lasted about 2weeks before getting frustrated with the interface and keyboard and going back to an old iPhone 3G I had! (Also possibly worth mentioning I'm certainly not a die hard Apple fanboy either... just can't find anything as good as the iPhone!)

  5. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

    LosOjos (20th April 2010)

  6. #19

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    10,486
    Thank Post
    613
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    If it is any help, as a previous iPhone user I bought a HTC Hero thinking it would be a good change... and lasted about 2weeks before getting frustrated with the interface and keyboard and going back to an old iPhone 3G I had! (Also possibly worth mentioning I'm certainly not a die hard Apple fanboy either... just can't find anything as good as the iPhone!)
    The Hero had Android 1.5 (an upgrade to 2.x will be out later this year) and the Desire has 2.1. Their is a world of performance and feature differnce between them. After using my Nexus One since Mid Jan I have to say it is possibly the most versetile phone I've ever used, and performance wise knocks socks off the opposition. I'll just tootle off and do some multi-tasking whilst viewing some Flash and Java based web sites
    Oh, and it has REAL Bluetooth as well.

  7. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

    LosOjos (20th April 2010)

  8. #20

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,498
    Thank Post
    1,456
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Rep Power
    712
    So far I'm thinking the HTC is the techies choice, having never owned an iPhone (and one thing I really do not like is having about 6 menues to go through to make a phone call!) I'm getting more and more swayed toward the HTC myself...

  9. #21

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,136
    Thank Post
    1,913
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    I hate to say it, but the iPhone around here has been re-christened the chavPhone as so many have them! If you want to stand out from the crowd get an Android device.

  10. #22

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,600
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 769 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The Hero had Android 1.5 (an upgrade to 2.x will be out later this year) and the Desire has 2.1. Their is a world of performance and feature differnce between them. After using my Nexus One since Mid Jan I have to say it is possibly the most versetile phone I've ever used, and performance wise knocks socks off the opposition. I'll just tootle off and do some multi-tasking whilst viewing some Flash and Java based web sites
    Oh, and it has REAL Bluetooth as well.
    All that with decent battery life and the option of quickly swapping the battery if you so 'desire'

  11. #23
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I hate to say it, but the iPhone around here has been re-christened the chavPhone as so many have them! If you want to stand out from the crowd get an Android device.
    yeah when someone says to me "im getting an iPhone" i only let them off if they can give me an excuse other than its an iPhone. My brother was able to come up with a decent one "I carry an iPod and my phone, so all my music is already in iTunes, why not get a phone that can use the same library and replace the iPod", of course that does show apple domination there but i cant argue i use iTunes to manage my music and manually copy it to my n95

  12. #24

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,498
    Thank Post
    1,456
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Rep Power
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    yeah when someone says to me "im getting an iPhone" i only let them off if they can give me an excuse other than its an iPhone. My brother was able to come up with a decent one "I carry an iPod and my phone, so all my music is already in iTunes, why not get a phone that can use the same library and replace the iPod", of course that does show apple domination there but i cant argue i use iTunes to manage my music and manually copy it to my n95
    That's a pretty good reason for me to get an iPhone too actually, but with the battery life not being great as it is (not when compared to my current phone, 3 days of solid use on one charge!) I reckon I'll stick with the iPod for my music whichever phone I go for

  13. #25
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,354
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Desire all the way! The app store is expanding, with free dev tools (eclipse + SDK) you can't go wrong! Getting your own apps published on the store costs only $25 as opposed to 99 for the Crapple store.

    Plus you have more techie coolness as you have a Linux phone.
    Plus it has animated backgrounds
    It isn't made by apple
    Looks better
    AMOLED screen
    Higher res screen

  14. Thanks to Jamo from:

    tech_guy (20th April 2010)

  15. #26

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    10,486
    Thank Post
    613
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    That's a pretty good reason for me to get an iPhone too actually, but with the battery life not being great as it is (not when compared to my current phone, 3 days of solid use on one charge!) I reckon I'll stick with the iPod for my music whichever phone I go for
    But with iSyncr for Android, I can sync my iTunes palylists anyway, and I just dump my music on the SD card. Simples.

  16. #27

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,498
    Thank Post
    1,456
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Rep Power
    712
    My final question, the answer to which will ultimately decide which phone I go for: is the Android market anywhere near as good as iPhone?

  17. #28
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,354
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    By that do you mean, can you waste a lot of time looking for useless apps on both phones?

    Answer yes

    Last time I checked the Android market had 20000 apps avaiable and that was at the last part of last year so it may have gone up since. Crapple Store has 100,000 although I would expect that to slow as Apple have recently introduced some tough lines on how they want the app store to be. Android seems to be the Free-er choice imho.

  18. #29

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,498
    Thank Post
    1,456
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Rep Power
    712
    OK then let me re-phrase it:
    Between the Android and Apple markets, which has the most useful/usable apps freely available, or are they roughly on a par with each other? I'm not really interested in daftness like the Carling drinking game (clever advertising though) or the 'Spank the Monkey' app (where, of course, you repeatedly slap a monkey), although it never hurts to have a choice of a few games to play when on the train or something. What I'd really find useful I suppose would be:
    • Good mapping software that makes intuitive use of the GPS function (an offline version would be nice for when I go camping too)
    • Fairly basic photo editing utility for red eye removal, brightness, contrast, hue etc.
    • A selection of 'quick fix' games for the train
    • Any suggestions anybody has of anything they find incredibly useful, an app you couldn't live without now you have it


    Taking all that in to consideration, would I be better off with the iPhone or HTC for apps?

  19. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    157
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    I'm looking at getting the Desire as well, for anybody that has an Android phone, do you know if you can get a ssh application that will allow you to do port forwarding? And also an RDP application?

    Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 - Jailbroken!
    By Zoom7000 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 5th February 2010, 03:00 PM
  2. Exchange on iPhone 3gs
    By gibbo_ap in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th December 2009, 11:58 PM
  3. new iphone 3GS
    By Face-Man in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 18th June 2009, 02:40 PM
  4. Iphone 3G and 3Gs What the difference?
    By rad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th June 2009, 01:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •