+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, British Airways seeks compensation in General; British Airways seeks compensation - well it had to happen - first the banks, now going to be the Airlines. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

British Airways seeks compensation

British Airways seeks compensation - well it had to happen - first the banks, now going to be the Airlines.

BBC News - British Airways seeks compensation for ash chaos

I wonder if British Ice Cream Sellers can claim compensation from the government if we get a carp summer ?
    Last edited by mattx; 19th April 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I don't think there's a snowball's chance in a volcano they'll get it from UK funds (see what I did there?). Any party that doesn't knock the idea on the head can kiss their election hopes goodbye.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,696 Posts
    Willie Walsh need to get real methinks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What makes me laugh is that they should have learnt from the St Helena volcano! The ash then stopped flights, and instead of thinking of a filtration system for the engines, they just carried on like normal. Idiots!
    Last edited by witch; 19th April 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    British Airways seeks compensation - well it had to happen - first the banks, now going to be the Airlines.

I wonder if British Ice Cream Sellers can claim compensation from the government if we get a bad summer ?
    I am looking carefully at what we did after September 11. We can use similar instruments. We are indeed facing exceptional circumstances,"
    wonder if that provides scope for airlines to get some form of financial assitance.

come on brown, your the one who supposedly saved the economy, why not provide support to our important national carriers ? first the bank bailouts, then support for the car industry, heck the euro countries are going to be bailing out entire countries!!!....why not the airlines for an unprecedented event beyond their control ?

what willie walsh is asking for seems entirely reasonable given the context.
    Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 19th April 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: language in quoted post

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post

I wonder if British Ice Cream Sellers can claim compensation from the government if we get a bad summer ?
    Grrrrr! Small businesses PLAN for the bad times as well as the good! There'll be times when business is slow, and times when business is good. These MASSIVE companies making MASSIVE amounts of money need to plan for eventualities such as this, I believe it's called saving for a rainy day? If the rainy day doesn't happen, you clean up. If it does, you have enough to tick over.

I'm going to claim compensation for the water and shampoo I used to wash the car the other day, now it's all covered in grit. And then I'm going to place the entire blame for this situation on Iceland. Their volcano, their fault. Or God. One or the other.

Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 19th April 2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: language in quoted post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Grrrrr! Small businesses PLAN for the bad times as well as the good! There'll be times when business is slow, and times when business is good. These MASSIVE companies making MASSIVE amounts of money need to plan for eventualities such as this, I believe it's called saving for a rainy day? If the rainy day doesn't happen, you clean up. If it does, you have enough to tick over.

I'm going to claim compensation for the water and shampoo I used to wash the car the other day, now it's all covered in grit. And then I'm going to place the entire blame for this situation on Iceland. Their volcano, their fault. Or God. One or the other.

and how exactly do they plan for this type of stuff......my understanding is they can't get insurance for such
    events. And as said, the decision to ground flights is taken out of their control. If a major airline is losing millions
    of pounds a day, and the situation carries on for days possibly weeks, then they'd surely want the situation resolved.

I suppose the car industry should have factored in a consumer balance sheet recession, before it was felt
    necessary for the govt. to spend hundreds of millions in supporting that particular industry. Maybe they wouldn't
    have needed financial assistance if they'd adjusted their business models to cope with consumer not accessing as much credit.

but then again, may be you lot have twigged on to the issue of moral hazard. Moral hazard didn't seem to
    matter last year though, and for select parts of the economy....did it ?

Now all of a sudden everyone is incredulous at the airlines. double standards maybe ?
    Last edited by torledo; 19th April 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    and how exactly do they plan for this type of stuff......
    One of the key things I was taught about economics and business, even at AS level, is that maintaining a healthy working capital supply is important. This means having reserves that can maintain you for a reasonably long period of time, just in case.

If your business has been operating for the length of time BA has, and you don't have that figured out, then you're in for real trouble!

Thank Post
    Why is it that everyone expects the Govt to provide a safety net for every eventuality? Where do you draw the line?

I am in favour of providing humanitarian aid for people in real need but don't see why the state should bail out private companies at the expense of it's own workers.

You can imagine the situation; the Govt pays out £m to the airline industry and then has to cut even more public sector jobs to balance the books.... where is the justice in that?

Successive Governments have allowed manufacturing industry to go to the wall for decades so why prop up BA?

Oh, of course I forgot...... business needs BA to carry them off on their trips abroad..... I wonder how many 'ordinary' people 'Fly BA' ? BA is only an important national carrier to the business community......
    Last edited by broc; 20th April 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    wonder if that provides scope for airlines to get some form of financial assitance.

come on brown, your the one who supposedly saved the economy, why not provide support to our important national carriers ? first the bank bailouts, then support for the car industry, heck the euro countries are going to be bailing out entire countries!!!....why not the airlines for an unprecedented event beyond their control ?

what willie walsh is asking for seems entirely reasonable given the context.
    The country is already bankrupt. By all means feel free to send a cheque to BA, but I don't see why my taxes should fund it.

Oh, we aren't a Euro country, yet we're still having to fund part of this bail out of Greece. I'll give it a couple of years and Germany will have pulled out of the Euro, which in turn, will destroy the currency and member states will end up using their own currencies again.

Thank Post
    I thought BA had been trumpeting how they had 4bn in reserve due to some shrewd guff they had done not so long ago. Have they burned through that all ready?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I thought BA had been trumpeting how they had 4bn in reserve due to some shrewd guff they had done not so long ago. Have they burned through that all ready?
    according to the bbc article, they do have substantial cash reserves and credit lines to get through such situations, i think it might be the case that they are seeking compensation because of this decision which was taken out of their hands. Not because they desperately need compensation to continue operating.

broc brings up an interesting question about where do you draw the line on the general point about govt. spending, and what kind of assistance should be provided to private sector companies. And under what circumstances. I suppose when there is a risk of job losses because of a persistent threat of downturn any kind of govt. financial support is acceptable ?

Thank Post
    Sue Iceland!

Thank Post
    What about everyone who has had to find their way home? Do they get compo; travel expenses, hotels, food, lose of earnings....? What about my mum who child minds for people who are stuck abroad, does she get compo? Kenyan flower producers? Brazilian fruit...

As far as im concerned, if an "act of god" isnt a good enough reason for insurance to pay out then it isnt a good enough reason to compansate greedy businesses.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 20th April 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    As far as im concerned, if an "act of god" isnt a good enough reason for insurance to pay out then it isnt a good enough reason to compansate greedy businesses.
    Someone is suing British Airways as they are not refunding his ticket due to this "act of god" - he ended up arranged for alternative transport and informed them and they said that he couldn't get a refund as he hadn't tried to get home via British Airways (despite ringing every day to try to get a different flight to a country nearer!! He ended up telling them "Prove there is a god and I will accept it is an act of god and you don't have to refund me" which had me in stitches!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast