+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
General Chat Thread, Windows 7 Upgrade in General; Hi All, I didn't want to post this in the Windows 7 group because this post exists (in part at ...
  1. #1
    Tyiell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Like everyone in IT - I'm omnipresent...
    Posts
    373
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Windows 7 Upgrade

    Hi All,

    I didn't want to post this in the Windows 7 group because this post exists (in part at least) because I can't be bothered to do any proper research - I just want opinions from those who have the time and inclination to give them

    Basically our network manager has decided to roll out a mass upgrade of the servers to Server 2008 and the clients to Windows 7. I fully approve of the server 2008 part, and and the roll out is scheduled for the summer so no criticsm that we are rushing into it is implied here, but I am interested to know what real advantages there are for going to Win 7. Many of the staff laptops and some of our desktops are not going to handle it (many only have 512 MB RAM, some even have 256...) causing more expense than the already considerable cost of the licenses.

    In the face of these disadvantages, the overall cost, and the inevitable outcry of "it looks different I can't cope!!" from staff and students, I haven't seen much to really justify doing the upgrade as a priority - I understand MS will supply security updates for XP until 2014. I am curious to know what the advantages are of upgrading so soon...

    Oh and I don't count "it looks nice" as an advantage - I get that enough from the media department when they want to buy Apple Macs

  2. #2
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    The costs for upgrading the desktops is pretty large. I know just last week we were testing Win7 and looking at how it runs with our current programs etc, and we have found that we will need at least a gig to run win 7 smoothly as it uses about 512 just for the OS, so the cost for us to bring desktops up from 512 to 1gig will be about 1700 and that is to do about 50 machines.

    As for testing of software we have found that our version of photoshop which is version2 will not run on win 7 and the version of premiere (v3) wil not run either. It seems to me this is a good time for software makers to start rubbing their hands.

    The plan that i have taken is to upgrade to win 2008 over the summer then once everything is ok on this side roll out win 7 room by room. Obivously there will be a mixed bag of OS but is it better to roll out bit by bit and deal with problems as they occur or to deal with a mass roll out and a mass of problems.

  3. Thanks to timbo343 from:

    Tyiell (21st April 2010)

  4. #3
    Tyiell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Like everyone in IT - I'm omnipresent...
    Posts
    373
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Worrying that some Adobe products aren't compatible - we have the CS3 Master Collection - is that the same version as your premier I wonder? Media will kick up a hell of a fuss if that doesn't work and I can't blame them!!!

    Thanks for your input!

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    CS3 suite works fine for us on 7

  6. Thanks to sidewinder from:

    Tyiell (21st April 2010)

  7. #5

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,590
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 762 Times in 593 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    If you have a Schools Agreement or another form of Software Assurance, the actual licensing costs are moot since you've paid for the upgrade already. Windows 7 has a number of advantages (compared to XP):
    * Better DPA compliance through the use of Bitlocker (a driving factor for my migration)
    * IMHO Windows 7 has much improved memory management and Windows 7 on a 512MB machine is no worse than XP on the same machine - it will consume more RAM if it is available but that is just common sense
    * Ease of deployment has been improved - gone are the days of tens of different images for each different machine build
    * The new interface definitely improves productivity - I hate to think how I managed with XP when I think of how many apps I have open at once!
    * Kids like new stuff... they see you running XP still when they are running an OS that is two generations newer at home and they will get frustrated and take it out on your kit!

  8. Thanks to Ric_ from:

    Tyiell (21st April 2010)

  9. #6
    PeteM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    123
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    * Kids like new stuff... they see you running XP still when they are running an OS that is two generations newer at home and they will get frustrated and take it out on your kit!
    Our kids get more frustrated when things don't work. Thats when we get the vandalism issues. (Mainly laptop damage)

  10. #7
    Tyiell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Like everyone in IT - I'm omnipresent...
    Posts
    373
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    If you have a Schools Agreement or another form of Software Assurance, the actual licensing costs are moot since you've paid for the upgrade already. Windows 7 has a number of advantages (compared to XP):
    * Better DPA compliance through the use of Bitlocker (a driving factor for my migration)
    * IMHO Windows 7 has much improved memory management and Windows 7 on a 512MB machine is no worse than XP on the same machine - it will consume more RAM if it is available but that is just common sense
    * Ease of deployment has been improved - gone are the days of tens of different images for each different machine build
    * The new interface definitely improves productivity - I hate to think how I managed with XP when I think of how many apps I have open at once!
    * Kids like new stuff... they see you running XP still when they are running an OS that is two generations newer at home and they will get frustrated and take it out on your kit!
    Good to hear some positive points - I had no doubt there were some, but they seemed a little thin on the ground!!! So the new deployment system - does one image work for all machines then? This is the first I have heard of this - sounds like a massive benefit...

    We don't have a schools agreement - we have bought XP individually with each machine. This means we either have to begin an agreement, or buy individual win 7 licenses. I'm not convined the Schools agreement is worth it from what I have seen. The annual payment is about 1/3 of the price of buying them outright, which means it is only cost effective if you upgrade to Windows 8 (or whatever) within 3 years. Otherwise it evens out on the 3rd year, and you start paying over the odds for each year from then. Given XP lasted easily 9 years - thats triple the price of buying them outright!!

  11. #8
    mbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    High Wycombe
    Posts
    190
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    The agreement we have has office bundled into it - which makes Software Assurance seem so much nicer

  12. #9
    Tyiell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Like everyone in IT - I'm omnipresent...
    Posts
    373
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    True, I suppose office gets upgraded more often than Windoze. Even so, I reckon it would work out more expensive - Office 2003 lasted us 5 years, and we got office 07 pro plus licences for 30 a go...

  13. #10
    mbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    High Wycombe
    Posts
    190
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    I will have a look at exactly what we get, i know we get Win 7 Pro (Ultimate without the games) and Office 10, exchange 10....
    ...but we have the servers on the agreement too.

    Also, we get a flashy download site from Microsoft. Definitely the best bit

  14. #11
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 268 Times in 192 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    In our agreement we get:
    Servers &CALS,
    Office &CALS,
    ISA (forefront)
    SQL

    But will be adding the OS to the agreement for win 7.

    As for tyour question about CS3, i think they are very different products. I know that premiere elements is on version 8 and we are on version 3. Version 3 of Premiere just hangs and wont let you do anything, apparently this is a common thing as a lot of people are having the same problem. To be fair, i was supprised at how much a copy was, it only worked out at about 50 a copy. As for Photoshop, we would have to upgrade to version 8 too as we are running version 2 and this too was about the same price.

  15. #12
    mbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    High Wycombe
    Posts
    190
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Bear in mind that XP mode has recently been enabled for NON virtualised CPU's on win 7. Not sure how it works with networks, but it has enabled me to run some legacy programmes just using an XP window.

  16. Thanks to mbird from:

    Tyiell (21st April 2010)

  17. #13
    Cmd.exe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    61
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    We don't have a schools agreement - we have bought XP individually with each machine. This means we either have to begin an agreement, or buy individual win 7 licenses. I'm not convined the Schools agreement is worth it from what I have seen. The annual payment is about 1/3 of the price of buying them outright, which means it is only cost effective if you upgrade to Windows 8 (or whatever) within 3 years. Otherwise it evens out on the 3rd year, and you start paying over the odds for each year from then. Given XP lasted easily 9 years - thats triple the price of buying them outright!!
    We're at the same point here too... buy outright again or sign up to SA.
    Problem is, the decision has to made at some point, now, next year, whatever. We're going to upgrade this summer.
    We want the the new features in 2008, 7 and new office. We also aim to use 'industry standard' software that also means using uptodate stuff.
    I also agree with the respect/vandalism comment - Kids DO respect newer computers and software.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade to 2008 (or R2?) for Windows 7 control
    By TheFopp in forum Windows Server 2008
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd November 2009, 09:35 AM
  2. Uni students to get Windows 7 upgrade for just 30
    By AngryTechnician in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th September 2009, 03:49 PM
  3. upgrade to windows 2003 server
    By ptrainor1 in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th March 2007, 06:43 AM
  4. Windows XP Pro Upgrade from DOS??
    By CM786 in forum Windows
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th November 2006, 12:23 AM
  5. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
    By Dos_Box in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th July 2006, 03:01 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •