+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Alternatives to Virgin Media Broadband in General; ...

Thank Post

Alternatives to Virgin Media Broadband

I have been with them under whatever name they went by for maybe 10 years now and the service has been great but alas I have had it with the throttling, itís just plain unfair!
    I am a downloader, but not one that I would consider extreme and having not used my internet for over a week I downloaded a couple of missed TV episodes (yes I know, naughty me) and bam hit the cap. 5 Hours later I tune in to watch the footy (actually legal so ner) on my sky player and bam hit the cap again.

So I can pay for the 20Mb service and have a bigger download allowance but get pretty much the same speed (about 12mb on both 10 and 20 Mb service - strange huh) or look to go elsewhere.

O2 bang on to me weekly that I am entitled to free broadband but as Iím with virgin I canít do the checker as I have no BT line and I donít know anyone in my road who is on BT! So they estimate about 2Mb - Iím in Birmingham for god sake - 2Mb????

How do I use my internet at any time without a stupid cap, 2Mb is too low but I would take 5 - 8Mb unlimited any day. If anyone can get round the "you donít have a BT line" carp and check my supposed speed please PM me.

Taa
    Last edited by CHR1S; 15th April 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 50Mb Virgin package doesn't have a cap AFAIK - You will obviously pay for the privilege though.

Thank Post
    Yeh I forgot to say, dont want to spend more, especially if O2 are offering free!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Virgin tbh is for mugs. www.samknows.com should be able to tell you where your nearest exchange is firstly. Then you could try to guess the distance and estimate from there.

5. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

CHR1S (15th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Zero, im guessing it looks between 1.5/2 miles via road and 1.2 miles as the crow flies. This is my exchange SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Kings Norton (CMKING) Exchange

Edit -

ADSL2+ available at ~4Mbps
    Be Unlimited
    O2 broadband
    UK Online (incl 20M packages)
    Sky Max (LLU) (16M for £10pcm)
    It says these are avaliable to my house, what sort of speed is it saying I will get (~4Mbps means nothing to me)
    Last edited by CHR1S; 15th April 2010 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other x factor in your deal is you WILL have to get a BT line @ £12 approx per month
    I think it means around 4mb but its always a pure estimate until adsl is activated really.
    The other thing to remember is if your area get fibre to cabinet you could get 40mb and thats being enabled in a lot of places this year.

Thank Post
    Virgin LR is £11 so no difference really! Thats stupid, they can only guess how fast it will be until you change all your services and take up a 12 month contract? Good way not to get my ££

Thank Post
    What you really need is a way to stop yourself going over the limits, either cap your speed during monitored hours, or, cleverer, monitor for, say, 75% of limit, then cap at an even lower rate. would need a router that does snmp and rate limiting of course

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BT line rental for me is £9.95 a month with unlimited broadband at £24.95 a month. So I pay £35 a month, get capped at around 500GB per month for reasonable usage downloads. I have no issues with BT as I use iplayer, 4 on demand, sky player and I play my online games religiously every night. Haven't yet hit the cap!

The service is good, they don't disrupt my uptime as the majority of the work is carried out at 3am-7am if any is needed. Can't complain, also I am less than 200 yards from my exchange so I KNOW I am getting my 20Mb :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Virgin tbh is for mugs. www.samknows.com should be able to tell you where your nearest exchange is firstly. Then you could try to guess the distance and estimate from there.
    Except for those of us who can and do get 50mbit from them whilst nobody has LLU'd the local exchange.

EDIT: Also, you should find that the 20mbit rate limiting cap is 5mbit from my experience whereas the 10mbit one is 2mbit as you've seen might be worth a complaint in their direction to get that sorted.

I'd never go back to ADSL, it's just too temperamental in my experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Except for those of us who can and do get 50mbit from them whilst nobody has LLU'd the local exchange.

EDIT: Also, you should find that the 20mbit rate limiting cap is 5mbit from my experience whereas the 10mbit one is 2mbit as you've seen might be worth a complaint in their direction to get that sorted.

I'd never go back to ADSL, it's just too temperamental in my experience.
    Ive had modems swapped lines tested and configs fiddled and VM just said take it or leave it.... Also when they cap you at whatever speed the connection is pretty useless as you see massive packet loss!

Thank Post
    We swtiched from virgin to SKy and never looke dback, sure im not getting 10mb like i was befor ebut im pretty happy with the 6 that i am, i also dont miss the restting of my modem every 10mins because the connection had flaked out, in the time ive been with sky which is almost a year now ive restarted my modem twice, once of these was just to move some cabling around.

I actually pay £10 for the 20mb package knowing im not going to get that speed but it is completely unlimited unfilterd and no fair usage crap

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've only hit a cap twice so far, and both times VM apologised and reset it with no issues. Not had a problem since on the 10meg service and I am a fairly heavy downloader on iPlayer and via iTunes (*lots* of subscribed podcasts / vodcasts!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    We switched from BT to Sky. Sky took over the phone line as well, so we have no BT landline now. Sky at present is a million times better than BT. I wish we'd had the option to switch sooner.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    We switched from BT to Sky. Sky took over the phone line as well, so we have no BT landline now. Sky at present is a million times better than BT. I wish we'd had the option to switch sooner.
    Same here, excellent service with no throttling from SKY. And £15 a month less than I was paying BT.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast