+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, CV - Rip apart? Help would be great in General; With redundancies coming at work I am starting to apply for jobs!!! below is my current Cv and was wondering ...
    Thank Post

Question CV - Rip apart? Help would be great

With redundancies coming at work I am starting to apply for jobs!!! below is my current Cv and was wondering if it could be improved and if so how would you do it? please feel free to rip apart any grammer or anything that needs to be added, removed all opions would be great.

any ----------------- are where ive blanked out personal info or company names

Richard Boynton
    ----------------------
    Headingley, Leeds
    ------------------
    E-mail – Mr.R.Boynton@gmail.com

Contact numbers – (Personal) 077020------ – (Work) 07777--------------

I am a dynamic and motivated individual, with a passion to succeed. I enjoy working in diverse and stimulating atmospheres. I enjoy taking on new challenges, and excel under pressure and am used to working to strict deadlines. I work well in teams and have successfully led groups of people and managed I.T projects. My time at university and in the IT industry has given me confidence to work independently and use my own initiative to solve problems.

Computing skills

My extensive computer knowledge includes:

Professional knowledge of server 2003/2008. Active directory maintenance, DCHP, DNS and IP addressing. Installing, configuring and troubleshooting of IT hardware and software. Installing and maintaining network Printers. Professional knowledge of Microsoft office applications (2003, 2007). Setting up of wireless networks including the configuration of wireless routers and mobile devices (blackberry’s, Iphone’s, Windows mobile). Further to this I have worked professionally with windows 2000, XP, vista and windows 7 all at enterprise level. All of the above actions have also been carried out under an ITIL framework.

(For more detailed explanation of IT skills please see covering letter).

Education / Training

Currently studying Microsoft windows 7 configuring exam

ITIL v3 foundation course in service management – April 2010

Microsoft training course implementing and maintaining active directory in server 2003 environment – June 2009

Microsoft office 2007 professional training – December 2008

In house training, -------------- – October 2008 till present – Manual handling, health and safety, disability discrimination act training, managing your team, motivating staff, safeguarding young children and adults, equality and diversity,

PCounter administrator training course (printer management software) – August 2008

Leeds Metropolitan University - Business Information Technology - September 2004 – June 2008

Bridlington Sports College - 1996-2003 - A-levels – I.C.T, Product design, General studies

GCSE’s – Maths, English, Science, I.C.T, Geography, Motor Vehicle Studies, French, Re and Graphics.

Employment History

------------------------- - I.T Services Team member
    October 2008 - Till present

Duties Include:

• Completing jobs in accordance with the SLA’s in the colleges ITIL policy
    • Completing all software and hardware issues across 28 sites of the college
    • Support of the VOIP network
    • User support for 10,000+ users (over 5000 pc’s and 1000 laptops, 28 sites)
    • Server maintenance of all 20+ servers, virtual servers and terminal servers

---------------------- – Relief Network manager/Senior Technician (contracted) July 2008 – October 2008

Duties include:

• Installation of computers and hardware into a number of classrooms
    • Patching and testing the network
    • User support for around 1000 users from novice to professional users
    • Managing the help desk system
    • Managing the IT team on projects and attending meetings on the progress of the schools IT systems
    • Maintaining the schools network (300 Pc’s – 200 laptops – 3 servers running server 2003)
    • Specification and procurement of new equipment for the school
    • Setting up of a wireless network

(Years gap in employment due to returning back to university after placement year)

----------------------- – ICT Support Technician and Network Administrator - August 2006 –Sept 2007

Duties included:

• User support for 2000 users from novice to professional users
    • Business case for implementing Vista into the school
    • Answering helpdesk phones calls from staff, students and suppliers then recording these incidents on a helpdesk management system
    • Repairing and maintaining the schools network, computers and devices
    • Reporting on the schools network to system managers and staff
    • Training staff and students on all aspects of new software/hardware on the network

------------------------- - Pool/ Beach Lifeguard – 2001 - 2006

Duties included:

• Training on a weekly basis, to be fit and able to work
    • Health and safety of customers
    • General awareness of non/weak swimmers

Addition information

• Full clean British driving license
    • Trained in First Aid (First aid at work)
    • Manual handling trained

References

ON REQUEST
    Last edited by RichB; 14th April 2010 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    its copied a little different i.e in structure spacing ect and not used bold, italics, but the main part is the info inside it!

Thank Post
    A few things I notice immediately....
    • Your "Personal Statement" section trips my personal "buzzword bingo" filter.
    • Stating you have professional knowledge of DHCP and then misspelling the acronym trips my "he's making it up/back bedroom network only" filter.
    • The formatting of your "computing skills" section is full of sentence fragments. Try bulleting or something. Remember the HR/slavetrader will be doing the first reading through to filter out irrelevant cvs before the hiring manager sees them.
    • Assume your CV and covering letter will get separated as they travel through the slavetraders / company HR dept. Get the technical detail (sufficient to entice interviews) on your CV.
    • I'd stick experience before education / training.
    • The lifeguard entry kinda jars - lose it?
    • Maybe it's the formatting, but I can't see what qualification this line "Leeds Metropolitan University - Business Information Technology - September 2004 – June 2008" denotes? I can see what it's in, but not the level/qualification.
    • You're 7 years out of school, your GCSEs (and probably your A-Levels) aren't really relevant, especially if they're competing for space with more IT-centric info.
    • More info on interesting/successful IT projects? The last job states "not a lot of detail and basic grunt work" to me whereas the Jul-Oct 08 job sounds more interesting (though you also don't mention projects you did.)

You could also try sticking it in the Boardroom (lose the email address), but be prepared for a lot of constructive criticism.
    Last edited by pete; 14th April 2010 at 02:37 PM.

4. Thanks to pete from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    If it helps when I went for an interview the recruitement bloke said you should specificially name what you have used in your job i.e.
    • Support the two Domain control Servers running Windows Server 2008, formerly two servers running Windows Server 2003 R2.
    • Support the Print Control Server running Windows Server 2003 R2, with Pcounter.
    • Use, install, maintain and support Desktops and laptops with Windows 7, Vista and XP
    • Install, maintain and support Microsoft Office 2003, and Office 2007.

And then the more specific ones which apply to you.

Also put it any specific projects you've done, like bring in new servers, or added something extra?

6. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    [*] You're 7 years out of school, your GCSEs (and probably your A-Levels) aren't really relevant, especially if they're competing for space with more IT-centric info.
    I agree with most of that, but not this point. You should ensure that you have evidence of maths/english qualifications on your CV. I have it written as a single line like '11 GCSES, including Maths (A) and English (B)' or the like. I know many employers look for this.

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I agree with most of that, but not this point. You should ensure that you have evidence of maths/english qualifications on your CV. I have it written as a single line like '11 GCSES, including Maths (A) and English (B)' or the like. I know many employers look for this.
    Fair enough - I just assume anyone without those basic quals would have obvious other cv flaws that'd self-select themselves out of any IT gig worth applying for.

10. Thanks to pete from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The lifeguard entry kinda jars - lose it?
    Although if you're applying to a school that runs swimming lessons it might come in handy, makes you look like a two-for-the-price-of-one sort of deal.

--
    David Hicks

12. Thanks to dhicks from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd be inclined to use a "real" phone number rather than the 07* ones - some companies' switchboards will disallow calls to such numbers. You don't want to make them run around to get hold of you!

14. Thanks to SteveBentley from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was going to say don't lose the lifeguard stuff - you'll then have a gap in your CV which always looks suspicious (was he in jail etc??) - but then I realised that it overlaps with college/uni so it's probably not needed (but I don't think it does any harm. If you were 20 years into your career then it's not relevant; a few years in I think it shows you didn't just sit on your backside while you were a student but got a real job as well)

As others have said, get some detail in there - how many machines, network switches, servers? What kind? What sort of things have you done?

You also need to tailor that to any particular job - if I'm recruiting I'm going to have a tick list so your CV needs to match that (but it needs to be more than "requirement for knowledge of 2008 Server" followed by "I know 2008 Server" - you have to give examples of what/how you know it)

I can't imagine any recruiter who wouldn't be able to call a mobile number so I don't think not having a land line should be a problem (would you want to work somewhere where people who might need to call mobiles are not allowed to do so??)

16. Thanks to srochford from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Jsut a minor point - but I get CV's all the time too, and one of the first things to hit me are examples of bad grammar and style. Your second and third sentences both begin with "i enjoy.." and your second sentence also has a comma followed by "and".

It may pass the HR person - but they might be as pedantic as me! If they are - your CV will go to the bottom of the pile. There is a lot very good advice in the posts above.

Good luck.

18. Thanks to SiliconAlley from:

RichB (14th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Don't know if you know, but I was a computer/electronics headhunter in a former life so you are welcome to pm me your CV and I will have a look at it ?

20. Thanks to witch from:

RichB (16th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley View Post
    your second sentence also has a comma followed by "and".
    Just to point out that this is perfectly acceptable. It is commonly referred to as 'The Oxford Comma' - AskOxford: What is the 'Oxford comma'?

22. Thanks to localzuk from:

RichB (16th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I customise my CV a little if it's applying for a specific job, making sure I reference any experience/skills that are particularly applicable to the job I'm applying for - I don't really have one generic one.

As an observation I would leave out the 'in house training' bit from your education/training section, only recognised qualifications or training courses are really relevant here in my opinion.

Mike

24. Thanks to maniac from:

RichB (16th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm no expert, but the only thing I have to add to the points above is the possibility of splitting up Education and Professional Training? Only because that way you can highlight the degree in your academic acheivemnets (I assume thats what you got at Leeds Uni) by getting it right at the top of the list. Degrees are valued (arguably above their worth) in all sectors - but particularly education. Don't let them miss it!!

26. Thanks to Tyiell from:

RichB (16th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice have had a bit a mess around with it this week before i'll get it finished at the weekend current one is now below:

Richard Boynton
    ----------------------
    Headingley, Leeds
    LS6 4DJ

E-mail – Mr.R.Boynton@gmail.com

Contact numbers – (Personal) 077020----– (Work) 07---------------9
    I am a dynamic and motivated individual, with a passion to succeed. I enjoy working in diverse and stimulating environments and taking on new challenges. I excel under pressure and am used to working to strict deadlines. I am a committed team player and have successfully led groups of people and managed I.T projects. My time at university and in the IT industry has given me confidence to work independently and use my own initiative to solve a range of diverse problems.

Computing skills

Desktop Operating systems - Windows 7, Vista, XP pro, ME, 2000, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard (all at enterprise level)

Networking - Server 2003 R2/2008, Exchange server, Terminal Services, wireless routers, Smoothwall firewall, VMware EXS server, Vertias Back up

Software -
    Remote tools – Desktop authority and VNC, office 2003, 2007, Project, Visio, Sage, Pcounter, MacAfee Antivirus, Sophos Antivirus enterprise, Sims, Moodle, Norton Ghost, footprints (service desk management solution ITIL compliant)

Hardware - HP ProLiant server range , HP desktops (dc5800, 7700, 7900) Dell Desktops (280,620,520), Hp Laptops (6715, 6725 4310s Pro), HP Thin clients, Apple Macs, smart boards, Blackberry mobiles, Iphone, PDAs, Hp Printer range, Epson scanners

Professional knowledge of server 2003/2008. Active directory maintenance. DHCP, DNS and IP addressing. Installing, configuring and troubleshooting of IT hardware and software. Installing and maintaining network Printers. Professional knowledge of Microsoft Office suites (2003/2007). Setting up of wireless networks including the configuration of wireless routers and mobile devices (blackberry’s, Iphone’s, Windows mobile). Further to this I have worked professionally with windows 2000, XP, vista and windows 7 all at enterprise level. All of the above actions have been carried out within the ITIL framework of best practice.

Training

 Currently studying towards Microsoft windows 7 configuring exam

 ITIL v3 foundation course in service management – March 2010

 Microsoft training course implementing and maintaining active directory in server 2003 environment – June 2009

 Microsoft office 2007 professional training – December 2008

 Leeds City College (in house training)– Manual handling, health and safety, disability discrimination act training, managing your team, motivating staff, safeguarding young children and adults, equality and diversity - October 2008 till present

 PCounter administrator training course (printer management software) – August 2008

Education

Leeds Metropolitan University - Business Information Technology - September 2004 – June 2008

Bridlington Sports College – 2 A-levels - 11 GCSE’s including maths, English and science– Sept 1996 – July 2003

Employment History

Leeds City College - I.T Services Team Member
    October 2008 - Present

Duties Include:

• User support 1st/2nd/3rd line support for 10,000+ users, 5000+ pc’s (HP, Dell, RM, Stone) and 1000+ laptops (HP, Dell, Acer) across 28 sites
    • Support of the Domain control Servers running Windows Server 2008, formerly running Windows Server 2003 R2, also a number of virtual servers running VMware ESX
    • Support of the Terminal services server and terminal thin clients
    • Support the Print Control Server running Windows Server 2003 R2, with Pcounter
    • Maintain and support desktops and laptops with Windows 7, Vista and XP
    • Installation, maintenance and support Microsoft Office 2003, and Office 2007.
    • Completing jobs in accordance with the SLA’s in the colleges ITIL policy
    • Troubleshooting of all software and hardware issues in the college
    • Support of the VOIP network

Project work – Currently in phase 1 of testing to migrate from XP to Windows 7, exploring any issues with software, hardware, network resources that may effect the migration. Past project work has including site roll outs of more than 300 HP PCs from procurement of equipment and testing to the actual replacement of machines. Migration of Active Directory users from server 2003 R2 to server 2008.

Handsworth Grange School – Contracted Relief Network Manager/Senior Technician
    July 2008 – October 2008

Duties include:

• Installation of computers and hardware across the full site ( Dell, RM)
    • Patching and testing the network
    • User support 1st/2nd/3rd line support for around 2000 users from novice to professional users
    • Managing the help desk system
    • Managing the IT team on projects and attending meetings on the progress of the schools IT systems
    • Maintaining the schools network (300 Pc’s – 200 laptops – 3 servers running server 2003)
    • Specification and procurement of new equipment for the school
    • Setting up of a wireless network

Project work – Set up of a full wireless network, site wide for internet and electronic registry of pupils.

(Years gap in employment due to returning back to university after placement year)

Allerton Grange School – ICT Support Technician/Network Administrator
    August 2006 –September 2007

Duties included:

• User support 1st/2nd/3rd line support for 2000 users from novice to professional users
    • Answering helpdesk phones calls from staff, students and suppliers then recording these incidents on a helpdesk management system
    • Repairing and maintaining the schools network, computers and devices
    • Reporting on the schools network to system managers and staff
    • Training staff and students on all aspects of new software/hardware on the network

Project work – Migration from XP Professional to Vista Business. Full testing of new system took place in two phases, firstly testing new OS on selected members of staff machines, before a full roll was implemented. Cost analysis of the new OS was carried out and fault finding of any hardware/current software issues.

Bridlington Leisure World - Pool/ Beach Lifeguard
    January 2001 – August 2006

Duties included:

• Training on a weekly basis, to be fit and able to work
    • Health and safety of customers
    • General awareness of non/weak swimmers

Addition information

• Full clean British driving license
    • I hold a current clean enhanced CRB certificate
    • Qualified in First Aid (First aid at work)

References - ON REQUEST

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast