+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Holidays in the lake district? in General; Keswick is always a good base. There are a few good campsites and some brilliant B&Bs, also the Youth Hostels ...
    Thank Post
    Keswick is always a good base. There are a few good campsites and some brilliant B&Bs, also the Youth Hostels in the area are good, with private room bookings available. If you don't want to camp Lakeland Camping Barns: Budget Youth Hostel Accommodation for Groups in Cumbria, UK | Home provide good accommodation around the area.

Is this where I make everyone jealous and point out I live in Cumbria.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Can I do an embarrassed shameless plug for my mums self catering holiday cottage

1 Bed Room Holiday Cottage for rent on the edge of The Yorkshire Dales National Park is the cottage, fine not quite in the lake district but we are about 35 minutes from it so if the lakes are a bit too pricey / busy, its a nice quick drive down the A65 to get to them. We are in the middle of the 3 peaks if your a walking fan, have a nice country pub 1 miles away (easily walkable) and right on a railway line so you can get from the East or West coast line with ease.

(apologies for the naff website, like many of us our own stuff seems to get neglected, but a new Joomla site will come along with more details in the near future!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    I go to Keswick every year for a week, and stay on this site Castlerigg Farm Campsite - Keswick, The Lake District Camping and Caravans and also has a B and B next door. its a lovely view over Derwent Water up abit of a hill but its a nice walk through the woods down to town can take about 15-20 mins and about 30 mins to walk back up due to the hill. Plenty to do in the area and not a bad drive out to different places, nice rides out on the boat over derwent water to see the sights on the other side. If you prefer a house to stay in closer to town then there are loads around the area, Keswick is a place you can't really go wrong its lovely and always a nice and relaxing place.
    Absolutely love that site. Stayed there in 1996 for 3 weeks on an army exercise and it was fantastic. Been back to visit a few times and if I had a choice about moving anywhere (other than back to Hampshire) then Keswick would be the place for me.

Thank Post
    I would also vote for staying in Keswick.

Thank Post

Thank Post

Places to stay

I would avoid Windermere, Ambleside - very heavily touristed though lots to do, including rainy days. Agree with so many others, Keswick is good. Also consider Penrith area, good access to North Lakes (and via A66 to the NW and the coast). There is stacks to do - plenty of stately homes and things as well as walking - unless you are determined on the big names Helvellyn, Scafell etc go for the outlying areas e.g. NW fells, far eastern area incl High Street, or the area to the N of Skiddaw: I have walked there for a day in high summer and met no-one. In the Eden Valley you can visit ostrich farm, bakery etc etc. Tourist Info Centre in Keswick or Penrith will help with accom. Other highs - slate mine at Honister, iron ore mine at the coast, and even Sellafield visitor centre....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12