+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Certification in General; Hi guys and girls, After my rather unsuccessful attempt at a career change, i was wondering what training is out ...
    Thank Post

Certification

Hi guys and girls,

After my rather unsuccessful attempt at a career change, i was wondering what training is out there. I am currently employed as a junior tech or as my senior tech likes to call me "The Toner Monkey". What training should i be looking for. I do like to dabble in web design and coding.

Many Thanks

Jamie

Thank Post
    I am in similar position to you. I am desktop a technician (Toners, is it switched on etc). One thing that bugs me is my my Line manager may be talking to other people and he says "Why have a dog and bark yourself". Will your manager not let you attempt the website/ VLE maintenance and backup.

I am currently trying towards COMPTIA Network+ to get onto the Microsoft Route, MCP etc. I am doing it part time at home through the Home learning college.

How long have your been in your post?

Sorry I could not be any more help

nN

Thank Post
    Hi nn,

I have been in my post for just over 6 months but had been working for the school before. I am currently working on a new site design, I'm working along side another tech who isn't doing much but he is doing all the important stuff. I'm looking at doing a+ / n+ and the mcitp. How you finding the n+.

Thank Post
    I did a web development course in my local college I would start there, possibly a part-time course?

In the meantime there is a brilliant website:

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Which have step by step tutorials, code snippets etc etc.

Once you've learnt HTML4, CSS and javascript I would recommend learning PHP or ASP as a server side scripting language with SQL to boot.

On the W3 schools website once you feel confident in what you've learnt you can take practise tests, which you need to be getting at least 80% pass on.

The website also offers online exams if you pass them you get a certificate.

I also highly recommend the CIW course.

But furst things first get enrolled on a local college web development course either a city & guilds one or a BTEC.

Hope I helped PM me anytime if you have further questions.

5. Thanks to MNHughes from:

jamiess (11th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by networkingNut View Post
    I am in similar position to you. I am desktop a technician (Toners, is it switched on etc). One thing that bugs me is my my Line manager may be talking to other people and he says "Why have a dog and bark yourself". Will your manager not let you attempt the website/ VLE maintenance and backup.

I am currently trying towards COMPTIA Network+ to get onto the Microsoft Route, MCP etc. I am doing it part time at home through the Home learning college.

How long have your been in your post?

Sorry I could not be any more help

nN
    How have you been getting on with the home learning college I tried to do the MCSE with them and I felt pretty much left to fend for myself the tutor support was horrible to non-existant. So because of this I quit the course and they said it was non refundable - 2000

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Definitely look for options at your local college.. The cheapest option I have found.

BTW - your boss's behaviour (and you, networkingNut) is not very professional. To put it politely

Thank Post
    One site that i have found to be particularly is Netuts. They offer some good tutorials. I will defiantly look into local collages and the like.

Jamie

Thank Post
    Agree with Witch on this one local colleges are a good option to check out. Like her too I think your boss's behaviour regarding how you are referred to is disgraceful to say the least. We are all in the job to learn and make progress what you don't need is someone putting you down like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Definitely look for options at your local college.. The cheapest option I have found.

BTW - your boss's behaviour (and you, networkingNut) is not very professional. To put it politely
    Thanks.
    I am looking for a new position as I am not really happy here and to be honest I think I have outgrown the role.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread