+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, On Call Payment in General; Evenin All, First off an admission. As of a few weeks ago I became an ex-edugeek, i sold out and ...

Thank Post

On Call Payment

Evenin All,

First off an admission. As of a few weeks ago I became an ex-edugeek, i sold out and moved to the private sector. Still checking back in here (when I get chance) partly to laugh at the poor sods stuck trying to get KS3 testing working but mostly because it's a great resource.
    So onto my point...
    The company I'm now working for is looking at introducing an on-call rota so that somebody is always available if something blows up out of hours. We are having a bit of difference of opinion on what the going rate should be. I know it's not likely in a school but has anyone ever previously worked on call? What would you say is the 'industry norm'?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: On Call Payment

As rule depends how it s worked do you get paid if on call or just if get called out if latter then pay is higher.

To be honest do it one of two ways have a fixed payment of some kind (nominal payment) for being on call then have time and 1/2 for being called out (double on public hols etc).

But pay is only little part how going to handle if person on call was upp all night sorting a problem out then is that person expected to come in next day if so might be breaking employment law. so if person not coming in then need system in place to let manager on duty next day know that person wont be in etc etc.

Thank Post

Indeed Russ. The company has done this on an informal basis before and we have had a couple of meetings to discuss it. We all agree and how it would work, the sticking point is the tiny detail of how much it is worth.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

right to be honest then I would say fee for being on call and time and half for getting called out.

But getting more on public holidays etc..

russ

Thank Post

In my prev job we paid small amount (75p/hour) for being on call (Seems small but multiply by 12 (6pm-6am) x days of week and its real money!

Then if called out - minimum of 4 hours paid at 1.5 normal rate.

Common sense dictated whether person came in next day - called out for 1 hour or so up to midnight - came in. worked 4 hours from 2am - didn't come in.

This was 6 years ago.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep similar for me when I used to do it. We got an extra days pay for being on call or an extra holiday day (our choice). If you got called out and back home before 12am then you came in to work as normal. If it was before 3am then you worked a half day 1pm -> ? (we had flexitime). If you were out on call longer you got a day off. These days/half days didn't effect our holidays or flexitime of course.

Thank Post

When I used to be on call for a client, the company had negotiated a £2.50 an hour standby rate and a double time call out rate.

Needless to say competition for these hours was fierce as we only actually got called out about once a week!!

One thing to check would be the working time directive as I think on call hours coutns towards the 48hrs per week max, or it may only be hours worked whilst on call.

Don't forget to fight for a reasonable on call rate as the company is buying your freedom off you; i.e. you must remain sober, in mobile phone contact etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread