+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
General Chat Thread, Votepower - Find out how powerful your vote is compared to the UK average in General; All this >>> yawn <<< talk of the election.... Discover how much power you have as a UK voter in ...
  1. #1

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740

    Votepower - Find out how powerful your vote is compared to the UK average

    All this >>> yawn <<< talk of the election....

    Discover how much power you have as a UK voter in your constituency

    Find out how powerful your vote is compared to the UK average....

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Yay, my vote is worth the equivalent of 0.1 votes. Voter Power Index results for Bridgwater & Somerset West

  3. #3

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,575
    Thank Post
    834
    Thanked 873 Times in 726 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    324
    Voter Power Index results for Norwich North

    Some thoughts....

    Norwich North had a 61.1% turn out in 2005. So 38.9% did not vote. If we convert the figure into 100% electorate (rather than % of those that voted) we get...

    Labour - 28.78%
    Tory - 18.64%
    LD - 9.81%

    So, if you add the 38.8% abstaners to either the tory or the LD vote then you get a very different result. This is why every vote matters. If everybody actually voted this seat might not be considered 'safe labour' - or maybe those 38.8% are all labour and this is an ultra safe seat - who knows?

    Also, in the 2009 election (labour MP resigned due to expenses scandel) the Tory's won this seat - I bet with a much lower voter turn out. So considering it is currently held by the conservatives, is this seat really 'safe labour'?

    Also the more people that 'waste their votes' on other parties then the smaller the majority of votes the labour party will have, and so at the next election the seat might not appear to be so safe.

  4. #4

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,780
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 591 Times in 443 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    You can do anything want with stats but 95.3% of all pollsters agree that if you do a random sample of more than 5000 people, you'll get a very accurate forecast of who the other 55000 people in a constitsuancy will vote for.

    So as long as more than 10% of the potential voters turn out, it doesn't really matter that the other 90% don't.

    As much as you'd possibly like the non-voters to turn out and change the result - the statisical likelyhoold is that they'll just follow the people who actually voted.

    Sad but true

    Just cast your vote they way you want to and wait for the result

    regards

    Simon
    PS Can we ban election stuff around here

  5. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Can we ban election stuff around here
    Noo! Its fascinating!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [For Sale] Very Powerful Desktop
    By philipsmith in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 3rd February 2010, 11:21 AM
  2. [Video] Powerful Lawn Mower
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd September 2009, 10:01 PM
  3. Wifi power levels compared to mobile phones.
    By farmerste in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 2nd June 2009, 11:57 AM
  4. UK Average Broadband Speed Is...
    By tmcd35 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th January 2009, 02:28 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31st January 2006, 07:59 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •