Poll: Who will you vote for?

+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
General Chat Thread, Who Will The Geeks Vote For In The General Election in General; Originally Posted by LeMarchand If only they hadn't put the tax up on cider... It was only something like 2.5p! ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    If only they hadn't put the tax up on cider...
    It was only something like 2.5p! And they've even repealed that already.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    they've even repealed that already.
    Really! Pass the Diamond White!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Really! Pass the Diamond White!
    Cider tax postponed in 'wash-up' | Money | guardian.co.uk

Thank Post
    That's just embarrassing, to pull a u-turn on a cider tax by some angry bumpkins :P (That is a joke by the way, I'm sure not everyone in the West Country sounds like Phil Harding from Time Team, and listens to the Wurzles)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I find it interesting how the General Election seems to have become solely based upon the economy. No one has mention Iraq, Afghanistan, Student Tuiton Fees, Trident, National Identity Cards, or even MPs expenses. The only other issue has been the Digital Rights Bill (of which only the Lib Dems opposed, as well as a few individual Tory/Labour MPs, but not strongly enough).

Are any issues going to be strong enough to contend with the economy, or is it always going to be about the money?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    Are any issues going to be strong enough to contend with the economy, or is it always going to be about the money?
    At this moment in time, people are only caring about their jobs and money. Everything else is secondary. Sad really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    We have yet to how the leaders debates are going to pan out. Only the last of the three is on the economy. The first is on home affairs and the second is on foreign affairs. Here's hoping they liven up the debate a little and show off some real differences between the three.

Also, if you are really interested it's not that difficult (BBC News - Where They Stand: Guide to party election policies) to find out how the 6 main partys (inc. BNP, UKIP and Green) stand on just about any issue. Vote for whoever you think best represents your personal views on whichever policy area is most important to you.

For me, this year, I'm voting based on the parties stance on constitutional reform. For me the 3 party's most likely to win are too close to one another for issues on the economy to be of any intrest or effect my decision.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    We have yet to how the leaders debates are going to pan out. Only the last of the three is on the economy. The first is on home affairs and the second is on foreign affairs. Here's hoping they liven up the debate a little and show off some real differences between the three.

Also, if you are really interested it's not that difficult (BBC News - Where They Stand: Guide to party election policies) to find out how the 6 main partys (inc. BNP, UKIP and Green) stand on just about any issue. Vote for whoever you think best represents your personal views on whichever policy area is most important to you.

For me, this year, I'm voting based on the parties stance on constitutional reform. For me the 3 party's most likely to win are too close to one another for issues on the economy to be of any intrest or effect my decision.
    i've just had a look under housing, and all three main parties seem totally clueless.

The tories local referendum on house building sounds ridiculous, labour want to continue with the pointless HIPS [not like them to continue foisting more admin on us is there ], and the libdems want a 'safe start' mortgage to protect people against negative equity. What for ? We already have several things that protect people from negative equity, the planning system for one springs to mind and the other is a little thing called a deposit. The libdems aren't hoping for a return of 100% interest-only mortgages by any chance....?

two of the parties want to scrap housebuilding targets entirely and the incumbents can't get even close to their own housbuilding targets....

just hopeless. all three of them.

Thank Post
    At this moment in time, people are only caring about their jobs and money. Everything else is secondary. Sad really.
    /Rant
    Im 27 and been voting for 9 years now, I consider myself to be educated to a good level and have my whits about me but for the life of me I really feel that whoever I vote for it means jack squat to me, my family or my friends. Who ever I choose I will have no say over what laws are passed or where money is spent and im sure someone will bleat in with one vote could make x difference.... whatever! No one cares about voting anymore as all we see as a result is stupid laws being passed, taxed up the arse for everything and spending cuts and all the fun that brings. We fight wars in other countries where our soldiers are killed for no reason because we need oil or America wants its hand holding or whatever excuse they dream up! Dont even get me started on immigration or benefits!! lol

So yeh, all I care about is that I have a job to pay my mortgage, bills, tax, tax and have some left to have a pint which is taxed and drive my car (taxed) and then repair it (taxed) because of all the bleeding pot holes!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    /Rant
    Im 27 and been voting for 9 years now, I consider myself to be educated to a good level and have my whits about me but for the life of me I really feel that whoever I vote for it means jack squat to me, my family or my friends.
    I'm in a very similar boat, slightly older than you and at each general election I've been eligible for (this one will be the third) I will have voted for different parties.

There really should be a mechanism by which you can positively abstain friom the process - ie tick a box to say "You're all crap, but I wish to excercise my right to vote."

Sad yes, but hardly surprising is it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678