Poll: Who will you vote for?

+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Who Will The Geeks Vote For In The General Election in General; Originally Posted by broc Not voting for Labour is as good as voting Conservative.... in terms of deciding who will ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Not voting for Labour is as good as voting Conservative.... in terms of deciding who will govern the country.
    That's a self fullfilling profecy! It's caused by...

- Voters staying at home because they believe their vote doesn't count. 61% last time, 59% turn out the time before.
    - Voters believing the choice is only between two parties so vote for the lesser of two evils rather than their own believes.
    - A first past the post electorial system that allows a party to get >50% seats with <40% of the national vote.

Maybe if more people took an interest, more people got out and voted, more people voted for what they believe - we'd have a chance at getting out of this mess?

2. 2 Thanks to tmcd35:

broc (9th April 2010), localzuk (9th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    That's a self fullfilling profecy! It's caused by...

- Voters staying at home because they believe their vote doesn't count. 61% last time, 59% turn out the time before.
    - Voters believing the choice is only between two parties so vote for the lesser of two evils rather than their own believes.
    - A first past the post electorial system that allows a party to get >50% seats with <40% of the national vote.

Maybe if more people took an interest, more people got out and voted, more people voted for what they believe - we'd have a chance at getting out of this mess?
    I agree with you... totally!

Thank Post
    i just can't believe that the most labour have to offer is another five years of tinkering with taxes and putting off any hard spending choices.

Is that going to stop the wealth gap from continuing to exist ? I don't think so. I agree with progressive taxatoin rather than the 'flat' tax proposed by some, but i can't believe that it's redistributive. Taxing high earners half of their salary isn't stopping them from earning those sums and ploughing the money into investment and assets which provide better returns....plus the rich know how to minimise the tax burden and seek out more tax friendly ways of moving their money around.

But then again that's all labour have, because they will never cut off the welfare to the high earners. Will they ever cut the high five figure and six figure salaries to managers in the public sector ? Will they outlaw some of the methods of financial speculation which allow high six figure and seven earners to coin it ? not a chance.

No. It's all after the fact taxation which doesn't really inhibit the earning power AND spending power of the high earners.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The only ones who are saying anything sensible are Lib Dems.
    ok, they are saying something that you and others agree with. They do that from being in a position of the 'third' party. Who cannot be in a position to win outright under the currenct system.......whereas what labour and the tories say will have a bearing because they could literally be running the country within a few weeks.

So both osbourne and darling have to be more circumspect when they discuss issues on the economy.....whereas the LD's can say all sorts and much of it doesn't really matter, until such point as they become a genuine contender for outright victory. Then what ? Would they still believe in the euro and nationalising the banks if what they said really mattered ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    ok, they are saying something that you and others agree with. They do that from being in a position of the 'third' party. Who cannot be in a position to win outright under the currenct system.......whereas what labour and the tories say will have a bearing because they could literally be running the country within a few weeks.
    Can you explain this further? Why can't they win? If people voted properly, then they'd have a chance...

So both osbourne and darling have to be more circumspect when they discuss issues on the economy.....whereas the LD's can say all sorts and much of it doesn't really matter, until such point as they become a genuine contender for outright victory. Then what ? Would they still believe in the euro and nationalising the banks if what they said really mattered ?
    I'd hope they would be following through on election pledges, and don't suddenly turn into the third copy of the conservatives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    until such point as they become a genuine contender for outright victory. Then what ? Would they still believe in the euro and nationalising the banks if what they said really mattered ?
    How will we ever know/find out if we keep repeating the same endless lab/tory cycle that has got us no where over the past 100 years? Change has to start somewhere. Maybe it's with a Lib Dem party with a strong voice advocating change in a hung parliament, maybe it's not - only time will tell. Personally I sooner give them the benefit of the doubt since we know where the lab/tory cycle will continue to lead us.

Thank Post
    If the Liberal Democrats had a real chance, then the other two parties would turn more of their scrutiny on them. At the moment the Liberal Democrats tend to get an easy ride. The Liberal Democrats best hope is to sneak to power, without people really getting a chance to vet their policies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    How will we ever know/find out if we keep repeating the same endless lab/tory cycle that has got us no where over the past 100 years? Change has to start somewhere. Maybe it's with a Lib Dem party with a strong voice advocating change in a hung parliament, maybe it's not - only time will tell. Personally I sooner give them the benefit of the doubt since we know where the lab/tory cycle will continue to lead us.
    yes, i think benefit of the doubt is fair enough.

but i'm just wondering how different they really are from the tories [we know they're not that very different from labour], and how workable some of their proposals are under the current systems we have in place.

that comes under scrutiny now. i'd be interested to know what changes they are promising as a new govt. stand up to scrutiny. [and that's not just a case of 'if we don't vote them in we'll never know'].

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duncane View Post
    If the Liberal Democrats had a real chance, then the other two parties would turn more of their scrutiny on them. At the moment the Liberal Democrats tend to get an easy ride. The Liberal Democrats best hope is to sneak to power, without people really getting a chance to vet their policies.
    i think you just hit the nail on the head, duncane. ;0)

Thank Post
    Definitely want Brown out, that guy couldn't run a bath let alone the country (and he hates drivers as well so that's reason alone to kick him out!)

Somehow don't Cameron and as a football fan I know he was in charge of ITV Digital and we know what happened there so still a bit dubious.

I'll go for UKIP as I always do... won't get in but I feel better nonetheless

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Definitely want Brown out, that guy couldn't run a bath let alone the country (and he hates drivers as well so that's reason alone to kick him out!)

Somehow don't Cameron and as a football fan I know he was in charge of ITV Digital and we know what happened there so still a bit dubious.

I'll go for UKIP as I always do... won't get in but I feel better nonetheless
    UKIP are in bed with the RIAA.

Read up on ACTA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The problem is that NI ,is not ringfenced for health purposes, just like road tax is just added to the pot. It is a method of general taxation. And it is a fact that we as UK workers have never been as highly taxed as we are now, it's just that most of it is by stealth.
    Agreed, incidentally this amuses me no end: http://www.irintech.com/x1/images/jean/i_paid_tax.jpg (WARNING: Image contains swearing)

Ben ;-)

14. 2 Thanks to bgarston:

Devontechie (10th April 2010), mattx (10th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bgarston View Post
    Agreed, incidentally this amuses me no end: http://www.irintech.com/x1/images/jean/i_paid_tax.jpg (WARNING: Image contains swearing)

Ben ;-)
    Where do I buy 1 of those?

Thank Post
    After a little digging about i've found the disk holders are avalable here: http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/I...er_.html#a1559

Ben
    Last edited by bgarston; 10th April 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I think we should all go and buy loads of cheap cider & drown our sorrows this weekend
    If only they hadn't put the tax up on cider...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast