Poll: Who will you vote for?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 115
General Chat Thread, Who Will The Geeks Vote For In The General Election in General; Your poll needs a 'None' option - they're all scum-sucking bottom-feeders and none of them deserve any votes. Don't vote ...
  1. #16

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,136
    Thank Post
    1,913
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Your poll needs a 'None' option - they're all scum-sucking bottom-feeders and none of them deserve any votes. Don't vote - teach the snout-in-trough leeching slimeball politicians a lesson in democracy.

  2. #17
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    The poll is perhaps reflecting the ballot paper? There is no way in the current voting system that a true democracy can be franchised. (not even in Edugeek)

  3. #18

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    what difference does that make ? 70% of the population probably did vote for one of the three neoliberal parties.....or do you believe in the fairy story that the libdems and saint vince are radically different to the other two and would be infintely more competent should they have a say in govt. ?

    You are missing the point when it comes to voting for 'someone else' - be that the Lib Dems, Greens, Monster Raving Looney Party etc... The only way we are ever going to get constitutional reform is by stopping voting for the 'big 2'. Force the hand of the government - whoever they are.

  4. #19
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You are missing the point when it comes to voting for 'someone else' - be that the Lib Dems, Greens, Monster Raving Looney Party etc... The only way we are ever going to get constitutional reform is by stopping voting for the 'big 2'. Force the hand of the government - whoever they are.
    what we can expect for the next 5 years is based less on their being electoral reform and a more representative system, but more by what the international consensus. This to a large degree shapes our economic performance, the role of large corporations. the impact of globalization etc. We've seen that with financial crisis, and some of the similar impacts happening all over the world.....cheap credit, high house prices, cheap labour.

    Who we decide amongst ourselves to give more of a voice to i think is not going to have as large an impact in my view.
    Anyone we vote in needs to understand and work within this global environment....and to a degree follow the consensus amongst the developed countries similar to ourselves.

  5. #20

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    what we can expect for the next 5 years is based less on their being electoral reform and a more representative system, but more by what the international consensus. This to a large degree shapes our economic performance, the role of large corporations. the impact of globalization etc. We've seen that with financial crisis, and some of the similar impacts happening all over the world.....cheap credit, high house prices, cheap labour.

    Who we decide amongst ourselves to give more of a voice to i think is not going to have as large an impact in my view.
    Anyone we vote in needs to understand and work within this global environment....and to a degree follow the consensus amongst the developed countries similar to ourselves.
    Yet another reason not to choose the Tories - a party which wants to back us out of existing treaties, and start afresh. Something that will *really* help our recession hit country...

  6. #21
    duncane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    156
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    I definitely won't be voting for the party that doubled the rate of income tax from 10p to 20p when I was on £12.5k a year.

    The scary thing about the Labour Party is that they genuinely believe their own spin - much like the American Republicans under George Bush.

  7. #22

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,189
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 775 Times in 585 Posts
    Rep Power
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yet another reason not to choose the Tories - a party which wants to back us out of existing treaties, and start afresh. Something that will *really* help our recession hit country...
    Would that be the treaty we were promised a referendum on in Labours last manifesto by any chance?

  8. #23

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Would that be the treaty we were promised a referendum on in Labours last manifesto by any chance?
    Labour are useless also. They failed on many of their election manifesto pledges from 1997, and again each time they were re-elected. Another such example would be their pledge to hold a judicial review of animal testing. Something they simply ignored once they were in power.

    However much you dislike the way Labour ended up signing us up to the Lisbon treaty, this isn't a reason to vote the Tories in. Also, the promised referendum was for the 'Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe' IIRC. The Lisbon Treaty is nowhere near as far reaching as that treaty was, and as such a referendum wasn't really needed.

  9. #24

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by duncane View Post
    I definitely won't be voting for the party that doubled the rate of income tax from 10p to 20p when I was on £12.5k a year.

    The scary thing about the Labour Party is that they genuinely believe their own spin - much like the American Republicans under George Bush.
    They did double that amount, but also increased the threshold, and reduced that tax level from 22% down to 20%. IIRC, it was also done with tweaks of the NI thresholds and amounts too, along with handing back a lump of money to each person for a year. Meaning, effectively, everyone below about 16k were better off. The ones that lost the most were those in the 16k - 22k band IIRC (putting me smack bang in the middle). How much were you actually better or worse off?

  10. #25
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yet another reason not to choose the Tories - a party which wants to back us out of existing treaties, and start afresh. Something that will *really* help our recession hit country...
    no. as i said, the main parties probably understand the need to work within international frameworks and system, for want of a better phrase.

    Some of these systems are just plain selly, like economic monetary union, but fortunately we've been able to stay out of that, although we still have to be aware of how that effects us as far as being trading partners with EMU countries.

    Remind me again, what the libdem position on the single currency was/is ?

  11. #26

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    no. as i said, the main parties probably understand the need to work within international frameworks and system, for want of a better phrase.

    Some of these systems are just plain selly, like economic monetary union, but fortunately we've been able to stay out of that, although we still have to be aware of how that effects us as far as being trading partners with EMU countries.

    Remind me again, what the libdem position on the single currency was/is ?
    Sorry but Tories may well understand the need to operate within the frameworks, but their stance is, to put it bluntly 'lets tear it all up, and withdraw! We want to call the shots with all our trade agreements, screw working within the EU!'.

    The lib dem policy on the single currency is similar to Labour's - don't rush in, but don't rule it out, one day. If being a part of it would make sense for the UK to do, it would look at it then, but it isn't right just yet. Compared to Tories of 'never in a million years!'.

    How is the single currency silly by the way?

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,157
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How is the single currency silly by the way?
    I don't really know what to think about it except that not having a single currency means that a lot of people sit in the the City of London making shed loads of money buying and selling currencies at no real benefit to the majority of people.

    I also know that some of those most vehemently opposed (Nigel Farage, for example) are barking mad so if they think the Euro is a bad idea then I reckon there must be something good about it for normal people!

  13. #28
    Muddyfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I bunged down "other" pity you couldn't extend the poll to include other but also Green (my choice), UKIP, and BNP as it's a fair guess they might all get a fair crack of the vote even amongst a select audience we have here?
    Last edited by Muddyfox; 7th April 2010 at 07:40 PM.

  14. #29
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Sorry but Tories may well understand the need to operate within the frameworks, but their stance is, to put it bluntly 'lets tear it all up, and withdraw! We want to call the shots with all our trade agreements, screw working within the EU!'.

    The lib dem policy on the single currency is similar to Labour's - don't rush in, but don't rule it out, one day. If being a part of it would make sense for the UK to do, it would look at it then, but it isn't right just yet. Compared to Tories of 'never in a million years!'.

    How is the single currency silly by the way?
    Well, the tories and the likes of farage are right to rule it out. Even though those characters probably aren't ruling it out for precisely the right reasons.

    the main reason the single currency is flawed, is that by joining we are giving up currency sovereignty, and a currency with a flexible exchange rate. That's quite important if we go back to the ERM debacle.

    With the £ the gubbermint can react to events like downturns and tailor it's response based on the situation that exists in the UK, and not be constrained by european central policy. So that means we can set our own interest rates independent of the ecb, run the deficits required, devalue the currency.....all the things that the govt. has done. and not dissimilar to what the US has done. The eurozone has done similar as far as monetary policy , but it's really a one size for many diverse economies approach. Does that sound sensible ?

    So if a politician in the uk says they won't rule it out.....what are they expecting to happen for it to be a preferable option to keeping the pound ? Answer is nothing can happen to make it a better option than retaining currency sovereignty [keeping the £] So while a million years is a long time, the reality is...it just ain't gonna happen. I think even those in labour and libdems have to accept that now, but they'd look stupid if they came out and said as much. Because they've tried to be neutral on the issue in the past. Which tells me they didn't understand it's flaws.

    In this case the eurosceptic positon is correct, but if your one of those people who just mindlessly opposes any position that eurosceptics take for fear of being labelled a right-wing anti-EU loon....then you wouldn't have the first clue about finding out why the single currency is silly. And that's why politics isn't just about voting in the smaller parties for 'change' or about being on the left or right.

    IF the smaller parties are just as clueless in some areas of policy, and important areas at that, then
    whassapoint ?
    Last edited by torledo; 7th April 2010 at 07:03 PM.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,157
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by duncane View Post
    I definitely won't be voting for the party that doubled the rate of income tax from 10p to 20p when I was on £12.5k a year.
    Remember that they are also the party that cut the rate to 10% (from 23% when they came into office) - it's not as if tax was always 10% and Gordon Brown decided to put it up!

    Also remember that Gordon Brown cut the VAT on domestic fuel (ie gas and electricity) from 8% (as introduced by the last Conservative government) to 5%. It's not a huge cut (probably not worth more then £20-£30 a year for many people) but if you're on a low income then "every little helps"

    It's also misleading to talk about doubling the rate of tax from 10% to 20% - the 10% was only ever paid on a very small fraction of income. Yes, it made a difference and, yes, the whole process was badly handled but it didn't "double the rate of income tax."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 6th April 2010, 01:14 PM
  2. BSF Election review
    By monkeyx in forum BSF
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th January 2010, 08:08 AM
  3. Vote for Moodle
    By monkeyx in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th July 2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Vote for new features!
    By bizzel in forum EduSweep
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th May 2008, 11:05 PM
  5. Geeks?
    By GrumbleDook in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th January 2006, 07:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •