+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, This is all you need to know about this year's election. in General; Originally Posted by localzuk Ok, if you all dislike the parties that exist, why not put up or shut up? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, if you all dislike the parties that exist, why not put up or shut up? ie. put yourself forward as a candidate in your local area.
    I have considered it, however without being independently wealthy or having party backing there really isn't too much I can do. Even printing leaflets would wipe out my savings, and then I wouldn't be able to afford the deposit.

After I make my first few million I'll be able to look into it more seriously.

Sure, the system is currently geared towards 2 parties, but if everyone stopped whinging and actually did something - like vote for a non-mainstream party, an independent candidate or actually stood in the election themselves, then the system would be forced to change. Every vote that goes to someone not in the labour or conservative parties is a vote for change. A spoiled ballot is nothing - it is ignored.
    Well I do something. While I will place a vote for the least-worst option, I will also write to the MP in question explaining that I did vote for them but under protest, explaining why their party affiliation makes me unwilling to give them my full support but that from what I have seen of their actions on the local scale, and working on behalf of their constituency, I feel that they are a better option. Its not much, but at least I am getting my views across in a more effective manner than simply spoiling a ballot paper.

Not voting is simply throwing away any voice you have, and then saying 'well I had no choice'.
    Partly agree here. I would encourage people to spoil a ballot paper rather than not vote at all, or lodge a protest vote for a fringe party (but not one that has a chance of getting in, that could be disastrous).

The only reason our political system is in the mess it is now, is because of voter apathy and because of people not doing something about it!
    Also because of the strictness of party lines, and the way that adherence to them is enforced. If parties did what they are supposed to and simply represented an attitude with a few core beliefs, rather than a hard-line set of detailed rules, then we wouldn't have so many problems. MPs should have more freedom to speak their own mind, and more importantly to represent their constituents. Many do the best they can with this, but in order to have any weight to their voice they have to belong to a party, which limits their freedoms.

Drives me mad!
    No argument there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All this kinda points to one solution - everyone should vote Lib Dem, to allow them to implement their planned electoral reform!

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

tmcd35 (6th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    All this kinda points to one solution - everyone should vote Lib Dem, to allow them to implement their planned electoral reform!
    I've said this in previous political threads and it is something I truely believe in. We have a very very good chance at a hung parliment this time. By only voting for the 'big two' we'd be wasting our chance at political reform that'll move us away from 2-party politics into something more democratic. Any vote for any party other than lab or tory is not wasted. If it help forces a hung parliment and reduces the working majority of which ever of the two form the minority governmenty then that will be a very good thing. Hung parliments are not necersarrily weak parliments IMHO, some important reforms/changes may only have a chance of happening under this type of government.

For me the worst thing that could happen is waking up on May 7th to a Tory majority government, followed closesly by waking up to 5 more years of this labour governement (only a marginally better prospect than traditional tory spending cuts and privitisation).

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    The trouble with the Lib Dems is they seem to panic when in charge. As if they are are saying we are only in it because someone needs to be but if we are voted in we would rather not play. Oh my God, you want us to rule???? Really???.

It's ceratinly the case here in local elections.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    The trouble with the Lib Dems is they seem to panic when in charge. As if they are are saying we are only in it because someone needs to be but if we are voted in we would rather not play. Oh my God, you want us to rule???? Really???.

Better, IMO, than 'ooh look, we have a giant cheque book' or 'ooh, look, there's too many people in jobs, lets sack em all and make ourselves better off'...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post

the trouble with the libdems to me is that they seem to be all hype and no trousers. When Cable is pushed on the economy he contradicts himself quite a lot. Plus he repeats the same arguments suggesting to me he doesn't have that many new ideas....

same with others on the frontbench. They talk about cuts, but then are the cuts they are proposing that much different to the easy options the other main parties will want to choose. And they too want to push the issue out another year which isn't really tackling the problem in the way they suggest they are.

I like how some on here reckon multiparty politics is the answer to three decades of neoliberal govt., when a hung parliament and libdems as kingmakers means three neoliberal parties wanting a say. Doh!!
    Maybe the libdems can have a positive influence on the election and the policies of the eventual ruling govt. but i predict a lot of people are going to be left disappointed by the actual 'change' that is offered up as a result of a hung parliament. Just my 2 cents.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123