+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, The importance of school internet connections in General; Surely, with more and more ICT being outsourced, hosted in clouds etc... redundant internet connections should be appearing as a ...

Thank Post
    Surely, with more and more ICT being outsourced, hosted in clouds etc... redundant internet connections should be appearing as a standard feature for all schools.

LEAs and RBCs don't seem to quite be grasping the concept
    Welcome to my world.

My plea's for diversity for internet access are ignored and CLEO just plough on providing faster and faster single ended links

I cry over the fact that the (well intentioned) people that believe they know best have probably not worked at the coal face for a period that can probably be measured in decades

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    In the LA we have multiple redundant loops that schools connect into, two backhauls to the EMBC core which is spread over 2 data centres, each having their own line ... one to JANET (damaged last week in a bodged attempted theft of copper) and the other is a commercial line via Affiniti. It seriously struggled last week but coped ... but there is a 3rd line to go in soon too.
    Lovely in LA Land

This doesn't provide schools with full redundancy as that would involve a second line into each school
    Quite

You either have redundancy or you don't - if you have a single point of failure (disregarding esoteric discussions on what happens when the changeover relay fails ) then you don't have a redundant system.

And nowadays not having internet can equate fairly well to not having heating in a school - yes, you can carry on with activities on a lot of days but if its freezing outside then you have to close the school.

I'm sorry that it would cost money to provide the redundancy needed but someone needs to realise that it is an actual requirement and not a nice to have.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    nothing to do with this is it?? BT flood knocks out Broadband and phone services

i know you are not using bt but it mentions other companys. not sure how far north it affected tho

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    nothing to do with this is it?? BT flood knocks out Broadband and phone services

i know you are not using bt but it mentions other companys. not sure how far north it affected tho
    I saw that, think it probably was to do with it - IIRC SWGfL connections go via London points of presence.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12