+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Vote for policies, not personalities! in General; Not sure who to vote for at the election? Sick and tired of the schoolboy bickering between the political leaders? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Vote for policies, not personalities!

Not sure who to vote for at the election? Sick and tired of the schoolboy bickering between the political leaders? Cut to the chase and concentrate on the policies

Complete our unique survey based on policies alone to find out who you should be voting for at the next election, the results might just suprise you!
    Vote for Policies - Vote for policies, not personalities!

Thank Post
    UKIP

But then again, i didn't exactly pore over every details of each manifesto policy options available.....
    and i didn't choose 'europe' as one of the policy areas . so that possibly explains it.

but you know i'm not as interested in voting for specific policies as i am in voting for some sort of change. And i'm not really that keen on backing any losing horse in an election either.....so voting for policy rather than political personalities is fine in theory but i don't personally see the point in voting for policy that's unlikely to be implemented.
    Last edited by witch; 29th March 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    is there any point they will all promise you the world and deliver what they want and f you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Wow! Suppose it's in keeping with last thread of this nature. Hasn't change my mind on how I'm voting this time but certainly in keeping with me being generally a left of center bleeding heart liberal. Just didn't think I was a greenie!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    so voting for policy rather than political personalities is fine in theory but i don't personally see the point in voting for policy that's unlikely to be implemented.
    If we all thought like that the whole democratic system would be pointless, would it not?

I'm still undecided on how to use my vote at the moment. Do I use it as part of a protest vote and go for the Pirate Party - but what will that really achieve, if anything? Or vote for a party who's policies I agree with but they ultimately have a lower share of votes at the moment that it won't make a difference in the end.

My results of the survey were split twice equally over 4 parties - 2x 37.5% and 2x 12.5%. None of those parties were Labour or Conservatives.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

Wow! Suppose it's in keeping with last thread of this nature. Hasn't change my mind on how I'm voting this time but certainly in keeping with me being generally a left of center bleeding heart liberal. Just didn't think I was a greenie!
    Where did you do that survey? -[ Edit... oooo is it the link above.... doh -I'm having a bad day today]

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    If we all thought like that the whole democratic system would be pointless, would it not?

I'm voting for a party this time who I think will have real influence in the next parliment. By voting for them I think we're more likely to have a hung parliment and thus their voice will be more important. I'm hoping they'll use their newly found power to push through some proper political reforms - such as alternate/STV voting and a more demcrated House of Lords.

If they succeed then future elections will be more democratic and votes for smaller parties such as Green or UKIP or (dare I say it) BNP will not be concidered wasted votes. Perhaps then more people will engage in politics, more people will vote for the parties that actually match their own political ideal and the more likely the country will improve in ways the majority actually want.

Thank Post
    What a handy link! Thanks for the tip.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I'm still undecided on how to use my vote at the moment. Do I use it as part of a protest vote and go for the Pirate Party - but what will that really achieve, if anything? Or vote for a party who's policies I agree with but they ultimately have a lower share of votes at the moment that it won't make a difference in the end.
    Tricky choice; if you want to make your vote count in most areas of the UK you only have a choice of two parties:

Centre right - aka New Labour
    Ultra right - aka Tories

Quite honestly I think the Lib Dems have the most credible economic policies, it is a pity they don't have a bigger share of the vote.

Thank Post
    Most people I know would vote for party C,Y or Z.

Most people I know will vote for A or B just to get the other one out... they don't even know their watered down policies or care, they believe the puppet on the 'right' will make a change from the puppet on the 'left' that's still in power.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 29th March 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Quite honestly I think the Lib Dems have the most credible economic policies, it is a pity they don't have a bigger share of the vote.
    As I hinted at above, I think an LD vote this time around is far from wasted. We're heading, if the polls are to be believed, for a hung parliment. The LD's are likely to have a strong voice in the next parliment and any help we can give them, extra votes, must be a good thing?

I've never understood the 'only real choices are Labour or Conservative' mentality. In fact it's something of a self fullfilling policy. We seem to have a rare opportunity this time break the Lab/Tory cycle. And maybe a better voting system will be in place before the next general election to ensure we never full into the same two party trap again.

Thank Post
    I've never understood the 'only real choices are Labour or Conservative' mentality. In fact it's something of a self fullfilling policy. We seem to have a rare opportunity this time break the Lab/Tory cycle. And maybe a better voting system will be in place before the next general election to ensure we never full into the same two party trap again.
    Its such a shame because all it would take is for all the people who "vote tactically" (vote the main party out) voted for who they actually wanted, we wouldn't be in the mess.

I'd like to stick my oar in about newspapers being allowed to endorse entire political parties, swaying entire groups of red-top reading morons back to A or B.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    is there any point they will all promise you the world and deliver what they want and f you
    spot on.

there should be a box on the ballot paper that allows you to vote for 'none of the above'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    spot on.

there should be a box on the ballot paper that allows you to vote for 'none of the above'.
    Have you ever seen the film 'Brewster Millions'?

EDIT: So what would happen, how would the country be run without an elected government? say if everyone voted for 'none of the above'?

Thank Post
    EDIT: So what would happen, how would the country be run without an elected government? say if everyone voted for 'none of the above'?
    unlikely. but in the event i think we'd have no choice but to put Simon Cowell and Max Clifford in charge.

16. Thanks to torledo from:

tmcd35 (29th March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast