+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Vote for policies, not personalities! in General; Well I went with all the categories, ended up UKIP 44%, Conservative 22%, LibDems/Green/BNP all 11% Quite surprised by that ...

Thank Post
    Well I went with all the categories, ended up UKIP 44%, Conservative 22%, LibDems/Green/BNP all 11%
    Quite surprised by that mix, but not surprised that I didn't choose any of the policies of the current administration.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm finding the green party - in'tree'ging (). I used to think of them as tree huggers. But they actually have a lot of well rounded social/liberal policies in other areas - Economy, Europe, Crime, etc.
    I agree - they're not a one-policy party as some people perceive them. But I don't agree with their green policies (ironically) - from things I read, the sustainable sources they propose (wind, solar) just won't provide adequately for demand; which is where I believe nuclear is the direction we should be looking.

But the Green Party was one of the 17.5% parts of my survey result - so I must agree with them on something (I can't remember which policy).

Thank Post
    I'm finding the green party - in'tree'ging (). I used to think of them as tree huggers. But they actually have a lot of well rounded social/liberal policies in other areas - Economy, Europe, Crime, etc.
    Agreed - they are now in a position to actually look like a real political party, whereas in the past they simply didn't have enough suitable ministerial people.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    the sustainable sources they propose (wind, solar) just won't provide adequately for demand; which is where I believe nuclear is the direction we should be looking.
    What do you propose we do with the spent fuel rods though? Find an answer to that question, and nuclear becomes viable, but until then....

Thank Post
    So what would happen, how would the country be run without an elected government? say if everyone voted for 'none of the above'?
    How about proportional representation instead of our current system?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    How about proportional representation instead of our current system?
    Hey, read back through my posts I'm all for proportional representation. The Single Transferable Vote. I believe that 2-party politics is what is wrong with government at the moment and until some of the 'fringe' parties get a voice politics in this country will always appear corrupt and will not engage the masses.

That's why I'm voting LD this time. We need a hung parliment and we need the LD's to have a strong voice in a hung parliment. Then true political reform, like STV and a new House of Lords, stand a chance of actually happening.

(I might get of my soap box in a minute )

Thank Post
    A hung parliament would give LD a good strong voice, but history has often found them to be ineffective at making radical change - not sure that's what we need just now...

One big problem I see is just how many of the voting public think we already have PR. The number of times you hear people talk about voting for the Prime Minister, or voting Conservative because they want a Con government. I live in an area where Lab are huge and LD are the second party, therefore to get a Con govt, you actually want to vote LD. I'd welcome a scheme whereby the system is explained to people, although I have no idea how this would actually work in practice!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Agreed - they are now in a position to actually look like a real political party, whereas in the past they simply didn't have enough suitable ministerial people.
    so how many seats are they forecast to win ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    so how many seats are they forecast to win ?
    Not many, sadly. What I meant was that they now have policies for things other than the environment, and people "in the know" on these areas, so if they were to randomly spirit up 50 or so seats they would be in a position to be a "real" party.

Thank Post
    Yeah I'm surprised by the Greens. Never really considered them as their green policies often seemed a bit loony but I ended up with 50% them, 25% each for Labour & LD.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Not sure who to vote for at the election? Sick and tired of the schoolboy bickering between the political leaders? Cut to the chase and concentrate on the policies

Vote for Policies - Vote for policies, not personalities!
    i spent 20mins on that and then it had an error and cant tell me the result

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123