+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
General Chat Thread, Double standards removing the word **** from posts? in General; Originally Posted by maniac I don't find it tedious - I find it interesting, but simply because it totally gobsmacks ...
    theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I don't find it tedious - I find it interesting, but simply because it totally gobsmacks me how much effort people put into something that at the end of the day is totally and utterly pointless - I mean this a forum at the end of the day, that's all it is. We don't pay anything to be here, it doesn't change the course of our lives if a certain word is censored or not, so why does it really matter?

This is possbily the best example yet of making mountains out of molehills.
    Sorry, I mistook your earlier ***Yawn*** as a sign you found the thread uninteresting....

Notwithstanding, what you find "totally and utterly pointless" may well, in actual fact, not be the case for someone else.

Indeed, for someone like DOS_BOX, the Edugeek forums are quite possibly so far from 'pointless' as you can imagine. They are his (and others) jobs and income.

Of course this means that there is a bigger picture at stake, this being Edugeek's public reputation for being a 'clean', well presented and professional gathering of Educational IT workers. I presume you have considered this? That is why it really does matter.

Of course, the alternative is slack moderation, vitriol and flaming, and general 'do what you like' behaviour.

Admittedly, given the initial question by RoF was more personal than general, it still raises questions over forum rules (for some) whereas others will be quite content to self-moderate. Discussions like this need to take place, like it or not.

Duly noted how much effort you have taken to get involved in telling us how much you don't think anyone should be involved. Naturally, you needed to reply.

Thank Post
    Personally, (and this is just a personal opinion before you all jump on me) I think there's too many people on here trying to run the forum who have nothing to do with the place other than general membership.

What I mean is mods, admins, and others in similar roles obviously have a job to keep this place running - but aside from those guys there are too many sticking their oar where it doesn't belong.

3. 5 Thanks to Hightower:

korifugi (30th March 2010), maniac (30th March 2010), OutToLunch (30th March 2010), powdarrmonkey (30th March 2010), Tyiell (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Of course, the alternative is slack moderation, vitriol and flaming, and general 'do what you like' behaviour.
    The alturnative is for people to let the moderators get on with their jobs and stop questioning their actions every 5 minutes. Just last week someone mentioned about the the TES forums bickering amongst themselves, now look at us!

Thank Post
    I really thought I was getting somewhere but seems I was wrong.

Of course this means that there is a bigger picture at stake, this being Edugeek's public reputation for being a 'clean', well presented and professional gathering of Educational IT workers. I presume you have considered this? That is why it really does matter.
    Yes think of the advertisers.
    Last edited by EduTech; 30th March 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Insulting Other Members / Inappropriate Content

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    I really thought I was getting somewhere but seems I was wrong.
    Yes think of the advertisers.
    Another good example RoF, altho I consider the C U phrase worse than some of the words banded around here.

Horrid Horrid word!!
    Last edited by EduTech; 30th March 2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Follow through from Quote removed

7. 2 Thanks to CHR1S:

CPLTD (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thread Locked

locked to prevent thread from getting out of hand, awaiting feedback from admins as per ZH post and update will be released shortly via an Admin

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678