+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Double standards removing the word **** from posts? in General; Originally Posted by RingOfFlame That is a shame. I do not know about any giant flagrant abuse of power by ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    That is a shame. I do not know about any giant flagrant abuse of power by a mod but a google brings up a rather interesting item.
    [citation needed]

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post

One wonders why you bother.
    I like to see the truth explored. I think the truth of the matter is that this thread was started by you for no other reason than to stir things up. Duly noted you don't appear to have denied this. Perhaps you will now? Would you have entitled a message directly to the admins in the same way, or made some of the sweeping accusations therein?

So you dislike me so much you suggest suicide is better then me posting on these forums? You need help my friend.
    I didn't expect you to appreciate the underlying humour therein, which is why it wasn't actually posted for your benefit. You didn't get it, I'm not going to explain it, it's history. C'est la vie.

Besides, I don't dislike you, simply because I don't know you. But I don't like some of what you have to say or the way you say it. You'll note I have responded in both a supportive and challenging manner to your posts in the past, so I do play fair.

Last edited by theeldergeek; 30th March 2010 at 01:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right, hello all
    I have not had time to fully digest each of the posts in this thread as we have been away at the LFGL conf but just as a heads up this week we will clarify the policy on bad words to allow everyone to understand the words that are currently banned on EduGeek. The biggest issue with coming up with a list is that everyone has a different idea of what is acceptable and what isn't. We hope that our final list will help everyone know what they can and can not get away with but like I say, even though a word may not be on the ban list as such if you use it derogatorily then any word could result in a warning from mods/admins.
    We will be back to more normal operations admin wise on wendesday but we do strive to have a consistent approach to applying rules but it can be hard to firm up policies before the problem has occured. Sadly we can be "on the back foot" as such with policies such as this though but like I say we will be posting a bad list as such to help ensure everyone knows where they are when it comes to posting.
    Although it may not be a nessarily complete list as such we hope that it will minimise issues such as this.

Cheers all

4. 5 Thanks to ZeroHour:

john (30th March 2010), nephilim (30th March 2010), RingOfFlame (30th March 2010), vikpaw (30th March 2010), witch (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,482 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update ZH.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having gone through the posts, this one I would like to raise attention too

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Others have had rocky starts here and have gone on to be well thought of members of the community. I would name names, but I don't want to embarrass them!
    No need for embarrassment on my behalf.

Within my 1st week here I racked up -3 rep points....which was not a good start. Look at me now, a productive member of this community!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Look at me now, a productive member of this community!
    If you say so yourself

8. Thanks to Hightower from:

FN-GM (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I like to think so, I have had quote a few thanks, and rep points since my bad start, so that would lead me to believe that I am productive

Thank Post
    Well I like to think so, I have had quote a few thanks, and rep points since my bad start, so that would lead me to believe that I am productive
    I have had a few thanks too - but some of mine were when I posted "I'm going to STFU now". Strange that

11. Thanks to Hightower from:

CHR1S (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I have had a few thanks too - but some of mine were when I posted "I'm going to STFU now". Strange that

Sometimes that is the most productive thing a person can do

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Right, hello all
    I have not had time to fully digest each of the posts in this thread as we have been away at the LFGL conf but just as a heads up this week we will clarify the policy on bad words to allow everyone to understand the words that are currently banned on EduGeek. The biggest issue with coming up with a list is that everyone has a different idea of what is acceptable and what isn't. We hope that our final list will help everyone know what they can and can not get away with but like I say, even though a word may not be on the ban list as such if you use it derogatorily then any word could result in a warning from mods/admins.
    We will be back to more normal operations admin wise on wendesday but we do strive to have a consistent approach to applying rules but it can be hard to firm up policies before the problem has occured. Sadly we can be "on the back foot" as such with policies such as this though but like I say we will be posting a bad list as such to help ensure everyone knows where they are when it comes to posting.
    Although it may not be a nessarily complete list as such we hope that it will minimise issues such as this.

Cheers all
    Will the ban include asterisked out words? What about Internet slang such as "STFU" the meaning of which contains what I imagine will be a banned word? Or are we just talking 'plain and obvious' use of expletives?

Thank Post
    Ill just leave this here -

15. Thanks to CHR1S from:

CAM (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    ***Yawn***

Is this thread still rumbling on, surely people have more important things to worry about. This is a web forum, it forms a tiny little piece of my life as it probably does for most of you - I can't understand what the big issue is people!

17. Thanks to maniac from:

RingOfFlame (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Having gone through the posts, this one I would like to raise attention too

No need for embarrassment on my behalf.

Within my 1st week here I racked up -3 rep points....which was not a good start. Look at me now, a productive member of this community!
    Only -3. I have been in the 100s But now it's green yay!

Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Will the ban include asterisked out words? What about Internet slang such as "STFU" the meaning of which contains what I imagine will be a banned word? Or are we just talking 'plain and obvious' use of expletives?
    Valid point.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    ***Yawn***

Is this thread still rumbling on, surely people have more important things to worry about. This is a web forum, it forms a tiny little piece of my life as it probably does for most of you - I can't understand what the big issue is people!
    I think people do have more important things to worry about, but sweeping the less important things aside isn't always the solution. Questions have been asked, answers need to be given.

I think the easiest answer for you - if you find involvement so tedious - would be to ignore the thread?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Questions have been asked, answers need to be given.

I think the easiest answer for you - if you find involvement so tedious - would be to ignore the thread?
    I don't find it tedious - I find it interesting, but simply because it totally gobsmacks me how much effort people put into something that at the end of the day is totally and utterly pointless - I mean this a forum at the end of the day, that's all it is. We don't pay anything to be here, it doesn't change the course of our lives if a certain word is censored or not, so why does it really matter?

This is possbily the best example yet of making mountains out of molehills.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast