+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Double standards removing the word **** from posts? in General; Originally Posted by contink Groundhog day all over again... Tune in tomorrow, for the same thing!...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Groundhog day all over again...
    Tune in tomorrow, for the same thing!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I did, yesterday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I've got you babe...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    It is not possible to spend time going through all the old posts and removing words which are considered offensive or unneeded on a professional forum, however if an old thread is ressurected and someone reports and instance of a particular word in that thread then it will be looked at.

The occurence that ROF reported today has been dealt with.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    One point. Edugeek is not a democracy. Never has been. This has been pointed out in the past. We have to accept that or find somewhere else to hang out.
    No, I'm sorry - that is completely the wrong attitude to have!

This place exists as a resource for thousands of like-minded individuals in similar roles. It has developed in to a community where we try and help each other - in some cases go out of our way to do so.
    The "ownership" of the site doesn't concern me (which is where this discussion usually goes!) - If Dos_Box ultimately decides to do something one way which I have a huge problem with then yes, it would influence my decision on whether or not to continue using it.

The thing is, and I'm more than willing to be corrected by him, I would guess that Dos_Box doesn't want to make sweeping changes which have a negative impact on what EduGeek has evolved in to. To ensure that this doesn't happen, on largely non-critical issues, it makes sense to have the decency to ask or consult with the community which use (and in some cases support) the product which pays his salary...
    Call it what you will, but that would be more like a democracy than a dictatorship!

6. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

RingOfFlame (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    No, I'm sorry - that is completely the wrong attitude to have!
    M'kay let me stop you right there.
    Didn't say it was my attitude but the what has been pointed out time and time again from the highest level in most of these tiresome threads.

Regardless of what my own opinion is, that's the way it is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is, you can't please everyone all the time. Also, if everything was discussed in community, for every decision, nothing would get done. I've been involved in groups that worked by consensus - and they never got any work done, they just spent all their time discussing policies.

It has been said many times by the top bods that this site is not a democracy, what Dos_Box says, goes. The admins are an extension of his word, and what they say also goes. Mods do their best, under instruction from the above, but they are not infallible.

The way the site is run is right in my view - discussions about policies would turn this site into a place full of bickering polarised debates, where people focus on the running of the site rather than the use of the site for its intended purpose. This is why I dislike threads like this one - this should have been dealt with privately.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

creese (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    The thing is, and I'm more than willing to be corrected by him,
    Dos_Box does not have time to moderate posts, which is why he has moderators. They work on a voluntary basis and I don't know, or need to know, how they are chosen. They do a pretty good job.

With regard to RingOfFlame's complaint. I don't think there's an intention to deliberately target her. If the mods had had enough they'd block the account, it wouldn't be the first time. Others have had rocky starts here and have gone on to be well thought of members of the community. I would name names, but I don't want to embarrass them!

I do think that RingOfFlame does, on occasion, come in a bit too hard in threads. It may not be intentional, but it does rub people up the wrong way and I too have felt that she has shouted at me when it was not warranted. Some people are less willing to let it go and so instantly react badly whenever she posts, I have noticed that too.

@RingOfFlame if you are feeling victimised on your current posting ID, there is always the alternative of creating a new account to turn over a new leaf. You may feel that you shouldn't have to do this, but it may be easier to make a fresh start... and count to 10, then re-read what you have typed before you post!

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

RingOfFlame (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Aside from any issues surrounding the censorship debate, now becoming a democracy debate too, shouldn't we also consider that many of us are in schools which have word filters in place, so using expletives in a post could result in us being unable to view the advice surrounding it. That is surely a more sensible reason to avoid the swear words, and in such instances a mod would be right to remove them.

13. 2 Thanks to enjay:

elsiegee40 (29th March 2010), pwds (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    with regards to the old post's, and/or posts that may have not been picked up, myself and other mods on a late evening when we have not got much to do are doing searches agaist the forum for the words in which we think at the moment are inappropriate and removing/editing them so that we can get as many done as possible. This is something we dont have to do but it helps resolve the question in which you have raised. So to answer your question RoF yes we are doing all we can to get all the posts removed it just takes a bit of time thats all.

As stated in an earlier post by domino, we are currently reviewing the inappropriate word list and it is under heavy discussion and actually has been for a while we are just finishing up some of the last niggles. The reason things like this take some time is because we do actually look at it from all angles so we can get it right rather than giving everyone something that has been knocked up in a few minutes.

We remove the inappropriate language because it is not appropriate for schools, colleges etc or for LEA Filters that are in place that may block edugeek if this kind of content appears, in which case it would cause alot of headache for members who may feel the wrath of this.

Anyhow, We are currently speaking with ZH to try and get a few things in place so that if you do post it by accident or in jest the system will pick it up and not actually post that word, self-moderation should be all that is required though to be honest.

Please bare with us, as said we cannot monitor the forums 24/7 although we do try our best you will probably see at least 1 mod on through out the day but when you consider the amount of posts that appear on here in just ONE day it's not easy which is why we rely on you as members to "report" the post's and then we all get an email and can action it ASAP. Yes again this could take a bit of time, but if a mod is online it's pretty instant.

@Ringofflame - This would of been better to have been brought up in a PM/Email to the Mods/Admins rather than starting up another thread like this. We have said before as we have told other people if you have a problem and wish to find an answer BUT you know it is going to probably cause a big "Ruckus" on the forums then "Message the Admins" or send a mod a PM and we will raise the concern in the Mod Forums. NOTE This is only for questions of concern, anything post related please "Report" the post.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 29th March 2010 at 12:42 PM.

15. Thanks to EduTech from:

mark (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    M'kay let me stop you right there.
    Didn't say it was my attitude but the what has been pointed out time and time again from the highest level in most of these tiresome threads.

Regardless of what my own opinion is, that's the way it is.
    If I offended / wrongly-accused / misinterperated I am sorry.

To clarify and generalise... People who de-value this community, regardless of who they are / how much they contribute / what position they hold should stop and consider why they came here in the first place.

I see nothing wrong with consulting with eachother, having frank discussions on changes that need to be made and having aspirations for the product. It may not be our property but it is our resource and something we put time and effort in to. If that is all so unreasonable or unthinkable then perhaps I am either in the wrong place or just misguided!

Thank Post
    CAn I just put my 2p in..

We should all be very careful with what we put on this site

At the end of the day - this site is used within education environments - so technically any post could be seen by a child as young as 5!

The site is also being looked at by some very high profile companies in this industry, and is being reckognised as a major player in the Education sectors - the last thing we want to be doing is lowering ourselves to some of the other forums out there (TES anyone?)

Think about what you post the same way you would when you are talking in front of kids - would you swear in front of them? No, you wouldn't - so dont type it.

I shall leave it to the Admins and the Mods to decide what goes into any word filter..

18. 2 Thanks to Gatt:

ButterflyMoon (29th March 2010), witch (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time to jump in one last time before heading off to the gym for a sauna and steam (yes ... I have another day off).

I do find it really funny that so many of us work with and operate some severe word filters with little choice to the users ... and we don't give them any choice ... even staff (who are, in spite of what some might think, adults and mature) don't get much (if any) choice ... we do it *to* them ... no democracy ... some debate but not much ...

Amazing how a group such as ourselves would see that use of language that has previously been pointed out as unsuitable (for various reasons ... even if it is the simple fact that it will get caught by filters) even needs to be discussed.

At the moment ... it is a manual job and not as consistent as it could be ... but that is because DB prefers self-moderation as we are all adult / mature / responsible. Perhaps we should just accept the folk are fallible.

20. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

elsiegee40 (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Time to jump in one last time before heading off to the gym for a sauna and steam (yes ... I have another day off).

Thank Post
    So many opinions, so little time!

Its a tough area to police and different people in different countries/areas consider different words more offensive than others. The site is aimed at adults and proffessionals who "should" know the difference between right and wrong and should be given the freedom to use the slightly risque language like ****or ***** (just for ROF lol).

I hear worse on TV daily, even in the playground from the little darlings them selves! So are we going to lose these fringe words for the sake of our filters or are we allowed to express our more stressful feelings with an air of slight controversy?

EDIT - Wow being edited for trying to make a point, why isnt ***** filtered out??
    Last edited by mark; 30th March 2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: language

23. Thanks to CHR1S from:

FN-GM (29th March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast