+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ICT experience? in General; After recently attending an interview for an IT Tech job (unfortunately was unsuccessful), the reason for not getting the job ...
    Thank Post

ICT experience?

After recently attending an interview for an IT Tech job (unfortunately was unsuccessful), the reason for not getting the job was due to the other applicant already having school experience.

So my question is how do you convince the interviewers that you are suitable for the job role just as well as the one that has school experience? because to be brutally honest I have no clue it's almost like a catch 22 situation.

Thank Post
    Demonstrate other skills and experience which the school values that counter-balance the lack of schools experience.

It's also worth saying that just because you didn't get this one doesn't mean you won't get the next one.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moobsuk View Post
    After recently attending an interview for an IT Tech job (unfortunately was unsuccessful), the reason for not getting the job was due to the other applicant already having school experience.

So my question is how do you convince the interviewers that you are suitable for the job role just as well as the one that has school experience? because to be brutally honest I have no clue it's almost like a catch 22 situation.
    Attend the next interview looking harrased, confused, haggard and bewildered. Cringe every time you see a staff member (or hide).

Then lie. All the above would convince them you had worked in a school.

4. 5 Thanks to creese:

Jamman960 (26th March 2010), mattx (26th March 2010), moobsuk (26th March 2010), tech_guy (26th March 2010), tmcd35 (26th March 2010)

Thank Post
    It's relevant experience that most are looking for which could be something like helping out in an environment with children or in some sort of teaching/instructional role with adults.
    You could always try some unpaid experience at a school first of all for even a couple weeks just to show you are keen.
    Good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Attend the next interview looking harrased, confused, haggard and bewildered. Cringe every time you see a staff member (or hide).

Then lie. All the above would convince them you had worked in a school.

hahahaha was feeling a bit bummed out but that has made me smile!

Thank Post
    dont worry so much about it, theres always another chance.

what other jobs experience have you got? i worked in Somerfield from High School and all the way through my University degree, when i attended my interview for where i work now i talked about my ability to handle different situations concerning customers, my friendly manner and general stuff that would help me deal with the day to day run-ins with staff. Of course it also helped that all participants for the role were given a paper based ICT test, i was the only one with 100%

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Be honest. Say something like "I know I've not worked in a school, but I am aware of the differences between school IT and commercial IT - eg every pupil logging on at the same time, need to keep machines locked down against tampering, need to deal with very urgent requests (users can't just have a coffee break or do a bit of filing if the computers don't work)"

After the interview, the panel will go through each candidate. Some will be complete non-starters (<fx>cringes at the memory of some of teh candidates I've seen</fx>) but typically there will be 2-3 people who are pretty good. At this job level, the panel will probably have a check list and they'll tick off or score each item for each candidate. When they get to the bit about experience they should be able to say "well, that guy moobsuk hasn't worked in a school before but he looked like he knew more than the others about what school is actually like so we can tick this box"

Good luck!

Thank Post
    hahahaha was feeling a bit bummed out but that has made me smile!
    Pleased it cheered you up.

I came from the building trade to CAD office to a school in the space of 3 years. I left the school 6 or 7 years ago now. It was a great experience but I wouldn't go back.

Thank Post
    Just for a bit of clarification creese, I am currently (though not for much longer as the company is in administration) working for a multi car dealership, I have worked there for the last 8 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

But I would relish the opportunity to join back in a decent team environment, and I would have thought a school/college environment would be all that.

Thank Post

do you have a day off during the week? if you do it might be worth saying to a local school you would like to volunteer for a day a week or what ever you can. we have a 18 girl do mondays at work. she is at college doing ict course and wants to get into educations ict after leaving.

maybe worth a try if you can spare some time.

AXE
    Thank Post
    If you ever find out the answer to this question, please let me know.

Sadly, even having school experience isn't enough, the job market is very difficult at the moment.
    You're obviously motivated and you're getting interviews, just keep trying. I'm sure you'll get there.

13. Thanks to AXE from:

moobsuk (26th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Just for a bit of clarification creese, I am currently (though not for much longer as the company is in administration) working for a multi car dealership, I have worked there for the last 8 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

But I would relish the opportunity to join back in a decent team environment, and I would have thought a school/college environment would be all that.
    I really do wish you luck. I wouldn't want to put you off any job and I learned a lot from working in the school even if it was a one man team. I work with a good team now in the LA. Unfortunately jobs are hard to come by and there will be competition. Keep trying, one day you will be the person they are looking for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread