+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Nvidia Fermi - GTX 480/470 Launch Day! in General; With the launch of Nvidia's long-awaited/ badly delayed Fermi cards literally just hours away I thought I'd fuel the pre-release ...
    Thank Post

Nvidia Fermi - GTX 480/470 Launch Day!

With the launch of Nvidia's long-awaited/ badly delayed Fermi cards literally just hours away I thought I'd fuel the pre-release hype a bit and start a thread about it. Some of the features sound quite tasty!

Nvidia 3D Surround Vision
    NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround eyes-on, triple the fun -- Engadget

According to benckmarks the top tier GTX480 is set to become the fastest singe GPU card on the market when it's released. The NDA's lifted tomorrow so likely all the usual hardware sites will have reviews/articles on it then.

Personally I'm probably gonna get myself a GTX470 assuming it matches the alledged performance/specs/price.

Anyone else planning on grabbing one on the above cards when they're released?

2. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

mac_shinobi (25th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mugs cards. These are likely to almost bust nVidia, for falling down the same road as 3Dfx did. Underpowered, overhungry and badly designed. Compared to the ATI 5870 they really are dreadful pieces of hardware. What sort of moron designs a card that munches 300w of juice on it's own, has a die size nearly TWICE that of ATI's chip chucking out a hell of a lot more heat - the cooling system on them is a joke.

Sorry, but they are an absolutely laughable bit of hardware that will be avoided by all but fanboys and mugs. The release boards won't even be the spec they're supposed to be because they can't make them reliable enough and chuck out too much heat. The 10% performance increase over the 5870 will be absolutely worthless when you're baking the inside of your case slowly.

It stinks of the Voodoo 5/6 series - remember those?

Thank Post
    LOL, well they're certianly dividing opinion. That's for sure! Most of the pre-release articles have painted a fairly negative picture (overpriced,power-hungry,underpowered,). Having said that most sources seem to suggest that it's going to be on par in terms of performance/pricing to the ATI 5800 series.

I still have faith that Nvidia might just yet pull something pretty special out of the bag though. We'll find out soon enough at any rate!

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    ...the cooling system on them is a joke....
    I thought the cooling system on them looked pretty awesome to be honest

Last edited by flyinghaggis; 25th March 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Performance wise they're slightly ahead of the 5870's - the point is when they're going to raise your electricity bills and probably make you need a stupidly high powered PSU the cost side of it is ridiculous. The tables really have turned in the last year or so, with nVidia lazily renaming it's old models instead of innovating anything, and then this, when ATI in comparison have released the 5xxx series Radeons with power consumption numbers you'd expect from mid-range cards from 2006, reasonably priced, high powered and just does the job.
    Even more of a gap when you consider drivers - theories are abound that ATI and nVidia swapped their code-monkies around, where nV are struggling with poor drivers (even those that physically murder your hardware! ) and still can't manage to handle multiple monitors properly without the use of 3rd party software.

I've long been an nVidia guy, going from the days of the old STB Riva 128's and TNT2 Ultras up to the 8800GT and very happy with nearly all of them. I'm more than aware of the fact that without nVidia, AMD/ATI would have gone bust/been bought out long ago. However, with their recent attempts at "innovation" they're falling down the same road that bust 3Dfx and forced them into a buyout by NV.

Really, really need to be a fool to buy into Fermi.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    still be good to see the review. Will keep an eye out on firing squad !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Hopefully nVidia's new graphics cards aren't going to sound like the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra vacuum cleaners.

http://quietube.com/v.php/http://www...=%2526fmt%3D18

I would rather have a Radeon HD 5870 myself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    gawd I remember those - the FX series were definitely lemons

Thank Post
    Yeah, my friend had one of those in an Alienware PC he bought when they were first released. Certianly lived up to it's nick-name the 'Dust-Buster'

Mind you IIRC Nvidia was outclassed by ATI's equivalent card (Radeon 9700) at the time, which was regarded as one of the best it's ever released, and struggled to match it which was the reason the FX5800 was so half-baked.

That was back in 2002/2003. Is history going to repeat itself.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Yeah, my friend had one of those in an Alienware PC he bought when they were first released. Certianly lived up to it's nick-name the 'Dust-Buster'

Mind you IIRC Nvidia was outclassed by ATI's equivalent card (Radeon 9700) at the time, which was regarded as one of the best it's ever released, and struggled to match it which was the reason the FX5800 was so half-baked.

That was back in 2002/2003. Is history going to repeat itself.....
    Could be wrong here but I remember having the FX5900, if history is going to repeat itself and its going to be a waste of money etc getting the new fermi I may be converted to going with ATI

Thank Post
    I am a Nvidia man, always have been. I really like their drivers as well, it is simple and straightforward. ATI's drivers have never appealed to me.

I think Fermi is going to take the perfomance crown, and it will do great things in GPU computing as well, but the power envelope is a bit worrying. I'm not sure how much longer these companies can keep making such power hungry beasts.

12. Thanks to CraigM from:

mac_shinobi (26th March 2010)

Thank Post
    HEXUS.net - News :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 benchmarked : Page - 1/1

Seems to be quite a bit quicker - just curious for what price though ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Initial price + running costs + reduced lifespan - total cost of ownership will be something near double that of the competing ATI card for a 10% benefit in performance. Monkey talk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nvidia FTW!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Performance is staggering - 480 gives 7FPS more than the 5870 in Farcry - which is nVidia territory!
    Average difference in games is 2-5fps looking at figures from the likes of TPU so far.

300watts for 7fps... no thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Performance is staggering - 480 gives 7FPS more than the 5870 in Farcry - which is nVidia territory!
    Average difference in games is 2-5fps looking at figures from the likes of TPU so far.

300watts for 7fps... no thanks.
    in that case looks like if they can bring the 5870 to the mac pro - I will be getting an ATI, 7fps is not worth the amount of cash they are asking for the 480GTX and thats forgetting about / ignoring the 300 watt psu for the gfx card.

They are having a complete laugh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast