+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Leaving school... in General; ...
    Thank Post

Leaving school...

So i've been working at my school for two years now, and recently I've gotten tired with the awful pay, being treated like a 2nd rate member of staff, lack of management, accountability etc... basically the stuff all of us have to deal with!

So I applied for an ICT technician job at my local borough council. To my utter shock I got an interview. Two weeks time in fact.

All of a sudden I'm absolutely terrified of leaving! I'm worried I've been institutionalized but I can't turn down an extra £300 in the pocket every month..can I? Now it's unlikely I'll get it, i'm sure there's a lot of competition so I'm not too worried.

Would any of you turn down an extra £300 a month for basically the same job your doing? Perhaps adding a 20min drive either way? And not to mention the uncertainty of changing jobs?

Not really been in this position before.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    It sounds like a very good opportunity and I recommend you go for it full steam ahead. If you're undecided about leaving, remember you can always turn any job offer down. When I interviewed for my current job I wasn't sure if I actually wanted it or not, and when they called to offer it to me I asked them if I could think about it overnight, as I still hadn't made my mind up. I ended up taking it and it was a great move in the end.

Thank Post
    Yep - I'd turn it down potentially if that was all I was going for. I have done in the past in fact. Sometimes it's true to say there is more to life than money.

It would depend on a range of things to me
    1) How unhappy I was in my current post
    2) What opportunities exist in the new post for development career progression etc
    3) Would I be any happier overall

For me (and I'm very lucky where I work) I love the variety of school life, not just in IT terms but the drama, the residentials, working with the kids etc and I know somewhere like a council would bore me to death. It really depends on the whole package IMHO not just the money.

When I was contemplating a move once a good friend said to consider if I was running away from something or running towards something cos if all you're doing is running away from something chances are it might not be a whole lot better. If it's something you really want to do and you're runnning towards it then it will probably work out ok.

Just my 2p worth you understand.

Thank Post
    The problem is my wage. I live on my own, which means rent, bills, car etc... all makes me incredibly poor.

I think I'm only about £30 a week better off than being on jobseekers!

So really, it's all about money. That £300 will make the difference between me being poor and relatively comfortable.

As for career prospects I'm sure there would be more than I'm currently offered. ie. None.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Go for it, you’ll only wonder –WHAT IF- later on

Thank Post
    How much extra £££ would you spend on the 20 mins each way, every day...

You may find monies wise your no better off... but maybe better career prospects. Go for the interview see if you like the place/people/benifits and then consider if you would actually take it or not.

Even if you don't you get the job it will show your current employers that if you don't get treated right you are prepered to leave.

p.s I left the school (my first 'proper' full time job) after 2 years, and went to my current employers.. Felt pretty nervous when I walked in, but I haven't regreted it yet.....
    Last edited by mossj; 24th March 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Would any of you turn down an extra £300 a month for basically the same job your doing? Perhaps adding a 20min drive either way? And not to mention the uncertainty of changing jobs?

Not really been in this position before.
    i do have that fear of the unknown, even when considering applying for jobs which pay far more than i'm currently earning.....which seems strange to me. As i've not even been asked for interview sometimes and already i'm suddenly stressing about what i'd do if they offered me this job that hundreds have probably applied for.

i think it's because i'm reasonably comfortably off where i am. Don't have to travel much, better than decent pay, and the job duties are agreeable.

i'm perhaps too much in a comfort zone. I definitely think you can get into that position if your not careful. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at an extra 300 quid a month, but it would have to be atleast that to make me think about leaving, and even then i might feel where i could be moving on to might not be worth the pay increase.

you can progress careerwise by moving around organsiations, some people have progressed by moving in and out of different industries.....so i certinaly wouldn't consider career prospects within the org your applying to as the be all and end all. The experience you can gain merely from doing the job you applied for for a couple of years could allow you to progress to higher pay in a different org subsequently. Plus there's a few hundred extra quid in take home pay to make you feel less like a pauper.

Thank Post
    Go for if only for the interview experience. You may get there and find it is exactly what your looking for and they think you are who they want. It is a win win situation go enjoy the interview and see what they offer. Good luck it is all good

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    The most important thing is the job - initially don't consider the money. Does the job look interesting? HONESTLY do you think you could do it?
    If the answers are YES then go for the interview.
    I changed jobs last year and I was terrified at first, but it was worth it - and that was for no more money!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The most important thing is the job - initially don't consider the money. Does the job look interesting? HONESTLY do you think you could do it?
    If the answers are YES then go for the interview.
    What witch said

Go for it and if you like the sound of the job, don't let your entirely natural fear of change put you off!

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Good advice, thanks all.

We shall see how it goes on the day

If I don't get it I think it'll still spur me on to keep looking!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it, mate. Best of luck on the day.

Thank Post
    Go for it, for £300 its worth that extra 20 minutes in the car.

rad
    Thank Post
    @Crispin - If I am right, would that be Maldon BC? If so I went for a job interview there years ago for a similar role. Can't remember much about what the job involved but do remember its a position with 5 other people.

If you want more info PM me.

Thank Post

Cool

Go for it mate - the doubts are only natural... and at least in the BC you may have progression and be able to possibly 'transfer' to other council depts later if you so wished.

Az

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast