+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Diesel cars with DPF are NOT good town cars in General; Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx Years ago, diesels were simple and reliable. I don't think that's the case anymore. Frequently Asked ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Years ago, diesels were simple and reliable. I don't think that's the case anymore.

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John
    Depends what you mean by "years ago". We have had diesels since about 2000 and have had very few problems. The cars range from P reg through 55 to 10 so they span quite a few years. The oldest had new glow plugs once in its lifetime but that is about all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Revival of an old topic here this came up as a similar thread to the old cars one and funny enough this week I've been looking at a few cars mainly 170PD and CD TDI engines which all come with DPF's and researching into the cars I've found so many people complaining about DPF issues, mixed reports on the rumor of long driving makes a difference as the DPF re-gen could kick in after the long drive and stupid pricing from dealers to simply force charge. Near half of these reports ended up being false sensors sticking at a % and stopping the DPF cycle finishing.

It looks like more recently alot of garages offer DPF removal service, completely cutting out the internals of the DPF and removing it from the ECU, others offer a bypass pipe to replace the DPF section of the exhaust. Both don't affect MOT's and providing you don't have heavy remaps shouldn't cause smoking
    This is odd. I'm now on my third Focus 2.0TDCi in 8 years. Each one has been brand new and I've done about 10,000 miles per year, at least half of which is short journeys around town. I drive economically and typically get just under 50MPG, and I keep the cars for around 3 years.

I have never encountered this problem. I'm sure the Focus must come with a DPF.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    This is odd. I'm now on my third Focus 2.0TDCi in 8 years. Each one has been brand new and I've done about 10,000 miles per year, at least half of which is short journeys around town. I drive economically and typically get just under 50MPG, and I keep the cars for around 3 years.

I have never encountered this problem. I'm sure the Focus must come with a DPF.
    You're running your cars like a fleet does. Again, from Honest John
    Diesels with particulate filters, dual mass flywheels and exhaust gas recirculation valves are best avoided. They only make sense for fleets that run them to 60,000 miles over two to three years on minimum maintenance, then sell them to the general public before any problems occur.

I've had an old-school diesel of one sort or another since the early '90s and they've been great to run - simple and reliable. My current van is a 2000 (Y plate) which has done 156k without a problem, but it's an old fashioned, non-turbo, unrefined old boat. I intend to keep it as long as possible!

Technical stuff about the DPF systems:
    Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

And if you're not convinced...
    The biggest mistake of all is to buy a high mileage 3-year-old ex-fleet diesel car on the false assumption that diesel engines are robust enough to take the mileage and continue to offer fuel economy advantages. All too often, dual mass flywheels, diesel particulate filters, EGRs and turbos fail, potentially landing the car buyer with bills greater than the vale of the car.
    The Which? study also considered reliability, taking information directly from the 2012 Which? Car Survey, which found that petrol cars are generally more reliable than diesels – both in the first three years of their life (the typical warranty period), and even more so between four and eight years-old.
    Which? Confirms Hidden Costs of Running Diesel Cars | Motoring News | Honest John

But nobody has a crystal ball (that works), so you can only act on advice. Take it or leave it.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 31st August 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Diesels have their place, especially if you are up and down the motorway all day. However, around town, my comfy old 1999 3 litre Accord Coupe returns only slightly less fuel consumption than my previous MG ZT 2 litre diesel (which was running perfectly healthy

Large petrol engines tend to warm up extremely quickly and are efficient within minutes. The diesel was usually just getting to operating temp when I was pulling into the car park at work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    You're running your cars like a fleet does. Again, from Honest John
    Not really. I do change regularly, but I'm not doing fleet mileage and I'm doing an awful lot of around-town-pootling. Not saying the DPF stuff is wrong but it just doesn't gel with my experience.

Thank Post
    I got a 1.9 non turbo'd 306.

Great round town and brill on mways.

Pain in the ass to start in the morning but fun to drive.

Old is better imo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Pain in the ass to start in the morning but fun to drive.
    Have you tried cleaning or replacing your glow plug relay? Also check and clean and protect all earth points, especially the ones hidden under the battery tray.

Do that and fit a new battery if its over 3 years old and starting should be a doddle!

Also, change your fuel filter every 6000 miles. They're only a few quid from Euro Car Parts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234