+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Diesel cars with DPF are NOT good town cars in General; Originally Posted by CHR1S Ahh right, I just had a quick search and found that there is quite an infrastructure ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Ahh right, I just had a quick search and found that there is quite an infrastructure in place for this AdBlue stuff already.

Air1 - AdBlue Filling Stations

Do you just mix it with your diesle in the tank?
    no, the Urea is held seperately and injetced. It only works if you have a SCR compliant vehicle. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction]Selective catalytic reduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

2. Thanks to Gonk from:

CHR1S (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Eek, my folks are looking at getting a Citroen HDi on motobility. There pressent motability car has done less then 20k in 3 years. I think I'll have to do some digging.
    My mums got an 04 C3 1.4 hdi, brilliant little car - i'm actually looking at upgrading from my C1 1.0l to a new style C3 1.4 diesel or petrol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    no, the Urea is held seperately and injetced. It only works if you have a SCR compliant vehicle. Selective catalytic reduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quite interesting reading, especially the bit about why so much heat is needed to break the nitrogen bonds and obviously the need for the catalyst. Seems its exactly the same issue as with the particulate filter in which it needs the high temperatures to work.

Thank Post
    @CHR1S:

Yeah, the chemical reaction needs a lot of energy put in to get it to go as it were, however, its possible, as DAF have achieved it at a sensible cost.

The only reason they don't have the SCR system on cars is:

Where to put the urea tank?
    Will Joe Public pay the money to refill the urea tank?
    Can it be refiled as a service operation - i.e refill at each service? (service interval of 15 - 20k miles on a Citroen petrol these days, so I'm informed)
    Can enough be stored on the car to get it from one service to the next?

everyone knows that it will help if we have a SCR system, the problem as always is will we pay for it and is it a long term solution?

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Yep it sure is

@fafster: is it the 1.5 DI-D? the 1.5 is a Mercedes Benz unit that was used in the A-Class/Smart range. There's a lot of scope for rermapping and modding from what I recall.
    Yeah, 1.5 MB engine. The colt can take a lot of Lancer kit, too, apparently.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have an RX8, best not talk about fuel economy then I thinks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have an RX8, best not talk about fuel economy then I thinks
    Or oil economy as a matter of fact

9. Thanks to ahuxham from:

CHR1S (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    I had an RX-8 for a while.

They're great fun but as ZH says 23mpg is a little low!!

Thank Post
    Beat me to it ahuxham! lol

Thank Post
    For around £700-800 you can get the DPF removed. If you work out how much extra fuel you use to clear the DPF over the time you intend to own the car it may pay for itself.

On some cars - the removal of the DPF actually improves performance and mpg. The DPF is not a legal requirement.

Thank Post
    I've got a 58 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi and how that works is an element in the DPF - if the exhaust gets hot enough it sorts itself out, if it gets to 500 miles without it doing it, at the 500 mile point, the element kicks in and causes regeneration.

Thank Post
    The problem with any DPF regeneration process is it takes time, I am told 10-20 minutes depending upon engine speed; if the ECU decides it's time for a regeneration 30 seconds before you arrive at your destination it will fail. If your next few journeys after that are short trips with the system never getting enough time to clear the filter you can be easily caught out as the ECU counts down to turning on limp-home mode & then you are into dealer regeneration, I have seen sums of up to £200 mentioned for the dealer to regenerate the filter & many treat it as driver error & refuse to perform regeneration under warranty without a fight.

It looks like I cannot risk using 6th gear on my car for my normal commute anymore. Ridiculous!

Someone should take Nissan to task with the advertising standards authority over their 'urbanproof' Quashqui ads.... clearly not applicable to their 2.0 diesel versions
    Last edited by broc; 24th March 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    The problem with any DPF regeneration process is it takes time, I am told 10-20 minutes depending upon engine speed; if the ECU decides it's time for a regeneration 30 seconds before you arrive at your destination it will fail. If your next few journeys after that are short trips with the system never getting enough time to clear the filter you can be easily caught out as the ECU counts down to turning on limp-home mode & then you are into dealer regeneration, I have seen sums of up to £200 mentioned for the dealer to regenerate the filter & many treat it as driver error & refuse to perform regeneration under warranty without a fight.

It looks like I cannot risk using 6th gear on my car for my normal commute anymore. Ridiculous!

Someone should take Nissan to task with the advertising standards authority over their 'urbanproof' Quashqui ads.... clearly not applicable to their 2.0 diesel versions
    Why not do that? Then when you get correspondence and the dealer/garage aren't doing anything about it under warranty, show them the correspondence and add them to future mailings to trading standards, showing the affect of the false advertising and the need to spend more money on something that should work, and was advertised as working.

We're you made aware during sales, or did the manuals state the DPF function doesn't work as advised when using it for short trips? If not, there is clearly a case, and guaranteed, if spoken to the dealer/garage about it, they wont quibble about getting it fixed without cost

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Revival of an old topic here this came up as a similar thread to the old cars one and funny enough this week I've been looking at a few cars mainly 170PD and CD TDI engines which all come with DPF's and researching into the cars I've found so many people complaining about DPF issues, mixed reports on the rumor of long driving makes a difference as the DPF re-gen could kick in after the long drive and stupid pricing from dealers to simply force charge. Near half of these reports ended up being false sensors sticking at a % and stopping the DPF cycle finishing.

It looks like more recently alot of garages offer DPF removal service, completely cutting out the internals of the DPF and removing it from the ECU, others offer a bypass pipe to replace the DPF section of the exhaust. Both don't affect MOT's and providing you don't have heavy remaps shouldn't cause smoking

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Years ago, diesels were simple and reliable. I don't think that's the case anymore.

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast