+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Diesel cars with DPF are NOT good town cars in General; Originally Posted by theeldergeek I Personally, I prefer diesels over petrol, just something about them that I like the feel ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I
    Personally, I prefer diesels over petrol, just something about them that I like the feel of. I can't imagine me in a 1.1 Fiesta or similar, I would hate it. I still think pound for pound, I get better economy from my car with the added bonus of it being a 'performance' car to drive, kick ass stereo, good looks and decent spec.

Mid life crisis anyone?
    I completely agree. I have a Volvo V70 D5 and it still amazes me all the time - really fantastic performance (Yes yes I know it's never going to be a "sports" car, but it still pulls so strongly even up to 70 even 71 ahem mph!). Comfy, well equipped, quick - and still rarely see less than 35mpg, and that's only when I'm in a serious hurry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    09 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 dCi, 173bhp.... its basically a Renault engine as are most Nissan diesels I believe.
    Yeah, Nissan source their diesels from Renault. It was commented upon at various meetings that I atteneded that the diesel in Fance has different addatives in it so the clogging wasn't an issue per se. As a result, French manufacturers didn't see the need to have additional heating for the DPF.

Lots of truck manufacturers (DAF for one) have a small tank of Urea [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea]Urea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] fitted to the truck. the urea is mixed with the diesel and injected to the cylinder for combustion to produce a cleaner burn, hence the big 9.2 Litre diesel they have is Euro V compliant.

The draw back is you have to refil the tank with urea something like every 16,000Km/10,000 miles as Service intervals are 100,000Km/62,000 Miles.

@SC-UK. I was in the workshop when they had to regenerate the DPF on a Jaguar XJ Diesel. It melted the tarmac 3 meters behine the car with the heat. The flames were impressive too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwba View Post
    I recently too bought a diesel car for economy but i dont seem to get it, im averaging about 40mpg where as my friend at the same time bought a 2 litre petrol bmw who is getting 50mpg on causal drives???

back to petrol for me as well, specially with it going to end up about 1.40 a litre again!
    Your mate is lying. There's no way that he's getting 50mpg in a 2 litre petrol, unless it's downhill the whole way.

And what diesel car do you have? You should have checked the car's figures before buying it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Urea [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea]Urea - Wikipedia,
    Wait, is Urea what I think it is?

Will there be a new industry in take the piss.

Thank Post

Lots of truck manufacturers (DAF for one) have a small tank of Urea Urea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia fitted to the truck. the urea is mixed with the diesel and injected to the cylinder for combustion to produce a cleaner burn, hence the big 9.2 Litre diesel they have is Euro V compliant.

The draw back is you have to refil the tank with urea something like every 16,000Km/10,000 miles as Service intervals are 100,000Km/62,000 Miles.
    Isnt that the same as bluemotion and bluetec and all the other bluename gubbins that makers do now?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Your mate is lying. There's no way that he's getting 50mpg in a 2 litre petrol, unless it's downhill the whole way.
    It "could" get 50mpg, with the efficient dynamics pack and a very very light foot. I say its rubbish tho too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    I completely agree. I have a Volvo V70 D5 and it still amazes me all the time - really fantastic performance (Yes yes I know it's never going to be a "sports" car, but it still pulls so strongly even up to 70 even 71 ahem mph!). Comfy, well equipped, quick - and still rarely see less than 35mpg, and that's only when I'm in a serious hurry.
    I have a Mitsubishi Colt Di-D. It's only got 95 bhp, but then it only weighs 930Kg, so that's over 100bhp per ton. I could have the ECU remapped for about 300, which would take it up to 125bhp. That's 0-60mph in under eight seconds.

My daily commute tends to balance out at around 50mpg. For the drive to work in the morning, I'm in economy mode (60mpg). For the drive home I'm in race mode (40mpg)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Wait, is Urea what I think it is?

Will there be a new industry in take the piss.
    Yep it sure is

@fafster: is it the 1.5 DI-D? the 1.5 is a Mercedes Benz unit that was used in the A-Class/Smart range. There's a lot of scope for rermapping and modding from what I recall.
    Last edited by Gonk; 23rd March 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Isnt that the same as bluemotion and bluetec and all the other bluename gubbins that makers do now?
    Bluemotion and Bluetec are aerodynamic packages, narrow tyres and modified injection/combustion techs. The Urea idea is only being applied in trucks atm, most car manufacturers are persuing the electric/hybrid route rather than combustion techs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    It "could" get 50mpg, with the efficient dynamics pack and a very very light foot. I say its rubbish tho too
    Agreed with this, it sounds like petrol car confirmation bias! I think he's getting his sums wrong.

Thank Post

And what diesel car do you have? You should have checked the car's figures before buying it.
    48.2 MPG here 1.6 Petrol, and very happy to use the loud stick

Thank Post
    Averaging 48.9MPG at the moment, Seat Leon Cupra TDi, and that's not exactly hanging about, so much better than my Ford Puma that got 35ish MPG when I drove like a nun.

I like Diesels, I like the torque, the economy and the easy cruising power. It'll take a lot to get me back to petrol.

Thank Post
    My petrol car dreams of 30mpg, that's 2.0. Heavy driving, 10mpg isn't difficult, and it's running properly! My old battered diesel runaround gets 45mpg, my girlfriend's 1.2 petrol gets 30mpg, slightly lighter driving style. I wouldn't run a petrol car as a daily on my wages

Thank Post
    Bluemotion and Bluetec are aerodynamic packages, narrow tyres and modified injection/combustion techs. The Urea idea is only being applied in trucks atm, most car manufacturers are persuing the electric/hybrid route rather than combustion techs.
    Ahh right, I just had a quick search and found that there is quite an infrastructure in place for this AdBlue stuff already.

Air1 - AdBlue Filling Stations

Do you just mix it with your diesle in the tank?

Thank Post
    I have a Mitsubishi Colt Di-D. It's only got 95 bhp, but then it only weighs 930Kg, so that's over 100bhp per ton.
    Hmm... my X-Trail tips the scales at 1525kg & at 173bhp that equates to 115 bhp per ton

I must admit I like the torque of diesel engines too, and being able to drive all 4 wheels can be handy at times.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast