speckytecky (21st March 2010)
Link: What’s that eggy smell in the server room? | PC Pro blog
Joking aside has anyone actually had this happen to a UPS?
Although, we had a Parents Evening the previous day and assumed that the Head of ICT had been cooking one of his usual smelly meals in the Microwave (however, said Microwave is usually known for amplifying the smells of food cooked in it) and we were about ready to rile him over it.
Once we'd opened all the doors and windows and waited about an hour, we realised that it couldn't be that, and set to try and find the source of the smell. It was discussed that it did smell a bit like an electronic burning smell so I started sniffing around our IT equipment. I did find though that while sniffing around, it was difficult to find the source of the smell as it seemed as strong no matter where I sniffed, so ended up leaving it for a few hours hoping that the smell would dissipate some more while we got on with some work.
Eventually, while fiddling with the NM's telephone (can't remember why though,) I realised that his UPS - an APC Smart-UPS 700 for those who are curious - was forcing out quite considerably more heat than mine and when I put my hand on it, I was surprised it hadn't caught fire by now as it was probably well over 60°C.
At the point of disconnecting and moving it to a more ventilated area (which we did with a towel as it was so hot) I did manage to get the batteries out (had to wait an hour and half for the UPS and batteries to cool down enough to touch them) which were literally bursting at the seams and looked as if it might have reached the point where it could have exploded.
Knowing what we know now, if a smell occurs like that again, I think we would be able to diagnose the problem before it ever escalates to a critical point like this one did. What I don't understand though is if APC (and other manufacturers probably) know that batteries can get like this and even potentially explode, why there isn't something like a temperature sensor (separate from a Management card) that detects that the batteries are getting too hot and shut the unit down? However, seeing as the UPS is about 6 or 7 years old, it may not have been fitted with such a failsafe and maybe newer ones are but I don't know for sure.
Yep. Took ages to work out what is was. The UPS was red hot. Luckly it was just powering a switch.
Thanks for that. I'm on my own in my little office and if I need to let rip, I do. A couple of times, someone has come in when the air is still a little rank. I now have an excuse
Doh, I don't have a UPS in there.
We had this in my last place! i wondered what the hell it was!!............it was the UPS
DaveP (21st March 2010)
Be careful, some of the gasses released when Lead Acid batteries, such as those in UPS systems, are malfunctioning or overcharged can be quite poisonous.
The Batteries used in UPS systems should be sealed, so if it's producing a sulphurous smell then it's most likely got a small leak somewhere and should be changed ASAP.
Actually got a bad batch of APC 1u UPS for some of the comms cabs. Thankfully there were all basically DOA, so at least we didn't smell up the school! Just kill a few braincells by the sound of it.
Got to love this comment from that article:
Someone off here!?Mike Says:
March 20th, 2010 at 9:51 pm
You should be in our server room – some idiot plumbed a sani flow into it – when its left over a hot weekend you have to gag just to get the tape out of the drive!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)