+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Hillingdon Tories Block £150 million Investment For Local Schools in General; Originally Posted by tech_guy I think a hung parliament wouldn't be a bad thing. Certainly not for the Building and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I think a hung parliament wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Certainly not for the Building and Funeral trades....

Thank Post
    @mattx:

Thanks for the post. I'm an NM at a school in the south of the borough (Hillingdon) which was going to be directly affected by the BSF programme.

I have mixed feelings about the news. Although the programme itself seemed flawed it represented a real opportunity at ICT investment in schools that badly need it. If it is simply a case of the Tories saving cash then so be it. My concern is that it may not end there. If (as the article says) they were prepeared to close a school in 2008 then what is to stop them attempting to do so again?

It's going to be an ineteresting year ahead...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    @mattx:

Thanks for the post. I'm an NM at a school in the south of the borough (Hillingdon) which was going to be directly affected by the BSF programme.

I have mixed feelings about the news. Although the programme itself seemed flawed it represented a real opportunity at ICT investment in schools that badly need it. If it is simply a case of the Tories saving cash then so be it. My concern is that it may not end there. If (as the article says) they were prepeared to close a school in 2008 then what is to stop them attempting to do so again?

It's going to be an ineteresting year ahead...

The tactics Puddifoot has adopted to stop this investment is quite sickening to say the least. And for John Mc do have to use the Freedom Of Information Act in order to obtain some of the documentation just shows the lenghts Puddifoot and his cronies will do to cover their tracks.
    Like I have said, I am not a huge fan of the amount of ICT within schools these days but I am in favor of investment when it comes to education.
    I've sent letters to both John Randall and my ward clls asking if they support Puddifoot's decision and if they do - why ?
    Not sure what school to be closed was - the only ones I was aware of was Northwood [ just down the road from the school in which I work ] and Mellow Lane.
    Good luck with what ever happens though.

Thank Post
    @Bossman

Good post. Although I'd like to think this news is part of a fightback against Labour's clueless march towards bankrupting the country I'm sure the Conservative's have their own selfish agenda.

At least it's a start.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 'report' is by a Labour MP complaining that the ruling Conservatives are to cancel a BSF project, even though the Conservatives claim it is just being postponed until after the election. In short it is political tit-for-tat, but what is important to note is the 'delayed until after the election comment' as no party is going to lay out it's cards fully until after this. Any revelation that any group, project, public spending area (NHS, education etc) is to be cut will hit whatever party in the ballot box. My guess is that whoever wins will be makign severe cuts, and they will have to, there is NO money left...at all. We are in for some pretty tough medicine in the next few years, and all that is left is to see wether it it to be red medicine or blue medicine. Either way it's going to taste nasty.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 22nd March 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    My guess is that whoever wins will be makign severe cuts, and they will have to, there is NO money left...at all. We are in for some pretty tough medicine in the next few years, and all that is left is to see wether it it to be red medicine or blue medicine. Either way it's going to taste nasty.
    that is my suspicion also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The 'report' is by a Labour MP complaining that the ruling Conservatives are to cancel a BSF project, even though the Conservatives claim it is just being postponed until after the election. In short it is political tit-for-tat, but what is important to note is the 'delayed until after the election comment' as no party is going to lay out it's cards fully until after this. Any revelation that any group, project, public spending area (NHS, education etc) is to be cut will hit whatever party in the ballot box. My guess is that whoever wins will be makign severe cuts, and they will have to, there is NO money left...at all. We are in for some pretty tough medicine in the next few years, and all that is left is to see wether it it to be red medicine or blue medicine. Either way it's going to taste nasty.
    You obviously don't know John Mcdonnell Dos_Box - on this sort of agenda party policitcs is washed aside for everyone understands investment in education is vital - be it BSF or anything else. I very much doubt you know or understand anything about the desperate requirements for investment in some of the Hayes Schools, and other aspects in which clearly the Hillingdon Tories are blocking investment in areas in which need modernization. All 3 parties work well when it comes to the blocking of the third runway at Heathrow but when it comes to this as usual the Puddifoot likes to point score, and this time playing with children's education to do so. The man has no moral values.

Thank Post
    @mattx

I still haven't seen this reported in the local press (online at least) or any comment on John McDonnell's website. Are you able to verify the source of the document is true? If so, I'm sure it'll come out in the next few days but I was wondering why it had not yet been covered as it is a story of huge local relevance.

Thanks

Thank Post
    @mattx

I still haven't seen this reported in the local press (online at least) or any comment on John McDonnell's website. Are you able to verify the source of the document is true? If so, I'm sure it'll come out in the next few days but I was wondering why it had not yet been covered as it is a story of huge local relevance.

Thanks
    I too have noticed this, and in fact I got a reply from John Randall stating he was not aware so I have sent him the relevant documents I have received too.
    The local rag normally runs a week behind so I doubt anything will be in there tomorrow, however there may be something in there next week.
    If I get any updates I'll let you know.

Thank Post
    @mattx

Thanks
    A bit of an update for you Cactus.

This evening there was a Education Policy Overview Meeting and the Chair of the Education Policy Overview Committee refused a request of an update on BSF and would only say that the Leader of the Council had told her that the Policy has not changed, however there was no denial of the delay to the policy being implemented.
    The Attached PDF is a letter that is going to be given out to parents of primary schools in Hayes over the next couple of days.
    When I get some more info I'll let you know.
    See you at the demonstartion in Hayes on Saturday 3rd April ? ;-)

I understand many members concerns regarding BSF [ the ICT side ] but some schools really need investment around here - a Do NOT Delay Hillingdon's Building Schools for the Future Programme petition has been setup. Spread the word !!

http://www.saveourschools.org.uk/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hillingdon Tories Block £150 million Investment For Local Schools-bsf_100323-1.pdf  
    Last edited by mattx; 23rd March 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks. Looks like it'll be a waiting game then. If the Tories are true to their word it'll happen but later than currently planned and hopefully with a huge reduction in those obscene consultancy fees of £370,000 a quarter.

Thank Post
    Thanks. Looks like it'll be a waiting game then. If the Tories are true to their word it'll happen but later than currently planned and hopefully with a huge reduction in those obscene consultancy fees of £370,000 a quarter.
    The fees are obscene I agree, [ sort of along the lines of how much some of the top Cllrs earn ] - however, it will cost more in the long run to halt it now, and then re-start it again. Oh well, it's nothing new from the council.

Thank Post
    wait until you find out how little of the BSF ICT money gets spent on equipment to go in the classrooms

Thank Post
    Looking at the figures of how much has been spent so far on BSF and how much has been delivered (or not) it may make sense to re-evaluate how the scheme is implemented.

I agree that modernisation needs to happen but the way it is happening is clearly not working and the money that's left will run out way before the scheme is complete unless costs are driven down.

I don't care who does it (Labour of Conservatives) but whoever is in charge will need to make a shrinking budget go further.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast