Poll: Do you send IT Support newsletters?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you send IT Support newsletters? in General; Just wondering how many of you send IT Support newsletters to school staff to let them know what's going on ...

Thank Post

Do you send IT Support newsletters?

Just wondering how many of you send IT Support newsletters to school staff to let them know what's going on etc, and if so, how often and do you find this worthwhile doing?

Edit: If you answered yes then do you send it within an email (HTML) or as a PDF attachment?

Thank Post
    Strange you should mention this. We're currently getting our newly started apprentice to mock up some ideas for an IT bulletin.

We're thinking things like:

Top Tips
    Recent Changes
    Training opportunities
    Maintenance schedules

We were actually considering using paper as some staff are more likely to actually read it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I make small posters to hang around the school with shocking propaganda instead, stuff like "You Can Check Your Email From Home Like This" or our school Virus checkers warnings look like this "{cue giant picture of AV screenshot}". This seems to get the important messages across if only by subliminal messaging.

Our staff get plenty of email and paper thrown at them already but wallpaper the common areas with appropriate propaganda and they seem to absorb it. At least in small doses.

Thank Post
    I'm thinking that there will be people that won't read it, but that is their choice. It's a useful way of getting messages out there and is a bit more interesting than an email/helpdesk notice.

I am also not suggesting that this would be a daily thing; monthly would suffice I think.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we only send out major announcements via mass email to all staff.. Like, server downtime, policies changing etc, shutdownertron deployment, etc..

Not a chatty hi this is what we did this week type email.

Thank Post
    we did this at my pervious school, it a was monthly ICT bulletin that went out with the normal staff briefing and it went down really well with staff who could see what we were doing, developments, info and that sort of thing.
    I would like to start it here but with only two of us havenít enough time.

Thank Post
    I post items in our E-staffroom 'notice board' on our Learning Gateway.... I don't think many people bother to read them though

We do send emails to all staff for other things too; they get ignored as well.

Thank Post
    Nope. It won't get read. We use small, bite-sized chunks on the noticeboard in staffroom. Important stuff is communicated orally at morning briefings.

I do ensure $bosses know when we're being particularly awesome though and $successful_projects get announced at briefings.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I write them once a term to highlight new programs or major changes in policy.

I don't think anyone reads them though, but it's a box ticked for the ICT Mark!

Thank Post
    No, like others I send out a short email if itís something major. Sometimes mostly when its last minute I go into morning briefings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,499 Posts
    I have a board in the staff room that I use and I invade the staff meetings if it's important.

All newsletter attachments and parent mails sent out here go in pdf format.

Thank Post
    This is something we used to do at my last school, and was well appreciated by staff as the majority enjoy being kept in the loop.

Ours took the form of an "IT Update" and we sent it out on a half term basis on the first day back after the shutdown. The Update would normally be outlining the work done during the shutdown period, as well as any work that would likely be carried out during the next half term.

It's something I am going to try and implement at my current school, as communication between us as a department and the rest of the school is poor to say the least.

Thank Post
    Being that no-one reads the vitally important emails we send out about downtime etc ("you never told me the network would be down") - no, it would be pointless

There are regular emails about large changes to the network or software, but again I doubt many read them

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @all:

used to inform staff all the time of changes but as they don't see the actual events happening and as I try to make it as seamless as possible the staff don't seem too interested only when they themselves want something does it become a priority.

I am looking at running a presentation to put over how complex networks have become and how the end user is impacted by changes to that infrastructure (or not) and all the transparency behind the scenes.

Don't want to bore them so will have to add a little comedy into it without upsetting the little darlings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Just print Chris's article off and show them that, its aimed at the right level so there is a good chance they will understand it

I do find diagrams help though, my diagram of what Virtualisation is and how it works was a simple HP Server with cubes with Windows sat on top of it and it seemed to get the message across nicely

I don't have time to do one, we thought about making it a half termly one instead but then still never had the time, may get my techy to look at doing it, but all the things we do in the main at present are behind the scenes so there not as obvious to them any more, they wouldn't get excited over HP Proliants, Sun SANs and Fibre Optics really would they?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast