+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Do you keep up with technology? in General; Keep up with it, just dont purchase it. Probably the only things I have that are cutting edge is my ...

Thank Post
    Keep up with it, just dont purchase it.
    Probably the only things I have that are cutting edge is my PS3 and one of those WD Live boxes for playing HD movies - on a 20" samsung LCD that I only bought cus I needed something small

Everything else Ive got isnt particularly up to date, I still use a 5/6 year old laptop (though do have a newer work one) and my Hi-fi is comprised of old equipment that cost me virtually nothing. Phone is a few years old. iPod is 6 years old

Lack of money, since I'd rather save it for travelling, not so bothered about spending it on tech, and also the green aspect, if something still works, why replace?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @all:

I liken myself to Bill Gates, as everyone knows he has all the latest gadgets you could shake a stick at what with the mood sensors and voice activated hardware (TV 102" 3D OLCD, super surround sound technology etc) the only difference between me and him is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ......... he has it and I don't hehe!!

Always like to keep up with the latest technology even if it is just window shopping

Thank Post
    I like gadgets, I just don't have the money to spend as I'd like to.

42" Plasma
    Sky HD box
    LG Home cinema
    Wii
    15" LCD TV in bedroom with
    Sky + box
    Philips DVD player.

2 old PCswith 17" TFTs (one is about to become WHS to use with ... )
    Wireless D-Link media streamer.
    NAS box
    oldish XP laptop (does what I need it to though)
    old XP laptop for the Mrs (on the way out)
    Newish 10" laptop for me with Win 7
    Newish laptop for her with Win 7 (on the way in)
    CAT 5 to most rooms

Sony Ericsson C905 phone.
    Canon Sureshot digicam with underwater housing.

Two 7 year old Westies that provide more entertainment than all of the above put together.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At the minute my living rooms technology is not bad, Although I've only just gto it like that and it will stay like it is for a least 10 years or until something breaks!

I had to buy a new tele and PC this years due to breakages, but the tele was a 15yr old hand-me-down from my parents when I moved in, and the PC was 8 years old! Buy the time I'd bought those and a new stereo (why it was needed it below - not my choice!) everything looks tip top.

As other people have said, the only thing I couldn't live without now is my iPod - it's more my organiser than anything!

The other rooms all have CRT tele's and the like - as everyone else notes, why replace them when they work adequately! The massive mid 90's stereo I have has been relegated to the bedroom (it's apparently 'ugly').

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    OT: I didn't see Avatar in 3D. Does the extra dimension enhance the experience enough to detract from the poor script, poor story and poor alien animations? The film was way overrated IMO and only the background animation made up for it. But then maybe I should not falling asleep through it in 3D?
    Thats my argument about it too, which few people seem to get. If its a poor film in 2d, how does 3d make it a good film?
    Im not against 3d (in the cinema at least, not interested in the slightest at home) but Im not paying more to watch average/poor films that I wouldnt watch in 2D

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @all:

I liken myself to Bill Gates,
    Lend us a £1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Thats my argument about it too, which few people seem to get. If its a poor film in 2d, how does 3d make it a good film?
    Im not against 3d (in the cinema at least, not interested in the slightest at home) but Im not paying more to watch average/poor films that I wouldnt watch in 2D
    I shut off completely when I realised a) the aliens don't breath, and b) their hair is made of plastic and stuck firmly to their forhead - not even moving in a force 10 gale. Considering WETA's previous - King Kong and Gollum - I was sorely disapointed.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 19th March 2010 at 10:49 AM.

Thank Post
    i love gadgets but not got the cash
    would have soooo much more toys if i did

at present i have a big pc 3years old
    net book 1 year old
    laptop4+ years old
    2x 28" screens
    xbox - linked to media center
    iphone 3gs
    stereo is about 10years old now

so plenty of toys just not all new

Thank Post
    I buy things that I'm interested in, if I'm not really interested, I don't bother. Hence the 21" ancient crt TV in the living room. Though I did build myself a new machine recently and all the computer kit is relatively up-to-date.

Now good tools, torches, cheese or coffee-making gear? Yeah, I spend far too much there - a shopping trip isn't complete without a new widget from B&Q and a visit to the cheese shop.

Thank Post
    I get stuff with purpose or use, but a gadget for the sake of a gadget is pointless!
    Currently running:

1x 42" HD Sony Bravia LCD TV
    1x Xbox 360 connected to Sony TV by HDMI

1x 20" Sanyo HD TV
    1x PS3 connected to Sonyo TV via HDMI

1x 17" unbranded PC monitor (a freebie)

1x nearly-2-year-old Dell PC (that's better than 3 of my 4 servers )
    dual-screening with Sony TV as main and PC monitor as 2nd

Additional external HDD for PC

Usual extra's like webcam, microphones, cat5e cabling, a switch to connect everything up to my broadband and so on.

WACOM Bamboo Pen Tablet, and a wireless keyboard/mouse from Maplins
    (don't know the make off the top of my head) + keyboard and mouse for Xbox360/PS3

HTC HERO mobile phone and 3rd Gen iPod Nano for music
    (never go anywhere without the two of these!)

I did have a Nintendo Wii as well but donated that to my younger brother.
    Also had an HP iPaq PDA but it didn't get much use once I got my Android phone so I sold it,
    and an Asus eeePC which was a great bit of kit but I have a genetic eye condition and the small screen was too impractical for me to read, so it got sold also.

Strangely enough I don't currently have a printer, but haven't needed one lately so not worried really.

There's also various other bits and pieces lying around the place too like extra keyboards/mice, PC parts from previous/upcoming upgrades, spare CAT5e cabling, USB extension cables, spare VGA/HDMI cables, spare Xbox360 controller, 2x Rock Band guitar controllers, Rock Band drum kit, Xbox/PS3/PC compatible USB microphones, spare PS3 controller, tons of batteries, spare power cables..... basically if anything breaks I've got a spare on hand already!

Currently saving up to put in a projector and a surround sound system, hoping to have it up and running by mid-to-late Summer this year (providing no other big expenditures come up unexpectedly!)

Personally I don't think that's much at all, even though everyone around here looks at me like I'm a loon for wanting a projector in my flat! lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123