+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fuel prices - brace yourselves in General; we pay about AU$1.20/litre here, which is about 60p in the exchange rate. Dont know if AU even has an ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we pay about AU$1.20/litre here, which is about 60p in the exchange rate. Dont know if AU even has an oil reserve or if it imports it all..

But with the amount of oilthere was / is oil in the North Sea, the UK is just hiking tax.. Go accross to europe even and its a fraction of the cost..

Kinda on topic, the .gov here had a rebate scheme for folk who fitted LNG tanks to their cars.. theres loads of them about now, and its a fraction of the price of petrol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    I honestly can't wait until we're all driving around in hydrogen powered cars.
    You'll be waiting a while! Plus to completely change the fuel infrastructure of the country will cost a fortune, which will be reflected in the cost of the stuff, or the vehicles

Thank Post
    Wish I could get on a bike to work! I drive 37 miles each way petrol prices are crippling! When I started here a year and a bit ago petrol was at 89p/l now its 1.20p/l a 25% rise!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    we pay about AU$1.20/litre here, which is about 60p in the exchange rate. Dont know if AU even has an oil reserve or if it imports it all..

But with the amount of oilthere was / is oil in the North Sea, the UK is just hiking tax.. Go accross to europe even and its a fraction of the cost..

Kinda on topic, the .gov here had a rebate scheme for folk who fitted LNG tanks to their cars.. theres loads of them about now, and its a fraction of the price of petrol.
    Not quite - that is currently about 97p a litre. It hasnt been $2 to the pound for a while now

As for petrol costing less in Europe, again not quite, virtually every country is above 90p a litre. France costs virtually the same. Granted some of that is because of the weak pound but its a myth that petrol is suddenly cheaper across the channel

Finally, north sea oil output peaked over 10 years ago, its been declining ever since, so more and more is being imported

Thank Post
    ...aaaannnnndddd it's time to sell my car and buy something a little more economical...

It's amazing - when prices went over £1.00 there was rioting, and now they've sneaked it up to £1.15 no one bats an eyelid in comparrison. I remember hearing something a while ago about the proportion of cash that goes to the government and the proportion that goes to the oil industry. The oil companies get a lot less than you'd think!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Biggest myth ever. People say we're reaching that limit now, but no one knows what the limit is, and as highlighted a few weeks ago, alot of countries don't even have accurate data on how much oil is being used/extracted.
    Doesnt make it a myth, just means, as you say, we dont know when it will be. Thats not a reason to ignore it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    As mentioned by a few posts, petrol prices are high because it's a nice big earner for the government. LPG and alternative fuels aren't taxed to the hilt because, as far as the treasury in concerned, they're irrelevant.

Imagine if everybody converted all their vehicles to LPG tomorrow. You'd soon discover that the cost of LPG at the pumps would rise to a similar amount to petrol.
    When I started driving an LPG car a few years ago it was about 42p/litre if I remember correctly. Its now edging ever closer to 70p/litre.

Whichever way you look at it, as a percentage raise or in real terms of pennies, LPG is rising at a faster rate than petrol.

I've gone back to a petrol car for the moment, but as soon as I can I'm getting a bike. Sadly the cycle to work scheme here expired just before it occurred to me to use it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well the weather is on the turn, mornings are getting lighter and my personal fitness levels and stamina are improving. It's only 13 miles or so to work. I may give it a couple more weeks and then I'd be breaking out the ol' push bike. My monthly petrol bills should start falling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    I didn't realise that. Talk about suckering people in. What's the explanation for this? Is it that LPG is getting more expensive to produce?
    It still comes from oil so its subject to the same price hikes as petrol, just with lower taxation as its cleaner. Dont know if thats the reason for its rise but it could be

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting fed up ofthe petrol increase! i aint been driving long but i remember when it used to be low!! like very low...!! amazing what a couple of years can do

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Not quite - that is currently about 97p a litre. It hasnt been $2 to the pound for a while now

As for petrol costing less in Europe, again not quite, virtually every country is above 90p a litre. France costs virtually the same. Granted some of that is because of the weak pound but its a myth that petrol is suddenly cheaper across the channel

Finally, north sea oil output peaked over 10 years ago, its been declining ever since, so more and more is being imported
    1.20 AUD = 0.730552 GBP XE.com: AUD to GBP rate: 1.20 AUD = 0.730249 GBP

Though granted dot quite 2.1 anymore.. my withdrawls from my UK accounts are costing me more and more all the time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    1.20 AUD = 0.730552 GBP XE.com: AUD to GBP rate: 1.20 AUD = 0.730249 GBP

Though granted dot quite 2.1 anymore.. my withdrawls from my UK accounts are costing me more and more all the time
    Sorry...not sure how I managed to mess such a simple conversion up!

Thank Post
    sidewinder said “Doesnt make it a myth, just means, as you say, we dont know when it will be. Thats not a reason to ignore it”
    Peak oil could be a day or two before it runs out. It could be in 100 or 1000 years. Peak oil is just the max amount that can be extracted at once. In theory you can extract the peak amount right up till almost none is left.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I would say part of the rise is to due with the drop in value of the pound which is 1 EUR = 0.908819, which is 91p to 1 Euro in simple terms.

It will be interesting with the Budget due to be announed on March 24th (next week) whether the Government plan on adding another 2p in October 2010 which they seem to do every year now.

Edit: I was unaware Darling was planning to add 3p more in April according to the BBC. Not looking positive at all!

Thank Post
    Ive never understood why they don't just use a percentage tax on fuel :s

Something along the lines of 0% would be great for me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast