+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, 360 degree projectors in General; Morning all well this caught me by suprise. My boss has asked me what I know about 360 degree projectors ...
    PEO
    Thank Post

360 degree projectors

Morning all

well this caught me by suprise. My boss has asked me what I know about 360 degree projectors I had no idea that you can get these.

Has anyone seen these; using them in the school; and what would you use it for?

Cheers

Kev

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Morning all

well this caught me by suprise. My boss has asked me what I know about 360 degree projectors I had no idea that you can get these.

Has anyone seen these; using them in the school; and what would you use it for?

Cheers

Kev
    They sound fun, i've seen 3D projectors before in a CLC they are fun also!

Thank Post
    Looks very cool and gimmicky - struggling for an educational use, though!

PEO
    Thank Post
    My boss thinks we can project learning walls on to the wall. basically go digital.

Im strugling to find them on the net

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    My boss thinks we can project learning walls on to the wall.
    What's a "learning wall"? A 360-degree projector implies a 360-degree wall, and most classrooms are rectangular (cue comment from someone who teaches in a converted lighthouse...). I imagine you could make a 360-degree projector easily enough in the reverse of the way you do a 360-degree camera: with a convex lense mounted above a projector. The image resolution is probably going to be pretty poor (1280 X 768, but spread out over a much wider area than normal, and you're bound to loose some at the edges) and you might struggle to find software that knows how to adjust to fit a 360-degree display.

Is your boss actually thinking of a display made up from multiple projected displays, so like multiple monitors but without bezels getting in the way, stretching around two or three walls of a classroom? That strikes me as a good idea, and very do-able right now: either buy a bunch of cheaper projectors right now for around £400 each, or wait a few months until the snazzy new smaller, cheaper LED-based projectors are commonplace. There's no need to worry too much about the lumens rating of these projectors, think of them as snazzy monitors for pupil use, not front-of-class displays.

We've had a couple of other threads recently about controlling such a setup. You could either simply buy one "gaming" PC with multiple graphics cards and spread your desktop over the displays in the traditional way, or use something like an NComputing / Windows MultiPoint Server system to let you plug a separate keyboard and mouse in for each display and let multiple users operate at the same time. My preference would be for next month's release of Ubuntu, complete with multi-pointer support, letting you have multiple mouse pointers doing different things on a large desktop spread over, say, 6 projected displays.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread