+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Equal Pay in General; But it's nice to get paid what you're entitled to and to be recognised as a professional, isn't it. A ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But it's nice to get paid what you're entitled to and to be recognised as a professional, isn't it. A lot of places don't appreciate their staff and take every opportunity to pay crap wages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    Lets just face it your never gonna earn decent money in education.

You're never going to earn a fortune but a network manager should expect to earn 25+ (I think that's ok outside of London) anything less is an insult, you wouldn't see a school offering a low salary for a teaching position. It they want a professional network manager they should pay the going rate.

Thank Post
    Got the same thing here, I'm as far as I can go as

a) don't hold a budget (even though I sort out whats the best option, get the quotes, sort the order etc etc just don't print the order and sign it

b)don't manage anyone or make critical decisions!!! (no comment)

To get the above I would be better off doing an office admin job they seem to be more creative with job specs!

So stuck at the level I was assessed at (got a rise but not much of a one) but not a chance of improving it due to the specifications they have put on it! Was askied if I wanted to do anything training etc..my answer...why? wheres the incentive! would give me no extra points at all for all the extra work involved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    I got told by my line manager that although i'm the Network Manager and line manage 2 technicians and the manage the network, I'm not really a manager, so we will not be paying you as a manager. Needless to say I was not impressed with that.
    equal pay should be good for you then!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    On this very note, I have just asked for the Job Descs of Senior Tech and NM(apparently I am an IT Systems Tech - didn't know that) and it looks as though I could make a good case for about 80% of the NM - but just about 100% of the Senior Tech. The only things missing are things we don't actually do so I couldn't be involved with them.
    I know that neither of my schools have any money to pay me as a Senior Tech, so I don't know if there is any point asking for my job to be re-evaluated or whatever.
    I am only one spinal point off the top of my current grade (6, whatever that is) so I can't ask to be put up much within it.
    What would you do? I am just tired of having a whole lot of responsibility and getting nothing for it. I am just specing up a whole wireless network, netbooks to hang off it and an IT suite of machines in one school- it is TOTALLY down to me as to what we get (not even an ICT co-ord in this school) and it is grating a bit that I get paid less than 10 an hour for the privilege.
    The other school is the size of a small senior school and has 2 senior years, and although we have an IT co-ord he can't help in terms of kit etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my job most of the time, but frankly we need more money and I am trying to think of the best way to go about it.
    Grateful for any advice
    * edit: yes I know lots of us lone techs do all this sort of thing, but from another thread it became obvious that I was paid less than most
    Last edited by witch; 16th March 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    There might be some point to pursuing the job evaluation, but there again if the schools you work in don't have any money then they may find they can't afford you. But there again that's their problem not yours.

I am in much the same boat, although I only work in one school, I think I'm classed as a Senior Tech (might be a reference to my age for all the difference it makes). As you will have no doubt seen from my threads, I too am in the middle of a project - and getting paid way less than 10 per hour. There are certainly times when I think I'm not paid to do this or that, but there is nobody else to do it so I just get on with the task in hand. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

Thank Post
    We are doing threw the same here, but only had 3 job roles 1 NM 1 Senior Tech and 1 Trainee Tech, there are 3 of us here and they applies the logic that 3 job roles means only 1 person in each role, ended up being classed as a Trainee Tech (Job Group not post). Had a meeting with the head OFC and was told that half the stuff on my job description I wasn’t expected to do. That one sent me mad, just waiting for the actual Job descriptions to come through then we shall see if all hell breaks lose

Thank Post
    We have just had the job eval, but the three options i had to choose from were
    tec level 1-2-3, no mention of management of even half of what i do as a network manager.
    This has me concerned, i did ask for more relevant job specs to be handed down but i was told they were what the LEA provided i had to match my job best i could! so even if they say closest match is tec level 3 that cant be good (currently on p01/p02).
    doesnt seem right and the specs looked like Science tec roles not IT tec roles, looks like someone doesnt know the difference...

Thank Post
    I've been told i'm in phase 2 for equal pay, so have to wait until next year for it to take place. All of a sudden though I'm being asked to write my own job description as my current one doesn't list over half the roles and tasks I actually do, I spoke to my union and they couldn't believe that the school would ask that of me and advised me not to sign any new job description as the school would then be able to keep my pay low through the equal pay review.

I've also been told I can't apply for a re-grade by my SBM as the equal pay review is taking place, personally I feel a bit cheated as I don't get to go through the equal pay review until next year.

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I know that neither of my schools have any money to pay me as a Senior Tech, so I don't know if there is any point asking for my job to be re-evaluated or whatever.
    As part of this process the school is obliged to set aside money in the budget to allow for increased wages, they may have assistance with this process from their authority. This was certainly the case less than a year ago when I was a governor at a primary school in Norfolk.

Thank Post
    Hey,

We've just had our new Pay Grades handed to us. I was on 25k as a network manager now 19k... my colleague just got a promotion 3 weeks ago from 14k to 17 to take on extra responsibilities and to continue his professional development. He's now back to 14k after working for 2 years so his promotion was just a kick in the teeth. The assistant network manager has taken a 3k cut too.

Our new job titles are as follows...

Curriculum & resource Support Level 2, 3 and 4

I'm reviewing our job descriptions now. I can't see how we was paired up with that particular job title when "network manager", "ict technician" and "assistant" already exist.
    Last edited by techyphil; 5th July 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All depends on a) what was in your job description and b) how you schools sent things over.

Thank Post
    I have a horrible feeling then that my school has messed up because they were rushing the details through, and if what people have said on here is anything to go by the pay rise i had to fight for could be invain.
    If othe people at least had network manager job descriptions to work from why couldent my liverpool based school get them?!

ill let you know how it goes....im dusting off my c.v just incase

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Equal Pay Job Evaluation

If anyone out there has an example of an ICT Technicians Job Description, please post it to me. I am conducting a survey of job titles to job description for the Job Evaluation done at my school. Ended up with a 14% cut in pay and that hurt!!

E-mail jtuerena@tiscali.co.uk

Thank Post

Equal Pay

I'm now in the silly situation of working for 2 schools and doing the same job for both but being paid differently by both. So much for equal pay !!!! ... I'm off to an equal pay clinic in Poole on Tuesday .. I wonder what they will make if it !! I'm trying to get a new job description for those of us that do everything and dont fit into the standard descriptions where you are either a manager with a team or a budget or a tech that basicly changes ribbons !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast