+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bargain Media Centre in General; If anyone already has a main media centre or WHS and is looking for a simple client then this Acer ...

Thank Post

Bargain Media Centre

If anyone already has a main media centre or WHS and is looking for a simple client then this Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer is a bargain.

Comes with Linux on it but you can put anything on it and it happily runs Media Centre and will stream hi def. Have just put one in the bedroom and the other half loves the fact she can now watch Desperate Housewives in bed.

Rich

Thank Post
    I've just got one of these Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player Divx & ISO HDMI USB/SD Media player HDMI 1080p Upscaling - Ebuyer

Ok it doesnt play HD but it plays everything else i throw at it. Have a old 200GB portable hard drive plugged into it with all my movies / tv shows on there!

and for less than £30 it aint bad (although i only paid £23 about 3 weeks ago)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    I've just got one of these Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player Divx & ISO HDMI USB/SD Media player HDMI 1080p Upscaling - Ebuyer

Ok it doesnt play HD but it plays everything else i throw at it. Have a old 200GB portable hard drive plugged into it with all my movies / tv shows on there!

Real HD from the tinternets is the future... I use XBMC on a DC Atom Ion... wait a minute deja vou thick we aready have a thread on this!

Thank Post
    Ah if only that had a TV tuner in it too

Thank Post
    Just put a USB tuner in the side of it, it's what I'm going to do. Think a single tuner version is about £20 which is enough for a bedroom but if you wanted more the R3600 has 6 usb ports

Thank Post
    Ive been using the revo with XBMC as a full hd media centre since the day it came out.

Its perfect for HTPC !!! handles 1080p MKV with the cpu running at around 3% !!!!

Mine is also the old single core 3600 not the dual core atom.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGPcwzq_QI"]YouTube- XBMC with Aeon Stark running on Acer Aspire Revo[/ame]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    can now watch Desperate Housewives in bed.

Rich
    Result!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post

what file formats you playing on that could get mine to pick up so i sent it it maybe a dodgy one

Thank Post
    I bought my Revo 3600 (same as OP posted) back around 2 months ago, when they dropped from £169 to £144.

At £129 delivered - if you've light internet useage, or for a little media centre / PC to attach to the back of your living room TV, then it's a real no-brainer bargain.

I'm considering going for a 3610 with Windows 7 on it, 500gb hard drive and 4 gig of ram option for my main PC. (its got the atom 330 chip, which is dual core hyperthreaded, and shows up as 4 proessors, which is nice)
    Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer
    It's gone up in price though - it was £259 a few days ago - now apparently "down to £299".

Chunks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    what file formats you playing on that could get mine to pick up so i sent it it maybe a dodgy one
    •Video format support: MPEG1/2/4(MPG, VOB, AVI), DivX(avi), XviD(avi), resolution up to 720 x 480 30fps / 720 x 576 25fps

•Upscale playback of standard media files to 1080p resolution.
    Seems it cant support HD content, only upscale SD to a dodgey form of HD!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    If anyone already has a main media centre or WHS and is looking for a simple client then this Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer is a bargain.

Comes with Linux on it but you can put anything on it and it happily runs Media Centre and will stream hi def. Have just put one in the bedroom and the other half loves the fact she can now watch Desperate Housewives in bed.

Rich
    I have one of these, they are very nice. I however, having used a USB drive for a while, setup a FreeNas box out the way to store all my Films and TV Series.

At that price, thought, tempted to get another for a 2nd room... (just in case!)

Gary

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    I bought my Revo 3600 (same as OP posted) back around 2 months ago, when they dropped from £169 to £144.

At £129 delivered - if you've light internet useage, or for a little media centre / PC to attach to the back of your living room TV, then it's a real no-brainer bargain.

I'm considering going for a 3610 with Windows 7 on it, 500gb hard drive and 4 gig of ram option for my main PC. (its got the atom 330 chip, which is dual core hyperthreaded, and shows up as 4 proessors, which is nice)
    Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer
    It's gone up in price though - it was £259 a few days ago - now apparently "down to £299".

Chunks
    I looked at that one but thought for a little 20" bedroom TV it just wasn't worth it. I might upgrade the RAM in mine to 2 or 4Gb though to help it along a bit.

Any idea what RAM it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    I have one of these, they are very nice. I however, having used a USB drive for a while, setup a FreeNas box out the way to store all my Films and TV Series.

At that price, thought, tempted to get another for a 2nd room... (just in case!)

Gary
    The FreeNAS is an awesome piece of software but I really like WHS, the extra plugins are lovely and the easy remote access is awesome.

Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Ive been using the revo with XBMC as a full hd media centre since the day it came out.

Its perfect for HTPC !!! handles 1080p MKV with the cpu running at around 3% !!!!

Mine is also the old single core 3600 not the dual core atom.

YouTube- XBMC with Aeon Stark running on Acer Aspire Revo
    Is it fast enough then? Im really fussy about speed; if a computer cant keep up with me it usually gets thrown in the bin!

Whats the single core like as a media center? Or do i go for the 3610 dual core?

Thank Post
    It's reasonably quick, obviously not as fast as a full desktop but then it uses a fraction of the power.
    If budget allows then the dual core and more RAM will be quicker so go for it.

Thank Post
    Fair enough. Anything answer other than a "the single core has ran XBMC perfectly" and i was gunna look at the dual. Like i say, patience isnt one of my strong points.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast