+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Technician costs in General; ...

Thank Post

Technician costs

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, didn't really know where to post this.

I'm an ICT coordinator in a one form entry primary in Barnet and I've been asked by our Governing body to justify the costs of all of our major ICT costings including admin tech support and curriculum ICT support.

We don't really have much choice when it comes to admin support as the borough support take care of it but I feel we get good value from our Curriculum support and I just wanted to see if I could get some comparitive costings from fellow Edugeekers.

We currently have our technician for one 3 hour session a week at a cost of £85 per session which comes out at £3400 annually based on a 40 week year. We've also recently had a brochure arrive from another local company quoting £4995 for the equivalent cover from them.

Would really appreciate any info you could give about the support you receive.

Thanks in advance,

thesarie

Thank Post
    Hmm, well let's just say you could get 5 hours out of me and change for that money per week. Unsure of the guys business model but what exactly does he do for that money and 3 hours a week? 1 Form I'm presuming you have quite a low student population, 80-100?

Thank Post
    Five hours a week for less than £85 a week?

That seems a little .... errr... cheap?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    Hmm, well let's just say you could get 5 hours out of me and change for that money per week. Unsure of the guys business model but what exactly does he do for that money and 3 hours a week? 1 Form I'm presuming you have quite a low student population, 80-100?
    Think your under selling youself there mate, £85 is cheap!

Thank Post
    It's not in relation to the budgets of primary schools. Schools shouldn't be spending more on support than they do for equipment, they don't move forward. Secondary schools have set the standards for education in their costings, primaries suffer because of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SheldonCooper View Post
    Five hours a week for less than £85 a week?

That seems a little .... errr... cheap?
    No, it isn't. Us primary techs don't get paid very much y'know. Especially down here...I get less than £10 an hour so you'd get more than 5 hours a week out of me for £85

In terms of external support then yes, I do think that £85 is reasonable - seems a lot to me but then I am paid very badly!
    One school I know pays £399 a year for one 3 hour visit per month, but crucially, they do get telephone support all the rest of the time. Do you?

I used to work in a first school for 10 hours a week - 2 a day, and that would work out at only a bit more than you are paying now, but if an in-house tech is not the way for you to go, then I would think that your current deal is reasonable

Thank Post
    Thanks Witch, I'm old school because I came from a in-house tech role back in the day so I charge a little bit more than in-house to cover petrol. Remember most do it as a part time venture, so it's extra cash not a fortune builder.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    No, it isn't. Us primary techs don't get paid very much y'know. Especially down here...I get less than £10 an hour so you'd get more than 5 hours a week out of me for £85
    Thing is with companies like this, they send out a lowly tech, but if the brown stuff hits the fan at said school they also have the expertise in the company to be able to continue to support the school.

Whereas if they were paying £85 for an individual to come and do it, if they haven't got the skills required then it's game over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We pay £5000 a year and hand unlimited call outs (not that I use them much, however teaching staff prefer to go to them over me as I tend to try and teach them the fault so they dont do it again).

We pay extra for server installs or major rebuilds, but thats an obvious one. We have around 3 techs to our disposal for this cost.

Thank Post
    What's edugeek for HighTower?
    4th Line

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts
    The hourly rate you are paying incorporates 2 elements: the hourly rate received by the tech (his/her pay packet) and the overheads of employing that tech, i.e. employer's NI, pension, etc

This means that if you only took my hourly rate into account, you could have 7 hours of my time... but taking employer's contributions into account, it would be less than that.

LA will presumably be trying to earn money by selling these services to schools... so they are unlikely to be doing the job at cost; in the end I feel less than £30 an hour you are paying, particularly in London, is probably fair.

Thank Post
    Which is possibly why schools should have a trial of a company before committing. I always offer trials because then they know what they are getting, if they are happy I'm happy. If they aren't then well they need to find someone or a company that will provide what they need. Too many schools rush in when in fact each school is different and will need something different to effectively provide the service they need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    I know that our LA charge the primary schools for one half day per fortnight 4k per annum.
    I did approach our feeder schools with a cost of the same but for one full day per fortnight which would have paid for a first class IT technician with a good skill set.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    £85.00 for what equates to a morning / afternoon visit sounds reasonable.

@ Witch – Payed badly isn’t the word I am shocked. Really? Less then £10ph?

Also with regards to the comment that paying a high cost for a tech means the school can’t move forward. Just because the school has more kit doesn’t mean it’s used any better. There is a difference to a school having a small provision of kit that works so staff are confident to use it over a school that has lots of kit that isn’t maintained and therefore has issues and sits their not being used.

Comments such as I can do it cheaper just fuel the fire that IT support in schools can be done on the cheap and stop people getting the pay they deserve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    @ Witch Ė Payed badly isnít the word I am shocked. Really? Less then £10ph?
    I'm a full-time technician in a large (1600 students approx) secondary and only get paid pence more than £10ph

We used to have a 'junior' tech who was on considerably less than that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast