+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Technician costs in General; ...

Thank Post
    I don't think its all about the cost of someone coming in and repairing stuff that doesn't work. What about additional services to complement the curriculum and learn pupils about use of ICT?

For example, setting up a mail server that pupils can use to learn how email systems work, a web-server that pupils can upload websites to? For 5 hours a week and at £85 are they going to configure and set these sorts of things up?

Having a technician in the school isn't just about fixing broken stuff. It's also about what else they can bring to the Infrastructure to develop the use of ICT in Schools. IMO anyway.

2. 3 Thanks to HodgeHi:

bossman (11th March 2010), GrumbleDook (11th March 2010), SYSMAN_MK (11th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Fuels the fire?
    I offer a value for money service, it's not done on the cheap, but it makes people realise they don't need to tie into corporate contracts that take away the quality provision i provide. I taught ICT to every class in a primary school for two years, who from a corporate IT background has that to share?
    I know what works in the classroom, i know how to get the best from the equipment available. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be more provision for use or have the quality of equipment they deserve.
    Making do, will not do, and that can be backed up by most of the governing bodies that deal with ICT in schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Yes, I know I am paid badly - and after 8 years in this game, with responsiblity for AD, GP, choosing new kit, inputting into budgets etc , I don't think I would count as a junior tech either!
    But them's the breaks - Dorset see me as a lowly IT tech and that is what they pay.

I still want to know if the company mentioned by the OP offer telephone support.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all of your replies, I didn't anticipate this many so soon.

There seems to be a big range of prices for technical support out there.

Just to add a few details to the support we currently get. Our technician is available by mobile phone and e-mail (straight to his phone I believe) all day every day and will always come in if we have an emergency and hasn't yet charged anything extra for these ad-hoc visits. We've also used his knowledge a lot towards furthering the development of ICT in the school - as he visits many schools he sees much more different technologies than we do.

Of course, server installation (happening soon ), network and av installation are provided at additional cost.

We have 7 classes, approx 210 pupils, 30 staff, approx 50 desktops, 10 laptops (soon to be an additional 45 laptops ) an RM CC3 Network (soon to be decommissioned and a vanilla network put in its place) and prometheans in every classroom.

This is good research and I will compile all of this data for our governors.

Thank Post
    Sounds a reasonable price for external support given the techs availibility

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought that single status was supposed to sort these differneces out for those of us employed in Schools. I know it hasn't as a n IT tech working at my council earns more than a network manager still, even though the systems are now approaching the same levels.

£85 is ok, When I do work for a friend during my holidays he charges £30 an hour for me to do installs etc. I keep £25 + Petrol.

I'm afraid that you get what you pay for in most cases, of course one of the goveners mates can do the same job for a pittance, but does he have the experience of working in schools and all of the solutions that are needed?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    It is the old story of Supply and demand is it not:

In this digital age the more people who flood the market with their skills the lower the cost for the consumer.

Skills come and go as different technology makes advances but the underlying technical abilities like good customer service and knowledge is irreplaceable on the cheap, as has been mentioned you only get what you pay for.

If a person wishes to give their knowledge and use their skill set for a pittance then that is up to them, but what it does in fact is de-skill the whole IT framework in that people will only then pay what they believe to be a fair price as the IT professionals undercut each other to get the work, eventually cutting their own throats into the bargain.

Simple maths really: More = Less

9. Thanks to bossman from:

SYSMAN_MK (11th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Foot in the door prices as Bossman suggested. Everybody does what they need to

Thank Post
    Hi

What I would investigate is not just the cost but also the service that you need. Many managers try to put things in nice neat boxes for financial reasons but ict support and what it costs is so much more. The following things will change the amount of ict support you need.

Number of computers.
    Age of computers.
    Are they networked if so how?
    Is there a domain and if so what?
    How has it been looked after in the past?
    Have you had good ict support in the past?
    Is the network patched up and up to date?
    Is it a mess?
    What support do you need in terms of hours?
    Do you need all the hours together or do you need people when things break?
    Does a contract cover call out costs?
    If so how many and are you likely to exceed this?
    How much extra will this support be?

What I would do is contact the large secondary schools near you and see if they can support you. They might be able to offer you a better deal in terms of providing what you need as they are closer than a external company so can do more call outs.

The other route that works well is to form a group of primary schools and employ a full time technician that supports a cluster of primary schools. I have seen this work very well as the technician gets to know exactly what a primary school needs as this is all they do, rather than a business it technician doing what they think.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it is a fairly reasonable price and would back up the views of others by saying that it is not just the time spent on the ground that should be costed in, but also telephone support, access to advice based on education rather than just technology, good customer service, consistent information and documentation, etc ...

One of the problems I have in our area is that sometimes it is inconsistent, mainly because the schools does not know what to ask for ... sometimes they may get something that is over-priced and they need to shop around occasionally to make sure they get what they need. Sometimes it is one of the Governors who can help with this, sometimes the LA, sometimes another school ... nothing wrong with this, but sometimes it comes across to support providers that someone else is coming in and giving advice that *they* should be giving ... it is more about making sure the school is asking the right questions though.

Thank Post
    LT have asked me to look into providing a tech for primary visits so i'm just putting some figure together so this thread has proved very useful. Can anyone else provide me with an idea of what they charge primaries for support?

Thank Post
    I'm actually quite shocked at some of the charging levels on here. Less than £10 an hour?

I feel suddenly quite well off.

Thank Post
    Me too, that sounds like a very low amount for the work. You'd have to assume that it's not just term time employment or that works out to be approx £14k a year. Add to that free, no obligation trials and the fact that most technicians have either a degree, mcsa, a+ and other courses....

Please note, this isn't a put down in any way, I'm just surprised.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ba9ag View Post
    Me too, that sounds like a very low amount for the work. You'd have to assume that it's not just term time employment or that works out to be approx £14k a year. Add to that free, no obligation trials and the fact that most technicians have either a degree, mcsa, a+ and other courses....

Please note, this isn't a put down in any way, I'm just surprised.
    Yeah, it is a bit shocking, yes I do have lots of qualifications and yes, it is term-time only work....No, it isn't much money.
    Suited me at the time due to children at school etc but now, with university for all three I need a bit more money. Would be nice not to have to take holidays in school hols either.
    Having said that, salaries for IT techs around here are not great - my brother-in-law does the same job as I do at the local hospital, and although he earns a bit more, it isnt good. He doesn't have any responsibility for AD or equipment though, so maybe I should start looking

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yeah, it is a bit shocking, yes I do have lots of qualifications and yes, it is term-time only work....No, it isn't much money.
    Suited me at the time due to children at school etc but now, with university for all three I need a bit more money. Would be nice not to have to take holidays in school hols either.
    Having said that, salaries for IT techs around here are not great - my brother-in-law does the same job as I do at the local hospital, and although he earns a bit more, it isnt good. He doesn't have any responsibility for AD or equipment though, so maybe I should start looking
    If it were me I would. I get much more than your hourly rate and it's full time including school hols (this is both a plus and a minus point on occasions though).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast