+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, how long left for xp in General; does anyone know when we will be able to purchase xp until? for school use? simple question i just cant ...
    Thank Post

how long left for xp

does anyone know when we will be able to purchase xp until? for school use?

simple question i just cant seem to find much other than the april 2014 date for support

Thank Post
    forever i suppose, you can still purchase 98!! from some outlets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    does anyone know when we will be able to purchase xp until? for school use?

simple question i just cant seem to find much other than the april 2014 date for support
    we can't buy XP anymore from our supplier but we make use of the right to purchase Windows 7 licenses but install XP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might be able to buy it but not sure if you'll be able to run it - I think there are already manufacturers who aren't bringing out drivers for XP and that's not going to improve.

There's no panic to go to Windows 7 tomorrow but I think everyone should be making plans for retiring XP over the next couple of years (either "big bang" move to 7 if the hardware currently in place can handle it or trickling in as new equipment arrives)

Thank Post
    according to this Microsoft will still support it until 8th April 2014, and as has already been said, you can run XP on a 7 licence with downgrade rights (or a school agreement etc.)

Thank Post
    You'll be able to run it for some time yet and it's supported until 2014, I doubt you'll find Intel/HP etc dropping driver support soon especially for business focused kit but any stuff designed for the home and small business market and from smaller manufacturers you'll start to see Vista/7 only. Don't panic as Steve says but i'd start thinking about 7 in the next couple of years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Don't forget the OEM downgrade rights deadline (Q4 2010) which was mentioned in the thread below. Once this has passed you will no longer be able to purchase a Windows 7 PC from an OEM which can be downgraded to XP Pro.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/licensing-questions/49691-windows-7-downgrade-xp.html

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Don't forget the OEM downgrade rights deadline (Q4 2010) which was mentioned in the thread below. Once this has passed you will no longer be able to purchase a Windows 7 PC from an OEM which can be downgraded to XP Pro.
    OEM downgrade rights and VL downgrade rights are two different things. Most if not all schools should be using VL licenses. You can install Windows 2000 on a Windows 7 VLK - if you really wanted to, can't think why you would though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/licensing-questions/49691-windows-7-downgrade-xp.html
    i'm a little bit confused, probably because i haven't looked into it in enough depth. For VLK customers there is no downgrade time limit, but VLK customers need to have a Win7 OEM preinstalled on the shipped kit in order to be able to downgrade right ? So does the OEM time limit still not apply, as they are effectively downgrading from an OEM install using XP VLK and media.

Thank Post
    Thanks tmcd35, i think you answered my question.

I don't think MS are going to be able to get rid of XP that easily.....how long do we reckon it'll retain dominant share in terms of actual installs. 2012 ? 2013 ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i'm a little bit confused, probably because i haven't looked into it in enough depth. For VLK customers there is no downgrade time limit, but VLK customers need to have a Win7 OEM preinstalled on the shipped kit in order to be able to downgrade right ? So does the OEM time limit still not apply, as they are effectively downgrading from an OEM install using XP VLK and media.
    A little more depth just to illustrate how mind bending MS licensing truly is

• You need a qualifying (XP/VISTA/7) Pro OEM install on the machine to use VLK's
    • The VLK is an upgrade only product - you are upgrading the OEM copy to a VLK copy
    • The VLK copy includes downgrade rights for 2000/XP/Vista Pro editions

So you can have a PC with Vista OEM Business, buy a Windows 7 Pro VLK and install Windows 2000 Pro. nice!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 11th March 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Thank Post
    And if I (and all other primary support persons) cannot legitimately obtain XP to run our tatty software what do MS think is going to happen?

Now it won't make any monetary difference to them as I'll have bought a copy of Win7 with the computer - so I'll sleep perfectly happy at night without expecting the knock on the door.

The've cried wolf over the death knell for XP too many times now - I've stopped listening.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

• You need a qualifying (XP/VISTA/7) Pro OEM install on the machine to use VLK's
    • The VLK is an upgrade only product - you are upgrading the OEM copy to a VLK copy

So you can have a PC with Vista OEM Business, buy a Windows 7 Pro VLK and install Windows 2000 Pro. nice!
    or to put it another way, With a School Agreement, on any given PC, you can basically run whatever version of Windows you like as long as you have an OEM or Retail licence for *a* version of Windows for that PC. Simples <squeek>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

so the VLK downgrade rights are unaffected by the impending end of OEM downgrade rights ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    so the VLK downgrade rights are unaffected by the impending end of OEM downgrade rights ?
    AFAIK.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast