+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Level Crossing Training in General; Originally Posted by creese Sign seen recently in S Africa: This is a private Game Park If you enter it ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Sign seen recently in S Africa:

This is a private Game Park
    If you enter it you will become game.
    piccy?

Thank Post
    If they call it the "Darwin Skills" section of the test, then make it optional, I'm all for it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    She was just a total moron!

All unmanned crossings of this type have very clear signs telling you to open both gates first before driving across.
    What irritated me was that she thinks that it's the sat nav's fault for taking her on a road with a level crossing, not her fault for not knowing/reading how to use it. It's a perfectly legitimate route!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    My OH is learning to drive and she has been told that the handbrake is only to be used when parking.
    There was that thread on here where new drivers are getting taught to leave it in gear, clutch pressed and handbrake off at traffic lights. All of which are the complete oppsite of what i got taught only 5 years ago.
    The reason i got told is if you get hit up the back you dont want to go flying into the car/cyclist/pedestrian infront of you. Makes sense to me.

The reason new drivers are getting taught different - coz its easier init

I dont understand the point in a driving test if they are going to move the goalposts every few years!?!?! Surerly the point is to get everyone driving to the same rules and to an equal or better standard

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    piccy?
    I would love to have taken a photo but I was on horseback with a sadistic guide who kept making me Gallop? so spent a great deal of the time one hand on the reins (western style) and one hand grasping the saddle.

Edit: A great number of signs there say 'use this or go here at your own risk.

Thank Post
    I saw this on the news this morning - one comment which someone made was about changing the signs, so that rather than the orange flashy things (also found - and ignored - at fire stations, etc) they should just have regular traffic lights, as people know what to do at those. It still doesn't account for the stupidity of some people though.

I did notice that a lot of the people on that film are groups of kids, possibly doing it for the dare/thrill, not motorists.

As for how that girl has the audacity to blame the satnav for where she drove...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    If she had NEVER seen a level crossing, and it was dark, I can see why she thought it was some sort of farmer's gate. Some of the ones around here really don't look like crossings, and we also have some places where you get flashing lights because there might be cows crossing the road.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    If she had NEVER seen a level crossing, and it was dark, I can see why she thought it was some sort of farmer's gate. Some of the ones around here really don't look like crossings, and we also have some places where you get flashing lights because there might be cows crossing the road.
    If she thought it was a farm gate don't you think she should have questioned why she should be driving into some farmers field?

As it was actually a level crossing it would have had a sign saying open both gates and check for trains before proceeding, or words to that effect.

Thank Post
    Motorway training would be a better bet.

I wish my car had a rocket launcher to remove the middle and right lane hogs that get in my way (when the other lanes are empty). It drives me mad - and they sit there pottering along oblivious to the queue of angry drivers behind them!

(and ban wearing of pork pie hats in cars since I'm sure there is a relationship between wearing of said hats and overly slow and obstructive driving!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    If she thought it was a farm gate don't you think she should have questioned why she should be driving into some farmers field?

As it was actually a level crossing it would have had a sign saying open both gates and check for trains before proceeding, or words to that effect.
    Gated roads do actually exist... around here we have several with cattle grids... I suppose in the dark, train tracks could easily be mistaken..

Also I'm sure there are some areas that have double gates instead of cattle grids to keep livestock in... I know of one from the top of my head..
    Last edited by mossj; 10th March 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    It's dark, so you've got headlights on, you drive up to a strange gate blocking the road and see a sign instructing you what to do. It doesn't take a genius or any huge amount of deductive power to realise that you are on a train track, just open your eyes ffs. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever, infact I would revoke her licence and make her re-test. Same with all the other sat-nav idiots.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    (and ban wearing of pork pie hats in cars since I'm sure there is a relationship between wearing of said hats and overly slow and obstructive driving!)
    My father used to say this and now the whole family watch out for men who wear hats whilst driving. There certainly does seem to be some correlation between hat-wearing and standard of driving.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I suppose in the dark, train tracks could easily be mistaken..
    Only by a complete moron who shouldn't be allowed to drive; EVER!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    My father used to say this and now the whole family watch out for men who wear hats whilst driving. There certainly does seem to be some correlation between hat-wearing and standard of driving.
    Theres also a correation between willy size and standard of driving. BMW and 4x4 drivers in their willy replacement cars. As size decreases, standards decrease too, so far that the worst drivers are those with no willy at all

15. Thanks to j17sparky from:

sidewinder (10th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiendishlyclever View Post
    I wish my car had a rocket launcher to remove the middle and right lane hogs that get in my way (when the other lanes are empty). It drives me mad - and they sit there pottering along oblivious to the queue of angry drivers behind them!
    Or to remove the woman driving in the outside lane at 50mph while her son climed between the front passenger seat, the rear seats, and the boot... who didn't notice the rangerover sport undertaking her, nor the 5 series bmw undertaking her, or me sitting behind her flashing my headlights at her (i know you're not ment to do this, but I was more than a little annoyed at this point having been sat there for the best part of 4 miles. It took her another 2 miles to move over, and she was obviously oblivious.

It was to the point that had I had a hands-free kit, or a passenger, I'd have rung her in...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast