+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How difficult is it!? I want a train journey! in General; I need to travel to London on the 3rd May from Warwickshire. Can I get a bleedin' train? No. Not ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries

How difficult is it!? I want a train journey!

I need to travel to London on the 3rd May from Warwickshire. Can I get a bleedin' train? No. Not unless I make four changes, taking over four hours. This is a stupid country! And then there's no easy trains back at night according to the websites! Arrggghhhh. All I want to do is go to a rock concert. Sod it! Looks like I'm going to have to drive.

Thank Post
    The worst thing is when you're on a train and then they say its going to a different location than it says on the noticeboard. I nearly ended up in Blackpool the other day! I only wanted to go to Rochdale!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    its a direct train from here on tracks and even then they go wrong!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMurphy View Post
    The worst thing is when you're on a train and then they say its going to a different location than it says on the noticeboard. I nearly ended up in Blackpool the other day! I only wanted to go to Rochdale!!!
    Actually, that's just the railway company taking care of its customers in ever better ways. No-one in their right mind ever wants to go to Rochdale and Blackpool in winter will be much nicer :-)

On a serious note, @tech_guy - have you tried talking to a real person at your nearest station? Sometimes the online system just seems to get stuck and the person might be able to get a better route. I'd guess it's only 100 miles (less?) and it just seems weird that you can't get a better train journey (particularly as you're going to London!)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's because it's May Day - public holiday and all that. It's enough to make me want to riot!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For the country that pioneered the railways, it strikes me as ironic (and highly frustrating) that we have a relatively pathetic and expensive train network compared to many other countries.

Thank Post
    I used to drive to Banbury and get the X Country train to Euston. Stopped at every station but it was cheap and cheerfull.

Thank Post
    Meh, had the same the other day.

Bruton to Doncaster, would take 9 hours on train at a cost of £162, the route goes via Kings Cross, so Bruton > Bristol > Paddington > Tube > Kings Cross > Two more changeovers and I'm there.

The time it would take was immense. Severly disappointed with the rail network lately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    For the country that pioneered the railways, it strikes me as ironic (and highly frustrating) that we have a relatively pathetic and expensive train network compared to many other countries.
    Same as the phone network then - because we pioneered it, that means we now have the oldest system in the world, and no-one can ever be bothered to invest to overhaul it, so we creak along with patches and plasters. Just see the current heel-dragging over fibre-optics despite the obvious benefits of having a high-bandwidth infrastructure in place.

To OP: I feel your pain, I live on the East Coast so all my train journeys are across country, and there's no such thing as a cross-country train, they only go north/south. To get the 3 hours from Skegness to Stafford (3 hours by car, at least) would involve at least 3 changes and has taken up to 7½ hours in the past - longer, no less, than a door-to-door journey from Skegness to Switzerland when I lived there for a year, and that's including the 2 hours sitting in departures. Bloody silly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread