+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Facebook murderer makes me even more determined in General; BBC News - Facebook murderer to serve at least 35 years I am a CEOP approved ThinkUKnow trainer and this ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts

Facebook murderer makes me even more determined

BBC News - Facebook murderer to serve at least 35 years

I am a CEOP approved ThinkUKnow trainer and this story has reinforced what I think.

I am spend a significant amount of time educating people (staff, children and parents) on keeping themselves safe. It's not just about blocking facebook, it's about education... about making people realise that need to take as much care when they're on the internet as when they cross the road.

It's about making parents aware that they would never let their young children cross the road unsupervised, so why do they let them loose on their game consoles and mobile phones thinking that net nanny on their PC will do the job?

It's chilling, but every time I've presented to adults I've had at least one say "I didn't realise..." I've 'done' our staff recently and years 5 & 6, year 4 tomorrow, parents in 2 afternoon sessions (about an hour before pickup) next week with sessions during our Saturday school for parents in the pipeline.

It's a shame it takes something like this to make some people think...

EDIT
    ThinkUKnow:
    Material is here: http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/resources.aspx... (Videos, presentations, exercises, trainers notes....)

Training Courses here: http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/training.aspx though your LA may also do some of this training.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th March 2010 at 08:44 PM.

2. 8 Thanks to elsiegee40:

beeswax (8th March 2010), ButterflyMoon (9th March 2010), CPLTD (8th March 2010), GrumbleDook (8th March 2010), speckytecky (8th March 2010), srochford (8th March 2010), SteveT (8th March 2010), superfletch (10th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd love a copy of your presentation material if it's available please?

Re-reading your posting I see you are a CEOP approved trainer so realise that it's unlikely you would feel comfortable sharing some of your material which has no doubt taken a fair bit of putting together but if you did happen to have any piointers to material I could use in my Primary School - especially for staff and parents I'd be much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    BBC News - Facebook murderer to serve at least 35 years

I am a CEOP approved ThinkUKnow trainer and this story has reinforced what I think.

I am spend a significant amount of time educating people (staff, children and parents) on keeping themselves safe. It's not just about blocking facebook, it's about education... about making people realise that need to take as much care when they're on the internet as when they cross the road.

It's about making parents aware that they would never let their young children cross the road unsupervised, so why do they let them loose on their game consoles and mobile phones thinking that net nanny on their PC will do the job?

It's chilling, but every time I've presented to adults I've had at least one say "I didn't realise..." I've 'done' our staff recently and years 5 & 6, year 4 tomorrow, parents in 2 afternoon sessions (about an hour before pickup) next week with sessions during our Saturday school for parents in the pipeline.

It's a shame it takes something like this to make some people think...
    Last edited by speckytecky; 8th March 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I'd love a copy of your presentation material if it's available please?

Re-reading your posting I see you are a CEOP approved trainer so realise that it's unlikely you would feel comfortable sharing some of your material which has no doubt taken a fair bit of putting together but if you did happen to have any piointers to material I could use in my Primary School - especially for staff and parents I'd be much obliged.
    I need to edit what I have to remove material that you can only present as a trainer, but will put something together and post on here... give me a few days.

There are various people around - in the South East, I particularly recommend Murray Letham who will come in and speak to the kids and parents.

In Kent, the county e-safety Officer Rebecca Avery is also doing a great job - she trained me. You may find there's an equivalent with your LA.

Best of all, do as I did, get yourself on a course and learn to the full monty!

Thank Post
    Get yourself trained. This will give you access to the materials and there are regular courses around the country.

Child Exploitation & Online Protection Centre - internet safety - CEOP

6. Thanks to SteveT from:

superfletch (10th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Get yourself trained. This will give you access to the materials and there are regular courses around the country.

I whole heartedly agree. I did the ambassador training a while back and it was probably one of the best courses I've been on (and one of the most shocking). Well worth the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post

Absolutely
    Material is here: http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/resources.aspx... (Videos, presentations, exercises, trainers notes....)

Training Courses here: http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/training.aspx though your LA may also do some of this training.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th March 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another trainer here too ... I would heartily recommend it to all. I will be booking my update course soon and for Northants you can contact Caroline Moore for more support. The new primary Scheme of Work for ICT includes far more materials on eSafety than it ever has too.

We really like both the Kent and SWGfL materials and point people at those for additional information too.

Thank Post
    Hm. Maybe a couple of us here at Smoothie Central should go do CEOP training. Hmm hmm hmm.

Any comments from CEOP trained or otherwise folks on what we "technology" folk can do to help the "pastoral care" side of things greatly appreciated, as ever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Hm. Maybe a couple of us here at Smoothie Central should go do CEOP training. Hmm hmm hmm.

Any comments from CEOP trained or otherwise folks on what we "technology" folk can do to help the "pastoral care" side of things greatly appreciated, as ever.
    Tom, I think it would be educational if nothing else. You already go a long way to try and understand why we do what we do in schools. The e-Safety side becomes even more important once you've been trained. You realise and understand that it's about more than filtering.. go do it
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th March 2010 at 10:03 PM.

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

tom_newton (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    can I ask what the CEOP approved method of dealing with facebook and similar is in a college? should we be blocking it entirely and teaching about the dangers and correct usage. Or should we be allowing it and teaching about dangers etc?

Thank Post
    The Times today: Facebook accused over paedophile 'panic button' - Times Online

... and yes the CEOP button may not have prevented this happening, but nonetheless, I think it should be there.

We're putting it on our school website:
    Register your website here: CEOP Digital Assets Library
    and you will get a reply telling you that you can download the graphic

15. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

ButterflyMoon (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    can I ask what the CEOP approved method of dealing with facebook and similar is in a college? should we be blocking it entirely and teaching about the dangers and correct usage. Or should we be allowing it and teaching about dangers etc?
    Exact policy as I understand it is down to individual institutions, but the emphasis is on educating young people in safer internet use. Facebook is blocked in educational establishments for more than grooming worries; usually it's to do with helping the teachers to keep the little darlings on task.

You have to remember that if they can't access facebook on the college computers, they'll just use their mobile. You cannot completely stop them from using it. Personally, I'd say block it to stop time-wasting, but educate your students in how to be safe too. If that means unblocking it for a lesson so they can all check their privacy settings, all well and good!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    unfortunately in our circumstances we dont control the blocking systems. I suggested to our ICT teachers that I could find and setup a local (lan) social networking site (i imagine such things exist) to teach and illustrate the value of security settings etc but I don't think they really understood what I was getting at

Thank Post
    the best time to get the message across is in primary school/year 7 or 8. i know from experience (as the year 11/12/13 getting the speech) that we ignore it cause we all think that wont happen to us, weve been using facebook for ages its okay etc....

by far the best/most eye opening thing was in one of my computing lessons, i had the NM as a teacher for A-Level computing and we spent one lesson discussing e-safety. for this lesson he lifted the filtering on his laptop and we sat there, registered to facebook and looked at our profiles, which we thought where private.

19. Thanks to Arcath from:

elsiegee40 (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    the best time to get the message across is in primary school/year 7 or 8. i know from experience (as the year 11/12/13 getting the speech) that we ignore it cause we all think that wont happen to us, weve been using facebook for ages its okay etc....

by far the best/most eye opening thing was in one of my computing lessons, i had the NM as a teacher for A-Level computing and we spent one lesson discussing e-safety. for this lesson he lifted the filtering on his laptop and we sat there, registered to facebook and looked at our profiles, which we thought where private.
    I always suggest people try 123people.com | free people search, find the public records of everyone

Enter your name (or your posting name) and find out how much other people can see about you on the internet. hopefully the results aren't too terrifying, but I have seen the fraudster's dream about some people... name, address, phone number, mother's maiden (facebook ), more than enough to ring up and convince a bank that you are the owner of that nicked credit card.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast