+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What would you ask? in General; I've been asked to form part of a Q&A session taking place as part of the new Head Teacher interviews. ...
    Thank Post

What would you ask?

I've been asked to form part of a Q&A session taking place as part of the new Head Teacher interviews. I've been asked to raise a question relating to IT, support staff or both.

I have a vague idea what to ask, just not how to word it yet

If you had the opportunity to raise a question to a HT candidate what would that question be?

Thank Post
    I think I'd want to know how valuable he thought the IT Support team were within a school environment, and to know how he would support that team during his term as headteacher.

3. 2 Thanks to Hightower:

alan-d (8th March 2010), bossman (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    I would ask "How would you support ALL staff including support staff in obtaining immediate access to IT and training?".

5. Thanks to smadison from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I think I'd want to know how valuable he thought the IT Support team were within a school environment, and to know how he would support that team during his term as headteacher.
    Pretty much the same here how much they value the use of in house IT Support.

7. Thanks to EvLPhenom from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Pretty much what hightower said... Whats is his/her opinion on managed services? I.E should I be looking for a job

9. Thanks to apeo from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    How do you see IT within the School changing over the next 12-24 months with emphasis on (managed services/new technologies/changes in the curriculum/New teaching methods/Service integration)? Choose whichever you feel most strongly about or pick a couple to throw at the candidate.

Thanks

James

11. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd ask a question alluding to training needs of all staff, and see if they can come back with an answer that means they are thinking about support staff as well as teachers, gives you an idea if they are thinking of everyone or if they have a teacher centric view. i asked these sorts of qs as a gov when i was on the head panel interview.
    as you know the school has more staff than just teachers, how would you envisage the continued professional development of all staff in the school if you were to become the headmaster/mistress

if all you get is a bunch of instet days suggestion you know that they hare just thinking teachers, if they actually mention training and other professional qualifications you may be onto a winner...

13. Thanks to k-strider from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Can I get a raise?"

Seriously though, if the tone of the session is right, I would ask for examples of them showing commitment to IT. I have been involved in a few interviews and lots of people know the right words to say but actually asking for examples is very telling.

15. Thanks to sparkeh from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    How much money he would give you to buy toys?

but i would suggest that something along the lines of how important do you think IT is to the development of the school, and what things have you seen that you would like to introduce to the school or something like that!

17. Thanks to glennda from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Some good questions there

Another I may consider is;

The school currently has a scheme in place giving aspiring head teachers an opportunity to join the SMT for a term. Would you consider a similar scheme for support staff, and how would you make it work?

Too evil perhaps?

Thank Post
    I'd ask "What would you say to a member of SLT when they instruct me to do a task that breaks current policies & procedures that we have agreed?"

Note the bitter & twisted tone...

20. 2 Thanks to SpuffMonkey:

alan-d (8th March 2010), GrumbleDook (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd be more interested in his/her general opinion to ICT in school. How they see it effecting cross-curricular subjects. It's overall importance to teaching and learning. With a nod to their view on budgeting requirements.

If you get a good head who values ICT then that pretty much answer all other questions re managed services, work prioritys, etc.

On the other hand if they don't view ICT as a priority then you pretty much know were you stand.

22. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

alan-d (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    What have you implented in previsous schools in relation to ICT and it's development for the whole school? It's easy to say all the right things and promote the use of ICT in school(at interview), but harder to demonstrate it. You could follow it up with what restrictions where in place in your previous school which limited the development of ICT etc(and/or how would they address it). You should be able to see if people are aware that problems exist outside of the IT support staff.

24. 2 Thanks to penfold:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    How do you see IT within the School changing over the next 12-24 months with emphasis on (managed services/new technologies/changes in the curriculum/New teaching methods/Service integration)? Choose whichever you feel most strongly about or pick a couple to throw at the candidate.

Thanks

James
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    What have you implented in previsous schools in relation to ICT and it's development for the whole school? It's easy to say all the right things and promote the use of ICT in school(at interview), but harder to demonstrate it. You could follow it up with what restrictions where in place in your previous school which limited the development of ICT etc(and/or how would they address it). You should be able to see if people are aware that problems exist outside of the IT support staff.
    I was involved in the HT interviews recently, as an IT governor, and these are the sort of questions I asked.

The answers were quite revealing - in fact the winning candidate made it quite clear that he wasnt or didnt expect to be an expert in terms of IT and IT support, but that he knew who had the expertise in the school and would listen and consult with them. He felt that his role was to interact with outside agencies/LA/Govt to make sure that the school kept up and got the best of whatever was going

26. 2 Thanks to witch:

Thank Post
    Please point to the "NE" key on this keyboard, and tell me what its use is in relation to a password strength requirement of 8 keys, one of which should be a number or character, and should use both upper and lower cases.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information