+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, MSDN Operating Systems? in General; Does any one personally subscribe to MSDN Operating Systems to run systems at home?...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSDN Operating Systems?

Does any one personally subscribe to MSDN Operating Systems to run systems at home?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 2,131 Posts
    If you just need access to Microsoft operating systems then a TechNet Plus Direct subscription would be significantly cheaper (£283.14 vs £567.61 once you include the 21% VAT). I have one myself (since school wouldn't pay for it ) and find it invaluable for learning and testing stuff out at home.

By the way, you can use currently use promotion code TNWIN7L to get 28% off a new subscription which would make it £204.04 inc. VAT.
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th March 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Thank Post
    I've been considering getting a subscription for the same reason. Is the difference between the subscription levels that one allows access to forums, white papers etc., or are there other benefits from the more expensive subscription?

BTW Arthur, when did VAT change to 21%?

Finally, you mentioned the promotional code. What's the situation about such codes? I thought that they were issued to particular groups (such as company employees, those who've passed a particular exam etc.) and could be used only by those to whom the code was issued.

Thank Post
    I might also be looking in to getting one, as I often test operating systems and software the need for lots of keys and software packages is growing. I will keep an eye on this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How does this compare to tchnet / msdn ?

https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/pro...k/mapscontents

Is anyone using this ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    I've been considering getting a subscription for the same reason. Is the difference between the subscription levels that one allows access to forums, white papers etc., or are there other benefits from the more expensive subscription?
    MSDN subscriptions are primarily aimed at developers, while TechNet is typically for system and network administrators. Unless you want to write and test software or drivers at home then I see zero reason to choose MSDN over TechNet. Both will give you access to forums, a downloadable copy of the TechNet (or MSDN) Library, two free technical support incidents per year and access to their online concierge (among other things). The Action Pack which RabbieBurns mentioned is for businesses who sell and support Microsoft products only. Some other differences between the subscriptions are listed here.

When did VAT change to 21%?
    Unfortunately you have to pay Irish VAT. I think the reason Microsoft give for this, is that the data centre you download their software from is located in Ireland.

Finally, you mentioned the promotional code. What's the situation about such codes?
    I have not seen any restrictions on promo codes myself. I always get a code from them when it is time to renew my subscription and they widely publicise the codes on their websites, forums and blogs. If you check the T&Cs at the bottom of this page you will see it's fine to use them yourself.
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th March 2010 at 05:24 PM.

7. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

Ignatius (7th March 2010), RabbieBurns (7th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    * If you’re a new subscriber, get 28 per cent off a TechNet Plus Direct subscription.
    Offer closes 31st March 2010 (promo code: TNWIN7L)

Whats the best way to subscribe via school purchase order?

Ben

Thank Post
    IIRC, you can only use credit cards on their website. You may be able to use a purchase order if you give them a call on 0800 281 221 but I have never tried this myself. Another alternative would be to get the school to purchase it through a Microsoft reseller such as GreyMatter, but then you lose the ability to use the promo code.

By the way, anyone thinking of subscribing may find the following links useful. The first lists everything you get in a TechNet subscription, while the second is a copy of the EULA you have to agree to when subscribing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb892756.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/eula
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th March 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Not likely to get it authorised before end of march any so thanks for the links.

Ben

Thank Post
    I reckon there will be another promo code shortly after that one expires. There usually is.

t_h
    Thank Post
    I got mine through Ramesys and it was significantly cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Thank Post
    @Arthur - thank you for the additional information.

I know that there has been discussion about a further VAT increase beyond 17.5% and wondered if you knew something that I didn't!

As far as the promotional code is concerned, I have seen codes for various software, training packages etc. on fora and have always steered away from them, fearing that the vendor would be able to trace a particular code back to me and then take some sort of "disciplinary" action. The comments above make me more comfortable about using the one that was posted. If I don't get my order processed before 31 March, I'll have a look around for the replacement code.

Finally, it's useful to see the software to which I'd have access. I had hoped that there might be earlier operating systems (such as XP Pro, SP0 or SP1) because one of my interests is system security and I would have liked to be able to examine the vulnerabilities that were available previously. I suspect that I could get the appropriate installation disks from eBay (etc.) but would have to be careful that they were original and not loaded with malware etc., although I'd plan to install the OS in a VM.

Thank Post
    I had hoped that there might be earlier operating systems (such as XP Pro, SP0 or SP1) because one of my interests is system security and I would have liked to be able to examine the vulnerabilities that were available previously.
    I agree, although it seems Microsoft are unable to provide some downloads due to legal issues. For example, they can't post ISOs for Windows 98, ME or XP with SP1 due to the lawsuit they had with Sun over Java. I can only download XP with SP2 or SP3 integrated with my subscription, although I don't see why they couldn't provide RTM and SP1a ISOs too since these do not include Java.

Btw, if your company/school has volume licensing agreement with Microsoft which includes a TechNet subscription then you can download the RTM version of Windows XP Pro without any service packs.

Another neat trick I've found if you are using VMware virtualization apps like Workstation, Fusion or ESX is the SMBIOS.reflectHost line you can add to your VMX files. This enables the hosts OEM ID in the BIOS to be visible to your VMs. Depending upon which OEM made your computer, this can let you to use the same OEM Windows re-installation disc which was supplied with your computer in a VM without any activation issues. I'm not sure if Microsoft would like you doing this though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread