+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 6 Music could be saved in General; About time Absolute Radio was given room on the FM band. I cannot stand the presenters or the music for ...
    Thank Post
    About time Absolute Radio was given room on the FM band.

I cannot stand the presenters or the music for that matter, being played on Radio 1. Not listened to 6 Music before, so I'd better hurry up and give it a try, if not for anything other than Adam & Joe.

(Reminisces about the old Adam 7 Joe show on Ch4)

Thank Post
    I think you need a pipe and slippers with that!

If your taste isn't to the majority then yes you tend to have to look elsewhere

"BBC 1 IS FULL OF MUCK, IT SHOULD BE THE MUSIC I LIKE!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    If I wanted to listen to dull presenters all day, I'd tune in to Radio 2 or some other station equally as dry. The difference with the people mentioned is that they're fun. They don't sit around talking about politics and how much the price of soup has gone up in Asda.
    Have you listened to Radio2 lately? I was plesently suprised when i put it on the other week to find them playing Acid Jazz, and warehouse type stuff - one of the songs was Barrie K Sharp Masterplan if your interested. About as far from dull and political as you can get i reckon!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Have you listened to Radio2 lately? I was plesently suprised when i put it on the other week to find them playing Acid Jazz, and warehouse type stuff - one of the songs was Barrie K Sharp Masterplan if your interested. About as far from dull and political as you can get i reckon!
    Yes.

BBC - Radio 2 - Shows & Presenters

Look. Where's the excitement there? Big Band? Sunday Love Songs? Oh please.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had a look at their A/B/C playlists online when I heard about the news. For all three station (1,2 and 6). Is that all they play? A bit boring and repetitive if you ask me! A prefer a bit more variety. My local station as a no repeat 9-5 and then theres my iPod. havent listened to repetitive bbc radio for years!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At one point I used to enjoy listening to the radio, usually local stations TFM and Galaxy. But they started playing rubbish music (I think they call it "R&B"), and spent more time playing jingles, ads and talking too much so I just stopped and turned more to digital music and CDs. So I pretty much gave up on radio.

I've been using Spotify for almost a year now when at a computer, and in the car I just stick a CD on. I usually discover new music through word of mouth, Last.fm, and other websites. Having said that, when I've had no choice but to hear Radio 2 I have discovered new artists before (e.g. back in 2007 when they played British Sea Power - No Lucifer).

I can see the value that 6 Music has, and agree that it is an area that the BBC should be concentrating on instead of the more costly niche Asian Network.

And what about Radio 3 & 4? How many listeners do they have vs. their budgets?

Interesting article from The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...y-media-policy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for last.fm. Pandora was really good for discovering new music - until they blocked UK access

Thank Post
    Yes.

BBC - Radio 2 - Shows & Presenters

Look. Where's the excitement there? Big Band? Sunday Love Songs? Oh please.
    So you've read the first few letters worth of shows and made an "informed" decision. If you had bothered to read the rest you would see there is real RnB, blues, 60s, 70s, zoe ball, jonathan ross, good old terry wogan...

Yep, all big band and sunday love songs

Fair enough, you like Radio Just 17. But why comment on a radio station which you have quite obviously never listened to? I dont particulaly like any of the genres mentioned, but its called variety, something Radio1 lost many many years ago.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 3rd March 2010 at 10:42 AM.

Thank Post
    I parp in your general direction, your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries! *french accent*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    So you've read the first few letters worth of shows and made an "informed" decision. If you had bothered to read the rest you would see there is real RnB, blues, 60s, 70s, zoe ball, jonathan ross, good old terry wogan...

Yep, all big band and sunday love songs

Fair enough, you like Radio Just 17. But why comment on a radio station which you have quite obviously never listened to?
    Actually, I have listened to them, they're quite often on in the office as other colleagues listen and since I spend a lot of time in here I can't help but listen.

I don't need 60s, was before I was born so chances are I wouldn't be able to sing along, same applies for 70s. There's enough Ross on television for me and Terry Wogan has a voice that can sends me to sleep.

There's nothing that appeals to me on there so I'll stick with the silly jingles and foolery on Radio 1 and if I want more serious I'll go for local radio.

Thank Post
    Where will Jon Richardson go if they scrap 6Music? He's brilliant!
    Agreed

You've not listened to Scott Mills or Chris Moyles then, or Greg James for that matter. All brilliant shows.
    Disagreed

Thank Post
    Ah, Radio 1 is slowly becoming the RM of EduGeek. Lets move on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you've not listed to 6 Music before, you can listen live here: BBC - Homepage and click on 6 music, Listen Live. Lauren Laverne is on ATM, and she plays some really good stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also think that one reason that many have never heard of it (apart from the lack of promotion from the Beeb) is that almosty everyone who listed to it was so happy with teh way it was run they didn't have anything to complain about (apart from the awful George Lamb, but he's gone now), so it never really got noticed outside of it's listeners.

Thank Post
    Anyway, 6Music must stay. It costs a pittance compared to other BBC stations and fulfills a niche that critically, no commercial offering can replicate.

Its the only place to hear a genuinely eclectic variety of music, ok they have a playlist like every other station but DJ's are allowed to play a lot more of whatever the hell they want than R1 and commercial competitors. And that makes it brilliant for anyone who likes to discover new and old music.

Nothing against R2 but it just doesnt cut it, its clearly aimed at a slightly older listener (and R1 at a slightly younger one) and unless it was changed substantially (which would understandably p*** off its own loyal listeners) it could never hope to be anything like 6music
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:04 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast