+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Sooo, i'm a 'network manager'! in General; Originally Posted by AIT Indeed there are 3 other members to our team. We manage 5 of our feeder primary ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Indeed there are 3 other members to our team. We manage 5 of our feeder primary schools as well.

Our servers range from linux to windows 2003 - 2008R2.

We have central monitoring software that runs statistics of running processes/log files. However other than that log into them and check there working ok. program is called "whats up gold". however there are open source versions that do the same job.
    Sounds interesting. It does seem that there a lot of other options out there other than RM CC£. Like I say I feel i'm too new to this kind've position to be saying 'let's outlaw RM'. But it seems to me it would be better in the long run to go with something less suffocating and then I could hopefully learn more valuable longterm skills and possibly save the school a lot of money.. Maybe i'm jumping the gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by majeeko View Post
    Ahh, a fellow Music tech guy that came to the dark side. Welcom to the club.
    Haha, thanks, I knew I wasn't alone

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeeching View Post
    Sounds interesting. It does seem that there a lot of other options out there other than RM CC£. Like I say I feel i'm too new to this kind've position to be saying 'let's outlaw RM'. But it seems to me it would be better in the long run to go with something less suffocating and then I could hopefully learn more valuable longterm skills and possibly save the school a lot of money.. Maybe i'm jumping the gun though.

Haha, thanks, I knew I wasn't alone
    not at all. get rid of the RM!!!! and do it yesterday....;-) my personal opinion on the matter...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I shall move this to general chat.
    Learning Network Manager is not a request, but a piece of software!
    Sorry dos, like I say, i'm learning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeeching View Post
    Sorry dos, like I say, i'm learning

use this time you have with ' RM doing it all' to learn everything .

Learn howto build active directory servers , wireles networks , file servers , exchange etc ..

You are going to need all this ! .. so then you can outlaw RM and set it all up yourself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    CBeeching is coming to my school tomorrow, so hopefully I can give a demo on setting up ADUC etc

Give him a helpful start in his career

Thank Post
    Hi Charles,

I'm 25 and have been a network manager for 2 years.

CC4 is the way to go if you are on a network manager. It supports XP/Vista and Windows 7. It will take time to upgrade but XP wont be around forever so you must plan to upgrade the network soon. Maybe some of the workstations have upgrade licenses already - check with RM. CC4 has been around a long time and the major bugs have been ironed out. The tools that come with it will be very useful to you as well in running the network.

Also I woulc think very carefully about going completely wireless. Laptops are more vulnerable than desktops. They can get moved, knocked off stolen etc much more easily. Also if they belong to a teacher and they are off sick or leave it at home what happens then? No interactive whiteboard???

Make sure you read and update all ICT policies. You will get an overview of what needs doing. Get ideas from the supprt comapnies on how to manage software and licenses, backups and passwords, user acounts, shared areas, filtering and e-mails.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverentCreature View Post
    Hi Charles,

CC4 is the way to go if you are on a network manager. It supports XP/Vista and Windows 7.
    RM / CC4 is not the way to go IMO. Vanilla supports all those O/S as well! RM is just the easy way out!

8. Thanks to danrhodes from:

nephilim (24th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    RM / CC4 is not the way to go IMO. Vanilla supports all those O/S as well! RM is just the easy way out!
    I second this motion! CC4 is a cop out, and IMO if you CHOOSE to use it (rather than being force to use it), it shows a lack of skill on your behalf, you can do everything on a vanilla network, just involves learning rather than having it on a plate for you.

*Cue the rants about my comment!*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    cbeeching is very lucky to be called Network Manager - hope he gets the money to go with it!
    My best piece of advice is this:
    DO ring support, and try and find a friendly support guy who will talk you through what he is doing. Make notes. LOTS of notes and keep them filed appropriately both in your user area and also on real paper (for those moments when you can't access the file!!).
    I came into this 9 years ago with very old qualifications in electronics and radio, and I wouldn't have got where I am without the help of the support line in my first school. If they are sensible, they SHOULD be happy to talk you through it as it means less bother for them if you can fix the small stuff.
    Edugeek is your other life-line. Search for anything and everything and you will find help. You will even get people talking you through stuff either on the phone or via PM - it's amazing how people are prepared to give up their time to help you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    *nephilim - a managed system (RM or whatever) can be very useful when you ARE just starting out and know very little about the way a network is set up

Thank Post
    I agree with Dan, RM CC$ does make some jobs easier/quicker, but it's not "the way forward", it doesn't really offer much that a Vanilla network can't do/be 'pursuaded' to do plus, I personally think it's better to have the pupils using a 'real' computer environment like regular Windows and not a re-created version tailored to them, as it won't serve them later on if all they know is how to use your specific 'brand' of user account.

If you do decide to ditch RM CC$, then be sure that you *know* what you need to do to make the changeover smooth and as un-noticable as possible for your end users.

Also, don't knock the fact that you don't have to support everything; trust me, IT jobs tend to grow as time goes on and if your school is anything like mine then in 3 years time you'll hardly recognise they job you are doing now as it has changed/grown so much, so enjoy the less-stress now while it lasts!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    CBeeching is coming to my school tomorrow, so hopefully I can give a demo on setting up ADUC etc

Give him a helpful start in his career
    Yeah, thanks for that Neph, am looking forward to it, hopefully I will learn a few things/get some ideas - that's if we don't spend the time discussing Bad Company 2, but then we might have some tips to swap on that too.. haha..

Quote Originally Posted by ReverentCreature View Post
    Hi Charles,

I'm 25 and have been a network manager for 2 years.

CC4 is the way to go if you are on a network manager. It supports XP/Vista and Windows 7. It will take time to upgrade but XP wont be around forever so you must plan to upgrade the network soon. Maybe some of the workstations have upgrade licenses already - check with RM. CC4 has been around a long time and the major bugs have been ironed out. The tools that come with it will be very useful to you as well in running the network.

Also I woulc think very carefully about going completely wireless. Laptops are more vulnerable than desktops. They can get moved, knocked off stolen etc much more easily. Also if they belong to a teacher and they are off sick or leave it at home what happens then? No interactive whiteboard???

Make sure you read and update all ICT policies. You will get an overview of what needs doing. Get ideas from the supprt comapnies on how to manage software and licenses, backups and passwords, user acounts, shared areas, filtering and e-mails.
    That's interesting.. I haven't seen many pro-RM posts on here! I actually had a sales representative come in to my school (which I forgot I had booked, as it was sort've thrown upon me over the phone in my first month working at the school..). He was telling me all the benefits of CC4 etc, warning me that change was imminent. I listened to all he had to say - because like I say, i'm new to this game, and i'm trying to take in everything before I start pretending I know what i'm on about.

I did get the feeling he was making CC4 out to be THE only way to go. He didn't once mention any other choices (I mean, why would he, he's a sales representative for RM!). He mentioned that I would have to be careful as if I bought new machines in the future (like next academic year) I wouldn't be able to get XP on them and then our CC3 server wouldn't support them etc.. not sure how true that is? I know XP is getting on a bit now, but I was pretty sure it would be available for atleast a few more years yet..

That's my predicament really, as at the end of the day, i've got my local support team telling me RM is the best way to go, and RM, and that's all this school has ever really known. Plus I don't want to leave the school in the pooper if I make a decision to steer away from RM and then am unable to support it due to my own inadequacies. I understand why the local team is advising RM as well, since i'm the only member of IT staff in-house, so what happens if I leave, and don't have a standard system in place etc..

It's all a bit confusing. But i'm learning slowly...

Hah, and in terms of my head wanting to go ALL laptops, yeah don't worry, I can feel the pain already!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I second this motion! CC4 is a cop out, and IMO if you CHOOSE to use it (rather than being force to use it), it shows a lack of skill on your behalf, you can do everything on a vanilla network, just involves learning rather than having it on a plate for you.

*Cue the rants about my comment!*
    No rants from me nephilim I agree totally, I think choosing to go with RM if you have a choice does show a lack of skill and lazyness, once it's installed, to manage it it's just click this button click that button all laid out in front of you, they provide you with a console as they don't like you going into AD, where is the fun in that!

Vanilla is definatly the way to go, if you want to loose touch with your AD and GP skills and slowly stagnate as your not keeping up with the current software then RM is for you, the minute you move from an RM network you will be in well over your head and not be able to do the things you are required to, purely because you will have become lax with having it so easy using the RM stuff.

Rant over!

D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    cbeeching is very lucky to be called Network Manager - hope he gets the money to go with it!
    Unfortunately not...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    No rants from me nephilim I agree totally, I think choosing to go with RM if you have a choice does show a lack of skill and lazyness, once it's installed, to manage it it's just click this button click that button all laid out in front of you, they provide you with a console as they don't like you going into AD, where is the fun in that!

Vanilla is definatly the way to go, if you want to loose touch with your AD and GP skills and slowly stagnate as your not keeping up with the current software then RM is for you, the minute you move from an RM network you will be in well over your head and not be able to do the things you are required to, purely because you will have become lax with having it so easy using the RM stuff.

Rant over!

D
    Absolutley agree.. if you want to move OUT of education at any point, experience "managing" an RM network would be virtually useless as a bargaining point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast