+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Freeview (Digital terrestrial) PVR to Network in General; Does anyone know of boxed product that would allow me to record freeview ala DVR but would then make it ...

Thank Post

Freeview (Digital terrestrial) PVR to Network

Does anyone know of boxed product that would allow me to record freeview ala DVR but would then make it really easy to offer those files over the local network?

I'm thinking of building a Windows MCE box but I'd need to setup MCE clients. Is there a product that would offer a webpage? or a linux solution I know of Mythbuntu but haven't used it.

cheers..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    You should take a look at Hauppauge or similar products for that sort of thing

3. Thanks to Michael from:

chazzy2501 (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    I've used Mythbuntu, it's a really good product if you can get it running properly, as with most things Linux is not usually a simple install and go.

On the MCE route, if you had the TV Card on the server PC and shared the 'Recorded Programs' (or something like that folder) on the network, then set up the client PC's to default there own 'Recorded Programs' folder to the server share, that *should* show any programs in their library as though they had recorded them.

I've never tried that so it's purely a theory.

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    Yeah, a PCI Freeview card shouldn't set you back too much, and should record you a lovely MPEG file.

You may need to do some quick changes to the file, depending upon the card you get and the software you want to play it back with -some Freeview tuners/software simply record the transport streams directly from the air, which not all software can play back MPEG-TS (I've had success playing MPEG-TS files with VLC).

MPEG StreamClip is capable of converting MPEG-TS to a regular MPEG-PS (program stream) that regular MPEG2-capable software will play.
    All it does is 're-package' the file (it does not re-encode it), so it only takes as long to convert as it does to write out the video to a new file on disk.

Hauppauge and Pinnacle make some decent PC cards. If you're a Mac person, check out the EyeTV range of tuners.

Be aware, the datarate for a decent channel (BBC stations, ITV1, C4 etc) can be as much as 2GB/hr. Other channels (Dave and the like) use lower datarates/resolutions.

7. Thanks to dayzd from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Does anyone know of boxed product that would allow me to record freeview ala DVR but would then make it really easy to offer those files over the local network?
    Yep, ClickView. The company's Australian but they do operate in the UK too, they had a stand at BETT this year. They offer various products at various prices, and some solutions might also have an annual licensing cost. Bear in mind you will also need an ERA / ERA+ license, payable annually, to be able to redistribute videos you record around your school.

--
    David Hicks

9. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post

HD Homerun

You should check out the HD Homerun! Built by a company called SiliconDust, here is the link to the product:

products/hdhomerun_dvbt - Silicondust

We bought one from here:

.::OneVideo::. SiliconDust HD Homerun dual DVB-T

For £119 you can't go wrong. They work a treat, and we have actually configured ours so that it works with MediaPortal. We are still in the testing phase really, but in terms of it doing what it says on the box, it does, and does it very well.

11. Thanks to ict-lakelands from:

Thank Post
    My new Telly will do it. I've just been playing and it will record MPEG2 straight to the USB port. I've just put a sample straight into Premiere Elements no problem.

The only downside is that it's FAT so I'm not sure how it is going to manage anything greater than 32GB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    My new Telly will do it. I've just been playing and it will record MPEG2 straight to the USB port. I've just put a sample straight into Premiere Elements no problem.

The only downside is that it's FAT so I'm not sure how it is going to manage anything greater than 32GB.
    That's a cool trick - what TV do you have?!

As that'll probably turn out to be about 16 hours of tv, I'd be surprised if you ever found out! I expect it'd chop files into 2/4GB chunks.

If it's FAT32 you're referring to, the size limitation of 32GB is an XP restriction (apparently large FAT32 volumes can be slow) as FAT32 can theoretically be used on a 2TB volume!
    [ File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post

I'm thinking of building a Windows MCE box but I'd need to setup MCE clients. Is there a product that would offer a webpage? or a linux solution I know of Mythbuntu but haven't used it.

cheers..
    im setting up a mythtv box right now, i have just installed ubuntu server so now i have to sit and get the mythtv stuff working!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abullett View Post
    That's a cool trick - what TV do you have?!
    TVs from ~£130 upwards are now having USB Record Functionality. Tesco's newer own brand TV's have this function, and I think Aldi were selling a 19" version last week.

Functionallity (may) vary from model to model, and the recorded file format may / not play back on a different device.

I don't know much about this model, but Grundig do a USB Freeview PVR for around £60.00 with 3 USB Ports. Only 1 Tuner mind.

You could go to other extreme and look at PVRs made by Topfield or Dreambox. (Linux Based)

Avforums is a good place to start getting more information.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 26th February 2010 at 09:03 AM.

16. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

chazzy2501 (26th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread