+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Broadband Tax in General; BBC News - Broadband tax condemned as 'unfair' by MPs Looks like the government are worrying about the real important ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 818 Posts

Broadband Tax

BBC News - Broadband tax condemned as 'unfair' by MPs

Looks like the government are worrying about the real important issues again, because we all need faster broadband at home.

Anybody else wish they lived in a country that spent more time tackling real problems?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Broadband access *is* a real problem. Online services will allow the government to reduce the amount of money it has to put into services such as phone lines and call centres - thus reducing costs.

Access to internet is as important as access to transport now.

Thank Post
    It is a problem for me, I live in a rural area and get 3Mb/s at most. Looking at the average speed tests on speedtest.net the UK comes 40th, beaten by latvia, romania. I'd rather they spent money on getting the UK a modern fast infrastructure then spending it on the olympics, or giving every unemployed person a laptop.

4. Thanks to TronXP from:

AIT (23rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    It is a problem for me, I live in a rural area and get 3Mb/s at most. Looking at the average speed tests on speedtest.net the UK comes 40th, beaten by latvia, romania. I'd rather they spent money on getting the UK a modern fast infrastructure then spending it on the olympics, or giving every unemployed person a laptop.
    Equally unimportant issues in my books.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see broadband internet access as a priority, not while we have such a high rate of unemployment, teen pregnancy and homelessness in this country.

But hey, if we have decent internet connections, everything else will sort itself out won't it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Equally unimportant issues in my books.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see broadband internet access as a priority, not while we have such a high rate of unemployment, teen pregnancy and homelessness in this country.

But hey, if we have decent internet connections, everything else will sort itself out won't it?

I agree. There are for more important issues that the Government needs to be sorting. Yes, I can see their point when it comes to business and helping growth but first things first. Also, I think it's a little unfair that people who get a decent speed have to pay a tax so the government can give others a decent speed. Probably sounds selfish, but in todays climate I'm a little sick of paying out to help others every two minutes.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    1Mb is enough surely!!

Broadband Tax - I p!$$ all over it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    It is a problem for me, I live in a rural area and get 3Mb/s at most. Looking at the average speed tests on speedtest.net the UK comes 40th, beaten by latvia, romania.
    That fast! I'm lucky to get 1.5Mb/s

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't suppose it will happen, but in my dream world the tax would not just provide broadband but help to solve some of the more important problems as well.

To make it happen isn't just a case of keying in magic codes at a few exchanges - it needs fibre laying down pretty much every street.

Doing that means we have to employ people to do real work - digging trenches, laying fibre etc - for which we pay them a real wage. With that real wage they can then go and rent or buy a decent home and suddenly 2 of the problems that face the UK have at least a bit of a solution.

Of course, it may not happen but it would be good to see a government using tax in a really creative way.

Thank Post
    the tax is total pish... we live over 6 miles from the nearest exchance and are classed as 'semi rural' we get less than half a meg all the time, the highest speeds weve ever seen was a 72kb download speed...

for us its become a running joke on the estate, but bt REFUSE to do anything about it even though there are several hundred houses becasue of the cost, even with this tax i doubt we'd see any difference in speed...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Doing that means we have to employ people to do real work - digging trenches, laying fibre etc - for which we pay them a real wage. With that real wage they can then go and rent or buy a decent home and suddenly 2 of the problems that face the UK have at least a bit of a solution..
    All of which should be done by the ISP's with the cost coming from their astronomical profits paid for by subscribers who will benefit from it and not out of the tax payers pockets (regardless of whether they use it or not)

Thank Post
    i think it will cost a considerable amount just to deliver on the 2mbps target.

Maybe they should ensure they can deliver on this and then take stock. In the meantime i can think of lots of more worthwhile expenditure that isn't being addressed.

For one thing, new house building appears to be shockingly short of target. They could always commit to spending to drive investment in that area......

Thank Post
    It is not just rural users that get cr*p speeds...

I live on the edge of a fairly large town (about 3km from the exchange) but the best I can get through the phone is about 1/2 to 1Mb

Luckily the our area is cabled so I get 10Mb through that...

And while I am ranting...why if broadband access is such a necessity the cabling etc. not built into new houses?
    Last edited by CESIL; 23rd February 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    In a way i want teh BB tax so that the infrastructure can be sorted for everyone. But at the same time i dont see why i should pay so that people who have choose to live in the country, away from the disadvantages of urban life, can also have the advantages of urban life.

Should people in the country pay a tax so that i can have country wildlife and supplies of fresh air shipped to my street?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 23rd February 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You do all realise that companies look at things like infrastructure when looking at starting up/moving to a new location. If the country doesn't have adequate infrastructure, they won't make much profit and therefore don't operate in said country. This means less new jobs and less growth.

How would you propose the government gets unemployment levels to fall if they can't encourage people to use the country for their operations. Growth is what fuels new jobs...

This country has a major issue regarding manufacture and where it can make money. Banking is not a suitable industry to base your economy on, as this recession has just shown. Our manufacturing industry is pretty much a mess, but we do have a lot of talent in terms of high-tech, rolling out of universities etc... We are ideally suited to become a 'digital economy' (horrible phrase I know, but it fits), where we focus on technology as our main cash cow. Internet infrastructure is the base of this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    It is not just rural users that get cr*p speeds...

I live on the edge of a fairly large town (about 3km from the exchange) but the best I can get through the phone is about 1/2 to 1Mb

Luckily the our area is cabled so I get 10Mb through that...

And while I am ranting...why if broadband access is such a necessity the cabling etc. not built into new houses?
    I'm in a new house and I can't get cable broadband or there telly package ( from what I can gather ) from virgin media yet I keep constantly getting the flyers about swapping over to virgin media ggrrrrr

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast