We have had a number of E-Mails arrive in Staff inboxes today with the following invitation:

Check out my photos on Facebook

Hi,

I set up a Facebook profile where I can post my pictures, videos and events and I want to add you as a friend so you can see it. First, you need to join Facebook! Once you join, you can also create your own profile.

Thanks,

T***
[The Facebook details and the identity of the sender have been removed]

OK. Not difficult to see that this is but what concerns me a little more is that he is targeting the messages to groups of individuals in the school [not very accurately I must say: One person targeted left three years ago]

That having been said the data is no longer on the website, that was taken down a while ago.

The sender's name is not a former Student or member of Staff [although I guess that does not indicate much either as he/she could use any name]

Is anyone else getting this nuisance mail? Is it targeted to your school in a similar way?

I ask because I want to tell our staff:
  1. To delete the messages without opening them.
  2. That they are Spam and as such should not be considered as genuine in any way.
  3. Other schools/organisations are getting these messages and thus allay any fears that we specifically are being targeted.
As I say I am surprised at the attempt to appear genuine by putting current/former Staff in the body of the message.

Many thanks.