+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Benefits or low income..... in General; Originally Posted by ICT_GUY Dont worry the debt will be constantly devalued through inflation and the diluting of the pound! ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Dont worry the debt will be constantly devalued through inflation and the diluting of the pound!
    How true, sok though - I look forward to the day we 'skip' the Euro and everyone starts using the US Dollar instead.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    So with pay levels remaining static we won't soon be able to afford luxuries, like housing, or food.
    with pay levels static, and inflation at 3%+, what are people doing ?

Looking at inflation hedges for their savings probably.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'll tell that to my kids when they're paying it off.
    All governments borrow money - it's hardly new that this government has borrowed money.

It's also one of the myths that they didn't save money when the going was good - they brought down national debt massively during the late 90's early 00's (I think it was under this government that we finally paid off the debt accrued during the second world war!)

It's easy for evil lying politicians to slag each other off and for us to join in the fun but it doesn't actually help anyone to understand what's going on and what needs doing.

We can criticise this government for selling off some gold reserves but let's not forget that Thatcher sold off just about everything the country owned (telecoms, gas, electricity, water, trains, council houses, etc etc) - all at knockdown prices so that city boys could get rich.

Osborne yesterday was suggesting that we should now do the same with the banks we currently own. If we hold onto them for the next five or so years we should be able to sell them off for massively more than we paid for them which will do a lot to reduce the debt without anyone's children paying a penny. Instead, Osborne wants to make sure that more of his cronies will get richer than ever by buying bank shares on the cheap and then reaping the rewards when the prices rise.

4. 2 Thanks to srochford:

mattx (22nd February 2010), triggmiester (22nd February 2010)

Thank Post

Well it's true they did reduce debt from 1997-2000 but then only to 1991 levels. Since 2001 it has been rising.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The entire political system is designed around keeping a certain class/group of people in power. The kind of people who go to Eton and end up as an MP via the families that have always been in power...

It is very difficult for a new party, or a new person, to get into politics - they are just marginalised as a pointless vote.

How many people do you know who have said they support one party but won't vote for them because 'its a wasted vote'? I know loads of them who want to support the Lib Dems, or the Greens but won't.

We need proper constitutional reform in this country to get ourselves out of this rut.
    But brown didn't go to Eton.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Most MP's did not go to Eton. However most Tory MP's went to a private school.

意umber of Tory MPs: 198
    意umber who attended private school (independent or public): 112
    意umber who attended a grammar: 46
    意umber who attended a comprehensive: 27
    意umber who attended a secondary modern: 2
    意umber who attended an undefined state school: 11
    意umber whose school's status is unknown: 1
    意umber who refused to disclose: 1

http://www.freebase.com/view/base/uk...o_went_to_eton

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Osborne yesterday was suggesting that we should now do the same with the banks we currently own. If we hold onto them for the next five or so years we should be able to sell them off for massively more than we paid for them which will do a lot to reduce the debt without anyone's children paying a penny. Instead, Osborne wants to make sure that more of his cronies will get richer than ever by buying bank shares on the cheap and then reaping the rewards when the prices rise.
    the govt. selling the bank shares at a massive profit makes naff all difference to me or my children, and my children's children for that matter. That's not how govt. spending and govt. finances work.

Whereas if the govt. sells me discounted shares, and if i have the finances to buy [and why wouldn't i given the govt. want to toast my bank savings ] and if as you say they take off massively in value, then i, and my children, are on to a winner... no ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Ah, but Blair went to a private school, and was the actual elected PM until he handed the role over to his friend.

So Brown is a small anomaly, but traceable back to back scratching to get into power.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, but Blair went to a private school, and was the actual elected PM until he handed the role over to his friend.

So Brown is a small anomaly, but traceable back to back scratching to get into power.
    But that's not how our political system works - or as ever worked! We vote for our local representitive in parlament not for the prime minister. The political parties vote amongst themselves for a leader and the party with the most representitives form a Government for 4-5years. The parties can vote for a new leader anytime they like, and if that party is in Government then their leader is Prime Minister.

I'm not a Brownite supporter, infact my allegance has shifted a little from Labour full stop. However I never did like this argument and do believe Brown got the job fair and square.

I suppose it would be good if we had a more presidental system with the Executive voted for seperatly from lower house rather than being made up, primarily, of it's members.

Thank Post

Blair went to Fettes College an exclusive Private School in Edinburgh.

Brown was educated at Kirkcaldy West Primary School where he was selected for an experimental fast stream education programme, which took him two years early to Kirkcaldy High School for an academic hothouse education taught in separate classes. He scored five straight A grades in his Highers, just after his 15th birthday, played the violin in the school orchestra, and was an enthusiastic member of the literary and debating societies.

So in practice Brown was educated to a similar standard as the top Public Schools, he definitely did not have your typical state comprehensive experience.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    But that's not how our political system works - or as ever worked! We vote for our local representitive in parlament not for the prime minister. The political parties vote amongst themselves for a leader and the party with the most representitives form a Government for 4-5years. The parties can vote for a new leader anytime they like, and if that party is in Government then their leader is Prime Minister.
    Yes, and the local representatives appear from where? The party puts them forward. Just because we don't vote for our prime minister, doesn't mean people don't vote by party lines rather than for individual people.

I suppose it would be good if we had a more presidental system with the Executive voted for seperatly from lower house rather than being made up, primarily, of it's members.
    Just having representation proportional to what people vote for would be nice...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just having representation proportional to what people vote for would be nice...
    One of the reasons I'm turning toward Lib Dem on May 6th

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    (I think it was under this government that we finally paid off the debt accrued during the second world war!)
    It was a 50 year loan, so I could have been in charge and it would have been paid off. (With 6 years throught with no payment)

The debt from WW1 is still unpaid, but this is a history lesson on it's own.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Glad to hear it, what I don't understand is how someone who say used to vote Labour, suddenly votes Tory !! [ Although there is VERY little difference between them these days ] as the OLD Labour party with good social values is now almost dead in the water......
    I have no idea who I shall be voting for [ certainly not for the complete toss pot Eton Boy Dave who has NEVER done a hard days work in his life and who is claiming massive amounts of expenses on his current mortgage when he is in fact stinking rich already ] - I'll read both the Lib Dems and Labour's Manifesto when they are printed and will make up my mind then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wish more people would do that. Labour and the Conservatives need a good kick in the shin I reckon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast