+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Gurus? Which one? in General; Need a new *good* telly and 37" is probably about right. Was looking at these two today: * Panasonic TX-L37G10B ...

Thank Post

TV Gurus? Which one?

Need a new *good* telly and 37" is probably about right. Was looking at these two today:

* Panasonic TX-L37G10B
    * Sony KDL-37W5810 (which currently comes with free BluRay player).

Same kind of features[1] and in a shop I couldn't really tell the difference - any one got any opinions on either of them or a more sensible alternative.

Also there was a much cheaper 42" LG 42LF7000 and the picture on that looked just as good to me. Too much choice, too little clue. Help!

[1] Unless anyone knows better I think I want built-in FreeSat.

Thank Post
    Always the Panasonic , generally they do not go wrong seem to be the most reliable brand in the Plasma and LCD TV scene. avforums.com might be able to help you more. I have 2 Pannys and would not touch any other brand.

Thank Post
    Yeah, Panasonic for me :-)
    There are models with freeview HD integrated just starting to come onto the market, which uses your normal TV aerial rather than satellite dish, but wont give you HD until the digital switchover hits your area.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quick look at Which? Online

The Panasonic is a Best Buy; they haven't tested the specific Sony that you want, but the equivalent model in a different size is also a Best Buy.... but the Sony gets a lower overall score and lower score for it's HD Picture quality.

Thank Post
    Panasonic here as well. Mine is an older non HD 42" screen but the picture is awesome. HD next though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Pansonic. They make some cracking screens. Had a PDW6 for 6 which gave to my sis a few months ago. Awsome quaility panel. Agree with taking a look over on avforums - that place is the EduGeek of the AV world.

Thank Post
    Read lots of avforums and elsewhere.
    Went round and round in circles.
    None the wiser.
    :curses::

Half the problem in comparing is the newness of the Sony model.. and I'm trying hard to convince myself that's ok coz a) it's cheaper, b) get a BR player (don't have one), c) it does DNLA so although I likely won't, the knowing I could play with that tech thing is tugging at me.

the equivalent model in a different size
    Was it the KDL-32V5810? If so then that's a 50Hz not a 100Hz model, a feature which for me makes a *lot* of difference (the old telly is a 100Hz CRT).

[I'm one of those people that sees flicker where others often can't - used to do a lot of increasing people's too low PC CRT monitor refresh rates.]
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 21st February 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Personally I'm quite a big fan of Samsung's. The quality is on par if not better than Sony specs and after all, they share a lot of the same components.

It does really depend on your requirements, but the satellite world out there is huge. Freesat/Sky use the same Astra 2 satellite, but then there are plenty of foreign channels out there for the linguists (myself included).
    A separate digital receiver supporting DiSEqC and an appropriate satellite dish setup will allow you to watch thousands of channels and also allow you to record (if it's PVR compatible).

Most screens are still 50/60Hz, but some of the newer screens support 100/200Hz or even more. How significant this is I am not so sure. If you do buy a 37"+ screen look for one which is 1080p compliant. A lot of them are now as prices have come down and slowly, more AV equipment which all typically used to be stuck at 1080i are now finally available in 1080p.

Thank Post
    the satellite world out there is huge
    Absolutely, I've got a friend who had an interesting modified receiver, the flash remote-controlled movable big dish and the 27,000 channels thing years and years ago. Trouble is you seemed to spend more time choosing what you want to watch, than actually watching anything.

How significant this is I am not so sure.
    Depends on the viewer I guess. No where near as significant as it is for CRT (for me) because obviously LCDs are not scanning, but I can definitely tell, and thus do appreciate, the difference between 50 & 100 Hz LCD with fast moving images.

Thank Post
    I just bought the Panasonic for my son and I have to say it's a cracking telly...
    I have a 37" Sharp myself which is also pretty good but the Panasonic simply beats it on all counts.

It's DLNA certified with an RJ45 port in the back and already recieves iPlayer via Freesat.
    The built in SD card slot plays AVI movies and the 100hz gives stunning HD soccer viewing.
    It's also got 4 HDMI ports, £650 at most places but I got mine from Costco for £638 with a 5Yr warranty.
    It's a 10/10 from me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    It's a 10/10 from me.
    But which one is it then? Sounds like TX-L37V10B if it's got DNLA (although the G10B does have an ethernet socket - but I didn't think that was supposed to do anything besides the FreeSat/iPlayer stuff).

Thank Post
    How much can you spend, if you can stretch your wallet the G15 is a good one (42" about £700 on the net now). Only comes in 42" or 46". It has the Viera Cast feature so you can use Youtube directly on the TV using the remote which is nice as well as other services, used it a few times nice addition. You get the DNLA, 600Hz NeoPDP which does blacks very nice, Freesat.

Thank Post
    PANASONIC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make the call dude!!!

Thank Post
    Another fan of Samsung here, you wont be dissappointed with the Panny tho seems to have a great spec, go for it

Thank Post
    I've got the 32" version of the Sony, and I have to say I love it.

I am slightly biased in that I pretty much buy only Sony when I look for electrical items though, as I've been buying them for 15 years and never had a problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast